Gorilla's Tactics

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gorilla's Tactics

Postby GorillaTactics » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Hacking MORE molds out than ever.

Distance Drivers:
Star Orc 161 (tailwinds, hyzerflips)
Star Orc 167 ($$$$$)
Champ Orc 171 (recently lost :( but replacing soon-harder hyzer finish than 167)

Understable Distance Driver:
Star Roadrunner 168 (this was overlapping with my Beasts too much so I cut them out-this is more predictable with better glide anyway)

Stable Control Drivers:
Star TL 172
Glo TL 175

Overstable/Headwind/Sidearm Driver:
Champ Banshee 175

Mids:
Champ Roc 180
DX Roc 177 (x3 @ different wear stages)

Putters:
172 SS Wizard (x2, main putter)
172 Soft Wizard & 174 M Wizard (approaches, short drives)
Last edited by GorillaTactics on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Re: Gorilla's Bag

Postby Roy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:55 pm

GorillaTactics wrote:So I'm bored waiting for the Finals game to start and I'm done working...here's what I'm rolling with in my bag.

I'll bet you're even more bored now that they're playing, yikes 29 points up for the celtics :roll: :P
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby SiDeArM jUnKiE » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:31 pm

May want to think about ditching the Banshee for a Firebird. Longer for side arm shots and better for thumbers. Star Whippet X is also a good thumber disc too.
The glare from my head will blind you
SiDeArM jUnKiE
Tree Magnet

Postby GorillaTactics » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:11 am

I've thought about the firebird for overstable duties...I would put it in there in addition to the Banshees, as they're one of my fairway drivers I use constantly. firebird is much longer, banshees are like a teebird that fades harder.

I was considering a Max or XCal for the pig, as well. suggestions for everyone's favorite overstable disc are welcome.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby latitude » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:15 am

I bought a Star Xcaliber for overstable duties, well it's kinda overstable but not enought imo, for me it flips in a mod headwind.

Earlier I used a Champ Banshee, but later on bought a Star Firebird. And so far, I like the Firebird more than my Banshee.
latitude
Fairway Surgeon

Postby GorillaTactics » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Updates to the max. Feedback welcome, go nuts. And thanks to the people who have traded me some of these discs that I love so very very much. 8)
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:48 pm

It's interesting to see that all your drivers and putters are 172 or less (except the Banshee) but you like max weight Rocs; why is that?

It also seems like you throw more understable stuff... have you thrown Leopards and Monarchs? If so, what did you think?

It's funny... with a name like Gorilla I would have expected all max weight overstables! :D
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby GorillaTactics » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:55 pm

I guess I just feel like I have more control with a heavier midrange disc. I don't throw my mids as hard as my drivers, so I don't mind losing a bit of distance I might get with a lighter weight mid in favor of control and reliability in the wind.

Haven't thrown a Monarch yet, I like the roadrunner so I haven't bothered. I like Leopards, that Squall flies kinda like one with a bit more fade at the end. But really domey and glidey, which I like for its particular purpose. I throw my roommates leopard sometimes and like it, but I will have to buy my own or pry it from his cold dead fingers if I want to test it out more.

I'm gorilla sized but not gorilla armed yet, unfortunately. No max weight overstables for me (except that banshee, hoo boy). :lol:
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:04 pm

I have found the Monarch to be understable with good glide but still has a good amount of fade at the very tail end of the throw. I like it...
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby GorillaTactics » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Buh. Weather is not cooperating so I'm geeking out on here instead of playing actual disc golf. Any other comments/suggestions?
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Yeah, I have one. Does the Xcaliber really flip in a headwind? I figured that thing is so beefy it would do alright.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby GorillaTactics » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:38 pm

I dunno, I don't own one. I've found that if a wind is too stiff for my champ Orc to fly reliably, then I'm probably throwing my Banshee and trying to place it instead of trying to crush it. I have heard multiple people say they have still gotten Xcals to flip over into crazy winds, but I didn't end up putting a super-fast overstable disc in my bag because I just can't get the intended flight out of it with my distance at this point.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:27 pm

GorillaTactics wrote:Any other comments/suggestions?

Go buy some black SuperSoft Wizards! :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby GorillaTactics » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:08 pm

sleepy wrote:
GorillaTactics wrote:Any other comments/suggestions?

Go buy some black SuperSoft Wizards! :D

sleepy

I've got this slick orange one I'll trade you for yours :lol:

I had to talk myself out of blowing my wad on the MS $5 Wizard deal when I don't even really need any more Wizards.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:10 pm

GorillaTactics wrote:I've got this slick orange one I'll trade you for yours :lol:

LOL, that would be the definition of irony.

GorillaTactics wrote:I had to talk myself out of blowing my wad on the MS $5 Wizard deal when I don't even really need any more Wizards.

Bah...there's no such thing as too many Wizards! :P

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion