My bag... what do I need?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My bag... what do I need?

Postby mikepowles » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:34 pm

I have just recently become more serious about the game, and want to build a solid bag. So don't be afraid to tell me whats up. Anyways, here is what I have:

distance drivers:
Nuke SS
Star Teerex
Star SL
Champ Tern

Fairways:
MVP shock
MVP amp

Mids:
Star Mako
MVP tangent
MVP vector

Putters:
Anodes

I know I need a straight fairway. Right now I just hyzer flip the amp, but I am looking at adding a stalker. Other than that, what needs fixin?
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Re: My bag... what do I need?

Postby Calhack111 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:55 am

You could also use a more overstable putter, for the wind. An ion or rhyno would be good for that. I would also suggest choosing either the nuke as or the tern, and maybe an understable driver unless the nuke as or tern is for you. And for the straight fairway I personally love teebirds but I hear the stalker is good to.
PD Saint Firebird Roadrunner Teebird Hornet Buzzz Stingray Jokeri Voodoo
Calhack111
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby mikepowles » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:18 am

Calhack111 wrote:You could also use a more overstable putter, for the wind. An ion or rhyno would be good for that. I would also suggest choosing either the nuke as or the tern, and maybe an understable driver unless the nuke as or tern is for you. And for the straight fairway I personally love teebirds but I hear the stalker is good to.

Thanks for the advice. Another putter is definitely something I will look at. Probly the ion, just because im used to how the anode feels. As for the drivers, I use the tern as my understable, and the nuke is more just for those wide open fairways where I want to throw as far as I can. Do you think I should still get something more understable, or can I get away with the tern? And if I need something else, what would you suggest? Again, thanks for your help.
mikepowles
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:24 pm

You seem to like the MVP discs, so why not a Volt as your straight fairway? I would also think the Nuke SS and the Tern overlap and one could go? A couple other nice options for a fairway driver are the Escape and the Striker. Hard to say for sure, though not knowing what kind of distance you have.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 am

For me the tern is more understable than the nuke ss. I can hyzer flip the tern a lot easier. That's why I carry both. How straight does the volt actually finish though? That is the only reason I was thinking stalker, but if the volt finishes straighter than I thought, that'd be great, because I do like MVP. But are there any glaring holes where I don't have a disc for a certain shot?
mikepowles
Noob

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:04 pm

and as for my distance, I can throw the amp about 330 in an open field, 310 golf distance. With the nuke ss or tern, I can throw about 350-370 golf distance.
mikepowles
Noob

Postby PMantle » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:15 pm

discmonkey42 wrote:You seem to like the MVP discs, so why not a Volt as your straight fairway? A couple other nice options for a fairway driver are the Escape ....
This.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Monocacy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Mako and Tangent seem like potential overlap. In what situations would you use one rather than the other?

A lot of folks find that the Stalker is not much longer than a Buzzz.

Ion is not that much more stable than the Anode. You may want to try something more overstable like a Rhyno or Jokeri for windy days, sharp hooks, etc.

I still think seasoned DX Teebird whenever anyone is looking for a straight fairway driver, but we have had this discussion before so I'll leave the subject alone. :wink:
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:12 pm

You have to consider that some of the LSS will beat out of any disc. The disc that flies like you are looking for when new may not be the best disc for you to end up with as they are too understable to withstand a good amount of use and stay straight. I've found that the best fairway drivers need to start off more stable so that once seasoned, they have lost some of that end of flight fade but haven't seasoned into too much early turn. The Volt, Teebird, and Escape all fall into this category. None of them are exactly what you are asking for when brand new, but they all season into exactly the disc you are looking for.

It's the same reason people carry seasoned rocs. Takes a lot of beating to get a roc flippy, but not much for it to stay straight until the end of its flight.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby mikepowles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 am

discmonkey42 wrote:You have to consider that some of the LSS will beat out of any disc. The disc that flies like you are looking for when new may not be the best disc for you to end up with as they are too understable to withstand a good amount of use and stay straight. I've found that the best fairway drivers need to start off more stable so that once seasoned, they have lost some of that end of flight fade but haven't seasoned into too much early turn. The Volt, Teebird, and Escape all fall into this category. None of them are exactly what you are asking for when brand new, but they all season into exactly the disc you are looking for.

It's the same reason people carry seasoned rocs. Takes a lot of beating to get a roc flippy, but not much for it to stay straight until the end of its flight.

Maybe I will pick up a volt then.
mikepowles
Noob

Postby mikepowles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:33 am

Monocacy wrote:Mako and Tangent seem like potential overlap. In what situations would you use one rather than the other?

Yeah that is true. My mako is getting sort of flippy. I love the disc, but honestly I could probably drop it for now, since the tangent hyzer flips pretty well and can fly pretty straight when you do it right. So what would be a better mid to put in between my tangent and vector? Probably something that is slightly overstable? I would say I would go with an axis and just have all mvp, but the axis would overlap with the tangent too much too I think.
mikepowles
Noob

Postby Monocacy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:29 am

What midrange shots are you missing with a Vector and Tangent/Mako in the bag? If you want something in between I would suggest something stable but workable like the Axis, Buzzz, Fugitive, King Cobra, etc.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JTdisc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:24 pm

I agree that the Tangent and Vector should cover all of your midrange shots. Tangent for understable and Vector for slightly overstable, not really a big need for the Mako3 or another midrange.

I would definitely pick up a Volt. I carry all 3 MVP fairways and the Volt is the one I throw the most by far. I've though about replacing my amp with an F7 or River, but YMMV. I definitely think you're missing out on the best disc that MVP makes by not carrying a Volt.

I love the Stalker, but just don't carry it much because it doesn't go that much farther than my mids, and I get a lot of good utility out of the speed 9 fairways like the Volt or Lat 64 Saint.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby mikepowles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 pm

JTdisc wrote:I agree that the Tangent and Vector should cover all of your midrange shots. Tangent for understable and Vector for slightly overstable, not really a big need for the Mako3 or another midrange.

I was thinking that maybe something like the truth would be a nice disc to put in between the tangent and vector. Thoughts on that?
mikepowles
Noob

Postby JTdisc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:26 pm

I love the truth, it's my favorite mid because it just goes dead straight for me. That said, you're starting to get a bit of overlap because the Vector is a bit similar to the Truth, with just a tic more stability and more fade at the end. If I was going to carry 3 I'd go with a Tensor/Verdict/Pain, Truth, and Tangent so there would be more separation between the overstable mid and the stable. If I could only carry one mid, it would be the Truth.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion