bents' bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

bents' bag

Postby bents » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:06 am

I've been tweaking my bag lately, so I'd thought I'd use this as a log of how it changes and also to ask a couple questions. All discs are 166-172g.

beat in s-PD: straight distance, or long anhyzers
newer s-PD: big hyzers, or big s-curves

beat in star TL: tunnels, turnovers, anything requiring little fade (most often used driver)
newer star TL: anything i might use the beat TL for, but where fade is OK, and flipping is not OK.

beat in DX Roc: anything where very low fade is good, less than 250 feet (used quite a lot)
newer KC-pro Roc: hyzers or anhyzer-to-flex under 250 feet (least used disc)

two S wizards: putting and straight approaches, up to about 150 feet

Within the last few months I've gotten better snap and better spin, letting me throw the TL's for things that used to be teebird shots. I realized that my beloved beat TL doesn't have a backup, so I started using a new TL to wear down instead of a teebird. The weird thing is that the teebird used to be my favorite disc, so it was hard to take out of the bag, but the TL is doing good work.

I also just replaced my aviars with wizards because the aviars felt too soft in my hand and everyone here loves wizards.

I'm looking for recommendations for a pure distance driver. I just got a couple of cheap used wraiths but haven't tried them yet. I haven't used anything faster than a PD in a long time, but I can throw the PD 350-380 feet. I definitely don't want an ultra-super long range disc because they feel weird in my hand. I'm hoping the wraith has similar stability as the PD if they're thrown at the same speed (but with more fade from the wraith of course).
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Re: bents' bag

Postby JR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:54 am

It is hard to beat the Beast when you cap the wing width.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bsnone1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Have you thrown the Orions? I really like both the LS and LF and they are the biggest discs in my current bag. The LF might overlap your PD but the LS is straight and looooooong. Very glidey.
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby bents » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Both the beast and OLS are about the same speed as a PD, but more understable, right? Couldn't I get a similar result with a p-PD? Maybe I'll try that.

Also, I guess I was looking for something with a wider wing than a PD but not as wide as a katana. I used to throw wraiths and could hold on to them OK, but I hated the katana. Looking at the inbounds flight chart it looks like a DD hysteria might be exactly what I'm looking for... same wing width as a wraith, but more HSS and less LSS for straighter flight like I love.
bents
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:36 pm

DD is actually more overstable than the Wraith with less glide and D sorry. Beast and OLS are less fading than the PD and the Beast is more HSS than the OLS. The PD is speed 9.5 in practice and the Beast is 10. The trouble of other discs is that the Beast is an equalizer from the low fade making it longer than the rest of speed 10 discs. For me Flow/Wraith/TD/Destro/FR Sword fall in the same distance group with the Beast. I need to go to 13 to outdistance the Beast. Out of the warp speeders King has the most manageable shape and most are flippy so the most overstable specimens only can work. Those are domey high PLH VIPs. Those can work even in uner max weight when the majority of Kings are flatter and low PLH ones and flip like hell at power in max weight.

Flows come in many flavors as well with flatter topped low PLH ones flipping like hell and domey Opto high PLH ones not at all. So maybe an in between model could be golfable while marginally longer than the Beast. DGA makes a Destroyer competitor and i threw mine so little and so long time ago that i forget even the name :-) Again they vary and mine was an early flippy one and they made only a little flipping distance monsters in the early production. Gateway Slayer seemed to fly nicely too but Gateway and consistency again. Wide winged discs are difficult to produce.

P PD breaks into a hyzer flipper. Then it is the longest variation of the PD and pretty long but still not Beast territory.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby bents » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Cool, thanks for the details as usual. I have a buddy with a beast so I'll borrow his and try it out.
bents
Noob

Postby bents » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Update: I tried beasts, wraiths and a few other distance drivers. I don't think I throw hard enough for the extra speed to make much of a difference. In fact, I put teebirds back in my bag, and was immediately throwing them almost as far as the PD but with more accuracy. So I took the PD's out for a while.

Also I tried a z-buzzz and it was really nice. It seems like it overlaps a lot with the star TL, but is a little more HSS and less LSS, and a little slower than the TL. It might be better than rocs on my local course because the buzz gets more distance when thrown low, under the ceilings here. But I can't throw forehand and the rocs seem to be better on anhyzers because they have more lift. So I'm going with both for now.
bents
Noob

Postby bents » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Update: I got rid of the roc. After comparing the wizard and aviar during putting practice, the aviar seems to work better, so I'm putting with it again. My bag:

2x champion teebirds, one pretty new, one beat.
1x star TL
1x buzzz,
1x wizard for short drives & approaches
2x dx aviar for putting & approaches

Now I have a gap I need to fill. The Buzzz is too fast and too overstable for some short drives. The wizard feels weird in my hand with a power grip. It has a very tall rim, so my fingers barely reach the top, and my ring finger doesn't have anywhere comfortable to fit. The aviar feels somewhat better, but is way too understable for me to drive with. Can anyone recommend a putter or slow midrange which is not too tall, and stable enough to drive? Premium plastic or at least more durable than DX preferred. Thanks!
bents
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:34 am

Aurora MS. There might be others as well but that should work.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion