S.E.'s Bag...prepare to judge

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby adidadg » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:06 pm

victorb wrote:Well, it seems that the pros don't have much problem with turning over true stable discs at 150 class versus their max weight discs....see the Japan Open. As long as your technique is sound they will fly the same, with the noted differences I stated above. That's a discussion for another thread though.

Just because they can make them fly the same, doesnt mean they are throwing them the same. Im sure they would be toning down their power when throwing 150's.

From my experience, lighter weights always fly less stable. Im not saying they're way flippier but its definitley noticable.
adidadg

Postby JR » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 pm

adidadg wrote:
victorb wrote:Well, it seems that the pros don't have much problem with turning over true stable discs at 150 class versus their max weight discs....see the Japan Open. As long as your technique is sound they will fly the same, with the noted differences I stated above. That's a discussion for another thread though.

Just because they can make them fly the same, doesnt mean they are throwing them the same. Im sure they would be toning down their power when throwing 150's.

From my experience, lighter weights always fly less stable. Im not saying they're way flippier but its definitley noticable.

I'm no pro. In calm weather a 150 TB with flashing can take 360' from me no problem and even without the flashing it's pretty reliable to that distance.

When winds pick up things change. No matter how pro you are if you throw a 150 anything like there was no wind and the disc hits a gust of wind you didn't hear, feel or see moving the trees the disc is gonna flip. If you were going for distance. Meaning giving it a lot of power.

JO is usually windy I've been told. The fact that pros flipped 150 discs doesn't prove much. It may be the archer not the arrow or the wind. Rick Voakes uses 150s all the time everywhere. He probably knows them as well as Japanese players. He probably reads the wind better than most and takes off power accordingly. He's not the most powerful thrower around.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby garublador » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:36 am

JR wrote:No matter how pro you are if you throw a 150 anything like there was no wind and the disc hits a gust of wind you didn't hear, feel or see moving the trees the disc is gonna flip. If you were going for distance. Meaning giving it a lot of power.
I have a couple 130 or so gram S Spirits that won't flip into a wind. They get batted around like a mofo, but they don't flip.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby schla104 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:38 am

The difference between having 18 molds and having 8 is that you no longer rely on the disc. More of the outcome is placed on you and the line you put that disc on. Most people that carry 18 different molds are throwing them one way....FLAT. And yes, when you throw everything flat you need to carry 18 molds. I know, I was one of them. I realized after reading the article and thinking about why I had been disc golfing worse and worse and how I used to play better when I only had 1-2 discs. The thing that changed was that I had all these discs and instead of mastering one, I was mediocre with all of them.

When you really begin to get to know your discs and work on your line shaping, that's when you become a better disc golfer. It becomes about what you can do and not just hoping that the disc does what it should. Plus, it eliminates bad choices. If you have three different molds that are all a bit different but close to the line you want to take, say understable, you will pick one and it may end up being what you want or it may not. When you have one understable driver you know exactly how it flies and exactly how you can get it where it needs to go. It will take a long enough time to learn 8 molds well. And after you learn those 8 then you can add in a disc or two to see if you like something better than what you have. It really is sound advice and I would highly recommend it.

EDIT: Look through some of the Pro's bags. They aren't Pro's because they are lucky. They know what they are doing and they are doing what works.
~Pred~Wraith~SOLF~XL~Roc~Warlock~Wizard
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:36 pm

garublador wrote:
JR wrote:No matter how pro you are if you throw a 150 anything like there was no wind and the disc hits a gust of wind you didn't hear, feel or see moving the trees the disc is gonna flip. If you were going for distance. Meaning giving it a lot of power.
I have a couple 130 or so gram S Spirits that won't flip into a wind. They get batted around like a mofo, but they don't flip.

Constant wind it sounds like for you. New or with tuning my 130 S Spirit gets regularly flipped mid flight. First 200' straight then whamo. It' so bad around the ever changing swirling and gusting winds here with constant direction changes that I can't use it on windy days.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby garublador » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:08 am

JR wrote:Constant wind it sounds like for you. New or with tuning my 130 S Spirit gets regularly flipped mid flight. First 200' straight then whamo. It' so bad around the ever changing swirling and gusting winds here with constant direction changes that I can't use it on windy days.
Actually the first time I used them was in some fairly heavy, swirling winds. They performed the same for me in both steady and swirling winds. They don't flip but do get knocked around a lot.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Eric O » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:15 am

Here we go again with another one of these threads...
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:10 pm

garublador wrote:
JR wrote:Constant wind it sounds like for you. New or with tuning my 130 S Spirit gets regularly flipped mid flight. First 200' straight then whamo. It' so bad around the ever changing swirling and gusting winds here with constant direction changes that I can't use it on windy days.
Actually the first time I used them was in some fairly heavy, swirling winds. They performed the same for me in both steady and swirling winds. They don't flip but do get knocked around a lot.

Interesting. Does your disc have dome? Mine is like it was resting upside down on a table during cooling.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion