My bag needing all advice/commentation

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My bag needing all advice/commentation

Postby almiller » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:00 am

So here is what is found in my bag, curious as to what you guys say about them as far as someone like me, not beginner not pro, been playingfor a while but tons of room for improvement. Heres my lineup

Champion Orc -172g
Pro Destroyer -175g
Elite z Cryztal buzzz-173-178g(pretty sure its 177 or 178)
Pro valkyrie -170g
Elite z wasp -175g
Champion wraith(semi gummy if possible)-164g
Champion gummy valkyrie - 149g
Star Beast (My goto driver) 165g
Dx classic roc -175g(My now putter)
Dx banshee -172g(My loveable beater)
Champion gummy Leopard -156g
-------------The following are "sub ins" that are technically my girlfriends who plays about once a month So im forced to make use of them.

Champion Firebird -174g
Dx Cro -168g
dx roc -175g
Champion gummy aviar -weight unknown but very light
elite z Putt'r 174g

The puttr is technically mine as well but i only use that n the aviar once in a blue moon since getting the dx roc, my first of all rocs. Any suggestions/warnings/flat out opionions on the discs? You can be cruel if it makes you feel better

Also what Im really looking for is a disc that I can use for a consistant S curve. It used to be my champion beast and since i switched to a star beast(lost my champion one) I havent been able to make my S curves with the star one. Does the plastic do that or did I just lose my touch with the beast?
I dont play because Im good, or because I want to be good, I play because I can.
almiller
Noob

Postby nickster9224 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:54 am

get a roadrunner or sidewinder for s curves. also try using any putter more. it gets you in good habits.
nickster9224
Tree Magnet

Re: My bag needing all advice/commentation

Postby tushamajig13 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:24 am

almiller wrote:Champion Orc -172g
Pro Destroyer -175g
Pro valkyrie -170g
Champion wraith(semi gummy if possible)-164g
Champion gummy valkyrie - 149g
Star Beast (My goto driver) 165g

Dx banshee -172g(My loveable beater)
Champion gummy Leopard -156g

Elite z Cryztal buzzz-173-178g(pretty sure its 177 or 178)
Dx classic roc -175g(My now putter)
Elite z wasp -175g

-------------The following are "sub ins" that are technically my girlfriends who plays about once a month So im forced to make use of them.

Champion Firebird -174g
Dx Cro -168g
dx roc -175g
Champion gummy aviar -weight unknown but very light
elite z Putt'r 174g

From a minimalist standpoint, you have far too many molds.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=640

I would recommend picking a few molds and getting them to do everything you want within a certain distance range. As such, here are my suggestions. I am basing my critique below assuming you have 325'-350' of power. If you have less or more, this will need some tweaking.

1. Stable Control Drivers
Severely lacking in this department. Teebirds, TLs Eagles, XLs, Leopards in heavier weights than yours, and Cyclones are very common fairway drivers.

2. Distance Drivers
choose between the wraith and the destroyer

3. Understable Driver
Those Valks should be plenty understable for this slot...keep both for varying amounts of turnover and/or hyzer-flip. Also, your light leopard should be good from controlled turnovers and hyzer flips, but its just not heavy enough to be a control driver.

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Again, depending on your power, the Orc/Beast should fill this slot.

5. Very Overstable Driver
174 Firebird....done...while the banshee is a good overstable driver, it is slower than the firebird and IMO, an inferior overstable disc. Maybe as the banshee is beat in more, it can become your stable control driver, but there are better discs out there for that slot, too.

Mids: I would go with the Wasp or Roc and ditch the Buzz, Cro, and the Classic Roc. THe Wasp and Roc are stable mids and if you get them in DX/D then they will wear into straight and understable midranges, thus eliminating the need for the straight flying classic roc and buzz. But until you get one to that point, keep either the Cro or Buzz for those shots....I would recommend the Buzz, but the Cryztal Plastic is a bit too stable IMO for the buzz. i would get a Z/ESP Buzz until you have a straight Roc/Wasp. Or if you dont want to buy new discs, just go with the cro...it is a straight flyer in DX and easy to throw in the weight you have.

Putters: The Classic Roc just isnt a putter. It may feel like a putter and its low profile feels better in some hands, but its just not a putter. Learn to play with a true putter (I would chose the putt'r out of what you have and if you are willing to invest, a heavy Wizard and if you dont like wizards/gateway then a heavy KC Aviar). It will help in the long run.

Again, these are just my suggestions. Everything you do in DG is entirely based on what works for you. Sorry for the long post, just trying to help.
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Re: My bag needing all advice/commentation

Postby garublador » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:11 am

almiller wrote:Also what Im really looking for is a disc that I can use for a consistant S curve. It used to be my champion beast and since i switched to a star beast(lost my champion one) I havent been able to make my S curves with the star one. Does the plastic do that or did I just lose my touch with the beast?
It depends on what you want the S curve for. If it's for line shaping then a DX Eagle-X, DX Gazelle, DX Cheetah (a bit more understable than the rest) or D Cyclone will be the easiest with which to shape lines.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby almiller » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:29 pm

ok so heres the new look of my bag a bit.

star beast 165
champion beast 174

champion wraith 164
pro wraith 172

champion banshee wt unknown but severl people confirm it feels 170-172
champion firebird 174

champion valk 149
pro valk 170

elite z cryztal buzzz 173-178
elite z wazp 175

"Classic" roc 175
z puttr 174

I think it gives me a pretty fair diversity, and alot to work with and learn on yea? And also I didnt really purposely try to get these pairs like this but it just kinda worked out. and I like it.
I dont play because Im good, or because I want to be good, I play because I can.
almiller
Noob

Postby almiller » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:40 am

bump for opinions on my cleaned up bag, oh and I dropped the elite z puttr and the classic roc and carry a 175 champion aviar and a gateway magic
almiller
Noob

Postby tushamajig13 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:07 am

almiller wrote:star beast 165
champion beast 174

champion wraith 164
pro wraith 172

champion banshee wt unknown but severl people confirm it feels 170-172
champion firebird 174

champion valk 149
pro valk 170

elite z cryztal buzzz 173-178
elite z wazp 175

"Classic" roc 175
z puttr 174

much better. if the beasts are really that controllable to you to be used as a stable control driver, then go for it. I would still recommend trying a fairway driver (Teebird, Gazelle, Cheetah, Leopard, XL, ...) because they are easier to control for most people. Also, if both the firebird and banshee are helping, then keep them but one should be fine.

almiller wrote:bump for opinions on my cleaned up bag, oh and I dropped the elite z puttr and the classic roc and carry a 175 champion aviar and a gateway magic

good work getting rid of the C Roc for putting duties. However, your putter set up is still a little shaky. The Champ Aviars are OOP so i would not recommend getting into them right now as their availability and price will not be conducive to getting backups. Also, if you like the Magic, I would stick with it. However, it is an understable putter so upshots and putts in the wind will be way difficult. BB Aviars, Wizards, and Challengers are the most popular stable putters for a reason: because they work the best in all conditions.

Also, get a D Buzz and beat it into understable for thos mid shots
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion