Uncle B's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Uncle B's Bag

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 am

Well, jump putts are entirely different, and you do need to bend your legs more and use them like a spring. Spin putts are mostly wrist action, while push putts are with the arm rigid and like a pendulum motion. Extreme crouching makes no sense to me because how do you regulate your release point with that much vertical movement each time? Best to keep it simple, less moving parts. Most important are balance and comfort, when it comes right down to it.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 am

BentElbow11 wrote:Well, jump putts are entirely different, and you do need to bend your legs more and use them like a spring. Spin putts are mostly wrist action, while push putts are with the arm rigid and like a pendulum motion. Extreme crouching makes no sense to me because how do you regulate your release point with that much vertical movement each time? Best to keep it simple, less moving parts. Most important are balance and comfort, when it comes right down to it.

Nope spin putts are not at all wrist alone throws. You regulate all the variables with aiming with the late acceleration. The same is applicable to drives as well. You do not get as much pressure in the fingers though. and i do not crouch extremely and even if i did practice helps. The point is to not use full power anywhere so that every body part and movement remains controlled.

I recommend testing different crouch depths in ten feet intervals to see where the wrist action is not enough. Then adding the tips from earlier in this thread to see how in control you can stay with a fairly relaxed arm and seeing how that chanhes the make rate.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:11 am

Don't agree with your stmts about wrist action with spin putts. You do NOT want your elbow or your arm moving around. And crouching is not applicable. Proper spin putting technique uses the wrist, not the arm. A short and quick wrist action is key.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:52 am

Like a Snake Strike Putt.Right?
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:40 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:Like a Snake Strike Putt.Right?

You got it!

Now try and convince JR...he must look like a sumo wrestler, while trying to control a whole bunch of non-existent putting variables.

Relax, go through your routine, and hit the chains.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:26 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:

You got it!

Now try and convince JR...he must look like a sumo wrestler, while trying to control a whole bunch of non-existent putting variables.

Speaking of that,very funny thing really. The whole spreading the legs out thing was just a one hit wonder i guess. Putted horrible the next 2 days trying it. :lol:

Went back to a Snake Strike Putt and was nailing 30 footers like it weren't no thang. At the end of my Snake Strike Putt my hand is flat and I give it this flick at the end like I'm back handing someone in the face real quick. If I do it correctly it goes up then down like drop putt. if I'm off a little bit with my wrist it still goes straight for the chains.

Just your basic shoulder width stance that is staggered a bit. So easy and simple. I just need to quit trying all these crazy variations and just stick to what I know. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:38 pm

One other thing JR. I'm done with the Terns for now. I'm gonna really work with those Beasts. Gonna get a Star,Pro and a DX to go with my Champion and G-Star.

Remember that place that I was talking about that just put those new 9 holes in? Well that one Hole that is 468ft is pretty flat and I was out driving my Beasts by maybe 10 to 15ft with the Terns and a Pro Destroyer. I mean should I really be throwing the Tern if I might be getting that much more distance out of them? A part of me says I shouldn't even be throwing them if that is all I can get out of them.

I'm probably going to hold off on that Suspect and go with the Beasts next month. After throwing that Flat hole so much I can see that there will be no overlap between a Beast and a PD. I got one for Tailwinds and no Winds and when I have headwinds or just a crazy hyzer shot go with the PD.

Valkyries may go too. If The Patriot is a lot like a Leopard but farther I'm gonna use one or two of those instead of my Rivers. I need something that can handle the Low Ceiling shots and just open Fairway Shots and can handle a good amount of power at the same time. If I put too much power on my Rivers they are going bye bye,I got to be more finesse like with them.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:

You got it!

Speaking of that,very funny thing really. The whole spreading the legs out thing was just a one hit wonder i guess. Putted horrible the next 2 days trying it. :lol:

Went back to a Snake Strike Putt and was nailing 30 footers like it weren't no thang. At the end of my Snake Strike Putt my hand is flat and I give it this flick at the end like I'm back handing someone in the face real quick. If I do it correctly it goes up then down like drop putt. if I'm off a little bit with my wrist it still goes straight for the chains.

Just your basic shoulder width stance that is staggered a bit. So easy and simple. I just need to quit trying all these crazy variations and just stick to what I know. :D

Yeah, most of putting is psychological...and focus. When I miss or am having a bad putting day, I'm usually not focused, not zeroing in on the center pole or a chain link, rushing my routine, and other distractions entering in. Or I get lazy on the "hit", especially on longer putts.

It's funny because if you think about it, you've got this nice big basket staring at you and all you have to do is hit the chains reasonably center to make your putts. If you can do it some of the time, you should be able to do it all of the time. Distractions or just thinking about the putt too much can be the problem a lot of the time, IMO. I agree, keep it simple.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:48 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:One other thing JR. I'm done with the Terns for now. I'm gonna really work with those Beasts. Gonna get a Star,Pro and a DX to go with my Champion and G-Star.

Remember that place that I was talking about that just put those new 9 holes in? Well that one Hole that is 468ft is pretty flat and I was out driving my Beasts by maybe 10 to 15ft with the Terns and a Pro Destroyer. I mean should I really be throwing the Tern if I might be getting that much more distance out of them? A part of me says I shouldn't even be throwing them if that is all I can get out of them.

I'm probably going to hold off on that Suspect and go with the Beasts next month. After throwing that Flat hole so much I can see that there will be no overlap between a Beast and a PD. I got one for Tailwinds and no Winds and when I have headwinds or just a crazy hyzer shot go with the PD.

Valkyries may go too. If The Patriot is a lot like a Leopard but farther I'm gonna use one or two of those instead of my Rivers. I need something that can handle the Low Ceiling shots and just open Fairway Shots and can handle a good amount of power at the same time. If I put too much power on my Rivers they are going bye bye,I got to be more finesse like with them.

Champ Beasts can be very straight flyers with no wind. And pretty darn long too. I had a champ Beast in my bag for awhile, maybe 2-3 years ago. Along with a champ Orc and champ Roadrunner. Haven't throw a Star Beast, but Pro's can be pretty fun, until they get beat up too much.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:51 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:

You got it!

Yeah, most of putting is psychological...and focus. When I miss or am having a bad putting day, I'm usually not focused, not zeroing in on the center pole or a chain link, rushing my routine, and other distractions entering in. Or I get lazy on the "hit", especially on longer putts.

It's funny because if you think about it, you've got this nice big basket staring at you and all you have to do is hit the chains reasonably center to make your putts. If you can do it some of the time, you should be able to do it all of the time. Distractions or just thinking about the putt too much can be the problem a lot of the time, IMO. I agree, keep it simple.

Exactly man.

I've been off and on with the Snake Strike putt too. This old man who I use to play rounds with when I was younger was a madman with a snake strike putt. He used Wizards and could make 40ft putts look so damn easy it wasn't even funny. Never jumped putted either. Just that quick Snake Strike Putt. In honor of that old man I'm gonna stick with this Snake Strike Putt :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:05 pm

It's also Dave Dunipace's recommended putting method. The thing to concentrate on is no lateral arm/elbow movement and the quick hit. Arm and/or elbow moving sideways is a sure way to miss right(RHBH).
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:One other thing JR. I'm done with the Terns for now. I'm gonna really work with those Beasts. Gonna get a Star,Pro and a DX to go with my Champion and G-Star.

Champ Beasts can be very straight flyers with no wind. And pretty darn long too. I had a champ Beast in my bag for awhile, maybe 2-3 years ago. Along with a champ Orc and champ Roadrunner. Haven't throw a Star Beast, but Pro's can be pretty fun, until they get beat up too much.

Sorry I left so quick earlier. It was the Ol Ladies fault :D

I can tell that the Beast is gonna get farther for me the more I get use to it. For the past 2 or 3 years I've tried to get use to those dang high speed drivers. I had an old Star Beast that was pretty good for me back then and I traded it away(basically gave) for a Katana my buddy couldn't use. I seen for every 1 out of 3 drives I was hitting over 400ft,but the other 2 drives were horrible. I'd rather have consistency and something that feels good in my hand(Beast,PD) than have something that I may do good with on 1 out of every 3 throws.

You know one thing that got me back into Throwing Beasts,well besides Talking with JR. :lol: , was watching Barry Schultz throw these things. He is masterful with a Beast. It's no wonder it's his Signature Disc. I mean heck it kicked out 2 discs from my bag. :D

Back to the Putting thing. Yeah I know what you mean about the arm moving to the right. Everytime I would change my ways of Putting for something that worked just a bit I would have that movement. Even if I was focused it was still there. With the Snake Strike Putt as long as you stay Focused and know where the hit is at the end of the putt you are fine. Usually if I miss it's either too low or too high. That's a lot better than too left or too right.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Just updated the Bag. And With the Help of dgdave I am now the owner of a Icon Patriot. Just got to wait for it to get here. When he said it flew like a CE Leopard I was sold. :lol:

Hey JR,since you enjoy Beasts a lot have you by chance tried a Blizzard Beast,if so what is your thoughts on them?

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:35 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:

Sorry I left so quick earlier. It was the Ol Ladies fault :D

I can tell that the Beast is gonna get farther for me the more I get use to it. For the past 2 or 3 years I've tried to get use to those dang high speed drivers. I had an old Star Beast that was pretty good for me back then and I traded it away(basically gave) for a Katana my buddy couldn't use. I seen for every 1 out of 3 drives I was hitting over 400ft,but the other 2 drives were horrible. I'd rather have consistency and something that feels good in my hand(Beast,PD) than have something that I may do good with on 1 out of every 3 throws.

You know one thing that got me back into Throwing Beasts,well besides Talking with JR. :lol: , was watching Barry Schultz throw these things. He is masterful with a Beast. It's no wonder it's his Signature Disc. I mean heck it kicked out 2 discs from my bag. :D

Back to the Putting thing. Yeah I know what you mean about the arm moving to the right. Everytime I would change my ways of Putting for something that worked just a bit I would have that movement. Even if I was focused it was still there. With the Snake Strike Putt as long as you stay Focused and know where the hit is at the end of the putt you are fine. Usually if I miss it's either too low or too high. That's a lot better than too left or too right.

Yeah, the Beast is pretty easy to throw, with only a 2.0cm rim width. That's why I like the OLF and Orc over the Wraith or Destroyer, smaller rim. Unless you have a lot of real long holes on the courses you play, there's really no need for the max speed wide rimmed drivers. Can't go wrong with the Beast and PD, IMO. One's stable-straight, the other's overstable with reliable fade, and good into a headwind.

Right, if you miss it's either low or high...exactly what Dunipace says about the Snake Strike putt. And it means you should have fewer missed putts because you're eliminating any left or right movement.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:41 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:Just updated the Bag. And With the Help of dgdave I am now the owner of a Icon Patriot. Just got to wait for it to get here. When he said it flew like a CE Leopard I was sold. :lol:

Hey JR,since you enjoy Beasts a lot have you by chance tried a Blizzard Beast,if so what is your thoughts on them?

It's the Pinnacle version that resembles old CE plastic though, kind of a milky champ plastic. I've seen a few, and the white and salmon colored ones are the most CE-like. Icon is like Star.

I think JR's busy snoring in Finland about now. Unless he's a real early riser.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion