My (almost) all Discraft bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My (almost) all Discraft bag

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Ok, even though I hate sifting through the equipment section now to find a thread that isn't about rating your bag (how about it's own section? it'd be a nice addition IMO and would clear up the clutter in the equipment section) but after reading so many I decided I'd be part of the problem. :D I decided to make my bag as much from one company as possible because it's less complicated to me when I'm on the course. Couldn't give up my Wizards, so here's my almost all Discraft/DGA bag:

ESP Pulse x2- One beat, one new. For backhand headwind drives and forehand max D.
ESP Flash- Max D holes 350ft plus
Proline Rogue- straight shots, really easy to flip flat, can throw it farther than any other disc I've ever owned
ESP Avenger SS- huge turnovers and rollers
X Predator
Z XL
ESP Tracker- for when I need a little more stability than my XL can provide
DGA proline Squall- all around mid.
170 Med Wizard

My squall has handled the wind pretty well, but sometimes it's tough to trust it in the wind, I'm thinking about adding an overstable mid like a Drone or Wasp. I've been thinking about switching back to the D Magnet which I putt with for 5 years before switching to the Wizard a year ago. Would make the Discraft bag complete. But I just don't like the way the Mags handle the wind.
I was also considering putting an Avenger in my bag, but I don't really know if that's necessary. Feel free to make comments or suggestions. But if you do recommend a disc, please keep it in the DGA/Discraft lines.
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:13 pm

Out of those discs I would make my bag:

Wizard
Squall Id rather see a blake approved mid (Roc)
z XL (should be stable enough to make the tracker obsolete, especially if its max weight or close)
x Pred (in various stages of wear can handle max D, straight shots, backhand headwinds, forehands)
Z Pred for overstable duties which you didnt have a disc for before.

In my opinion there is no need for the avenger SS, rogue, flash, pulse or tracker.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby scoot_er » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:16 pm

I would say to keep the tracker because I have it for the same reason. Also get a Force because it is fairly reliable and if you get a stable one it will basically match an ESP Pred.
scoot_er
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Grayson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:30 pm

scoot_er wrote:I would say to keep the tracker because I have it for the same reason. Also get a Force because it is fairly reliable and if you get a stable one it will basically match an ESP Pred.

I've been demo-ing the Force right now, but I just don't think I have the arm for it. I really can't find any situations where I would use it over my Pulse. I have yet to really break in my forces, has anyone gotten theirs broken in yet?
I'm just now getting to where I can get some decent D out of my overstable plastic since I've been throwing more understable discs like Valkyries and TLs for years. I know Bratten can really crush a Pred far, but I think I'm a long way off from dropping my stable/understable max D discs.
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby J-Man » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:06 pm

I gotta agree with you anarak, about the Force, I just don't have the arm for it. Stick with those X Preds, and stock up. I'm just now starting to feel the pinch of Discraft dumping them (I like them under 170), but I have some back-stock. My only suggestion as to your bag is find as few driver molds as you can to get the job done, then experiment with plastics and weights of those molds. You'll find like the X Pred that a few of the same driver molds broken in just right will handle most any situation, and they feel the same in the hand. Currently I throw 2 driver molds, 2 mids and the ever amazing Soft Magnet; the sooner I can get within 200' the better, I just pull out the Mag. As to DGA molds, well they are made for DGA by Discraft so they qualify as Discraft.
Now I will take out my drivers come July on casual rounds (not for tournaments) to experiment with a few other drivers, but for the last few years the Crushes and Preds go back in the bag in August and the others go on the trading block. Have fun working it out, that's where the fun is anyway. J
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

bag

Postby twmccoy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:11 am

I like your setup. Here's what I'd do differently (this is just me though)

Dump the tracker.
Dump the squall and get a wasp or buzz. I love the squall but they are fairly rare and hard to replace, and they fly a little long for a mid.
Dump either the avenger SS or the rogue. They have similar stability. I personally would lose the avenger.

The pulse is a good choice for max distance. However they aren't that great in the wind. You ever throw the regular ESP surge? That is my favorite discraft driver. I do keep a first run pulse in the bag though.

Oh, and the force I got from you is a pig. I'm not giving up on it by any means, but it takes about all the arm I have to max this thing out. :)
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: My (almost) all Discraft bag

Postby jmammo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:10 am

anarak82 wrote:Ok, even though I hate sifting through the equipment section now to find a thread that isn't about rating your bag (how about it's own section? it'd be a nice addition IMO and would clear up the clutter in the equipment section)

There is already a thread about it. It is called What's in your bag - 2008 edition.
Here is the link:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=5080
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: bag

Postby SkaBob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 am

twmccoy wrote:Dump the squall and get a wasp or buzz. I love the squall but they are fairly rare and hard to replace, and they fly a little long for a mid.
Dump either the avenger SS or the rogue. They have similar stability. I personally would lose the avenger.

Now, I live pretty close to Discraft, so it's easier to get here, but the Squall's pretty easy to get in person, and all the online retailers sell it. Incidentally, the "Blake approved" comment further up the thread really gave me a chuckle... The Squall is a very nice disc. If it works for him, I say throw it.

I haven't thrown mine much lately, because I got a really nice Z Buzzz, but the Squall is a nice disc.

The Avenger SS is way, way, WAY flippier than the Rogue. They're similar in the power level/distance ratio, but unless I'm throwing into a wind, I REALLY have to work the Rogue to get it to hold a turn for it's whole flight. It's more stable than the FLX Avenger SS, even. I had a super light one (165g) that WAS good for these shots, but every other weight range above the low ones are pretty good about being more a max-D driver than a turnover one.

anarak82,

What I'd say is pick whichever you like best of the Rogue or the Flash. Down the road when you have one beat to snot, you can use it to replace the Avenger SS (or just pick up a min weight Rogue, especially flippy in purple). The flash has more fade than a Rogue, but if you're looking for fade on a distance drive, you shouldn't have a problem with your Pulses.

If you like your ESP tracker and want to consolidate to one control driver mold, remember the Z Tracker just came out into regular production. It's actually between the Z XL and the ESP Tracker in stability out of the box, but it's closer to the Z XL than the ESP Tracker. I was throwing XLs as my control driver, but now I keep Trackers in Z and a Photon-Glo in my bag.

Beyond those two points, I'd say you've got a good setup.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:01 am

The squall really isn't hard to find for me, and I buy a lot of discs online. I've got three right now, been using one for almost a year now and it still flys decent. It's kinda sad about my Flash/Rogue set up. My Rogues flip to straight and glide a long ways, but if it's a little windy (don't really kick past 20mph here) I'll use the Flash primarily. I don't really use the Pulse all that much, maybe on about 3 drives a round, unless it's windy or I'm throwing a lot of forehand shots.

I'll have to look into the Surge for added stability and maybe drop the Rogue, Flash or even the Pulse if there's no wind. I just haven't been patient with the Surge yet, it seems to be a little to stable at times, but lately I've been getting a lot more snap, so I'll test it out and see.
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion