Uncle B's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Uncle B's Bag

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:03 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:One other thing. I just ordered me a Pinnacle Rival.

I seen there was a Icon Rival as well. Anyone have any experience with that plastic?

I'm pretty sure both the Patriot and Rival my friend has is a Pinnacle. I'll ask him too about this,but thought I would ask in here also.

Yes, Icon is like Star, maybe a little softer and more grippy. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Pinnacle I've seen is like a more opaque Champion, or an Opto-GL blend if you can picture it.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:10 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:One other thing. I just ordered me a Pinnacle Rival.

I seen there was a Icon Rival as well. Anyone have any experience with that plastic?

I'm pretty sure both the Patriot and Rival my friend has is a Pinnacle. I'll ask him too about this,but thought I would ask in here also.

Yes, Icon is like Star, maybe a little softer and more grippy. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Pinnacle I've seen is like a more opaque Champion, or an Opto-GL blend if you can picture it.

Sweet. I've held the Opto blend in my hands before so I know how that feels. That is good to know about the Rival.

My lighter 5x Valkyrie is the same way. It's about 6 to 8 years old(i think) has a slight dome and is a hyzerflip machine. Completely different from my 4x Valkyrie which is a flat top and quite stable.

Me and my buddy was talking about this the other day when we were talking about me getting a Rival. He was saying that when i get use to the Rival, I may be reaching more for it than I would for my Cyclone's. He suggested me getting a more Understable type Fairway Driver. He said the Elite X Cyclone is almost understable but not quite. He suggested me either getting a Leopard,Patriot or a River. He did say that the next time we play he would let me try his 2 Rivers he never throws anymore and if i like them he would give them to me at a pretty cheap price.

I like my Cyclones,but If there is gonna be overlap I don't want it in the bag. You know if I did go for the understable type Fairway I would want something that is rated to go in the 350ft range. I also have a Underworld,but I really never gave that disc a chance. It might be too Understable,heck it may be a lot different now that I'm using my 2 finger grip.
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Ok better yet I'll lay out all my options I have for Fairway Drivers.

The Rival is for sure going to be much needed due to my Forehands getting better and the need for a wind fighting True Fairway.

My others options are these.

ESP Cyclone
Elite X Cyclone
Ti Stalker
Z Stalker
Opto River
TP Underworld

Which ones could you see in your bag and which ones would overlap? Kind of at a crossroads right now since me and buddy got to talking discs the other day and showed me I was missing a True Understable Fairway in the bag.

Man I love disc golf :lol:

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:29 pm

You might find the River interesting. It has a wider diameter, is slower in flight, has huge glide, and is stable-understable. Not good into a headwind though. I've thrown both GL an Opto, and Opto is a little more stable, like usual with Lat 64.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:42 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:You might find the River interesting. It has a wider diameter, is slower in flight, has huge glide, and is stable-understable. Not good into a headwind though. I've thrown both GL an Opto, and Opto is a little more stable, like usual with Lat 64.

Good to know man.

Ever since we talked I've kinda had my eye on a Patriot too. Would the River and Patriot be comparable to each other? Shoot if they are and I like the River I'll just get his Rivers instead of waiting on the Patriot,plus it would be cheaper on me. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Found a Thread about The River. gonna read a few pages before I go to bed. 3rd shift tonight. :| :lol:

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Main feature of the River is its glide, like no other...that can be good and bad, great to watch but can sometimes get you trouble, and can be hard to range properly.

Underworld will be more understable than the River or Patriot.

Patriot should be a nice neutral-stable compliment to the Rival, like the Leopard to the Teebird...that's what Legacy had in mind there.

Stalkers offer great control, truly like a longer Buzzz. It seemed a little too slow for me for fairway duty though.

I don't see any real reason to drop your Cyclones, unless you want something a little longer.

As for which of those I could see in my bag, probably the Patriot and Rival, in the right plastic(Pinnacle). I was using an opto Vision and champ Teebird as my fairway drivers, but recently switched to Z Avenger SS and Teebird. Hyzer-flip the Z Avenger SS at lower power and straight, straight, straight! That and nice controlled anhyzers. Nowhere near as understable as the ESP's. Teebird is for fade, hyzers, and headwind.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks for the Input.

I ended up really liking the Rivers. He had a Gold Line and a Opto in 170 grams. Sold them to me for 5 bucks. :D

I used them 5 times today. Gold Line for this sweet Straight shot through the woods that slowly tracked right and was about 25ft from the basket.

The other 4 were for more control Shots. First 2 shots with the Opto were terrible,then I figured out how to throw it. This disc loves to be finessed so on my next two Tee Shots with it I parked them both for birdies.

This is for sure a spot in my bag that was missing. Hey I really like my Cyclones,but since I'm getting a Rival soon the Cyclones will probably be out. River is for sure gonna be staying in my bag.

Even though we came in 2nd place today in doubles,I was hitting some major putts with my Judge. The Classic blend keeps getting tackier the more you beat it in. I don't really like them for driving,but as of late my Pro D Zone has become my go to Putting driver. It is so straight now it's not even funny. More than likely I'll need to get another since this one is getting a little beat.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:06 am

Rivers can handle hyzer flips to 400'+ in opto at least. As long as there is no front quarter wind or hard sidewinds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 am

JR wrote:Rivers can handle hyzer flips to 400'+ in opto at least. As long as there is no front quarter wind or hard sidewinds.

The disc is so easy to throw I could see that happening.

The Opto I got off him isn't like champion plastic. It's more like a blend of Opto and Gold Line. Feels awesome in the hand because it is so grippy.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:10 am

Was reading the other day about the Dynamic Discs Truth. Well I liked what I was reading so I decided to order me a Lucid Truth. It seems like it would compliment my Comets/Fuses really well. The Buzzz I have doesn't go well with those 2 understable midranges so I got the Truth.

I also got me a Lucid Judge too. Was told it was great at Driving off the tee so I guess I'm gonna give the Judge another chance off the Tee. If not I'm throwing my Opto Pure back in. The only reason I took the Pure out was that I wanted to use less molds,sometimes I'm not so sure using less molds is a good thing.

I do need to quit buying discs though. :lol:

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:35 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:Thanks for the Input.

I ended up really liking the Rivers. He had a Gold Line and a Opto in 170 grams. Sold them to me for 5 bucks. :D

I used them 5 times today. Gold Line for this sweet Straight shot through the woods that slowly tracked right and was about 25ft from the basket.

The other 4 were for more control Shots. First 2 shots with the Opto were terrible,then I figured out how to throw it. This disc loves to be finessed so on my next two Tee Shots with it I parked them both for birdies.

This is for sure a spot in my bag that was missing. Hey I really like my Cyclones,but since I'm getting a Rival soon the Cyclones will probably be out. River is for sure gonna be staying in my bag.

Even though we came in 2nd place today in doubles,I was hitting some major putts with my Judge. The Classic blend keeps getting tackier the more you beat it in. I don't really like them for driving,but as of late my Pro D Zone has become my go to Putting driver. It is so straight now it's not even funny. More than likely I'll need to get another since this one is getting a little beat.

I liked the River too while I had it in my bag. Eventually went with other discs though. I don't consider it a true 'control driver' even though it does have a slower flight. Not stable enough, especially in wind. Although domey opto's are the most stable. See how you do with it over time, maybe it will be a keeper.

So many similar putters out there. Personally, I like the feel of Gateway putters.

I haven't throw a Truth, but have held one(lucid). Real comfortable profile and rim! More so than the Fuse or Warship. Looks like another winner for DD.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:41 pm

The Truth is a great disc. The more I throw it, the more I like it. Never thought the Buzzzs would come out of the bag, but they're gone. Compliment it with a Verdict and and now you're cookin' with gas!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 pm

A lot of great midranges have come out over the last few years, it's hard to not want them all in your bag. I finally dropped my opto Fuse for a Super Stingray, which I like better. The Fuse is squirrely in any kind of breeze, the SS is more reliable, and just as fadeless. I'm using a Z Wasp for OS duty.

P.S. Better hope JR doesn't come in with a 2000 word defense of the Buzzz...again. :wink:
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:58 am

discmonkey42 wrote:The Truth is a great disc. The more I throw it, the more I like it. Never thought the Buzzzs would come out of the bag, but they're gone. Compliment it with a Verdict and and now you're cookin' with gas!

That's what I do too. great minds eh?

:lol: :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion