DPJ's bag. constructive criticism please!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DPJ's bag. constructive criticism please!

Postby DPJ88 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Hey guys, I've been playing for about 3 years now, throwing in an open baseball field (so 100% flat ground) I max out my D beteen 380-400 depending on the wind. I have struggled with inconsistancy in play, however, I have been successful in turning that around in the past few weeks with practicing in an open field more often. This is the bag I have had the most consistently successful rounds with, and I just got back from a round today, throwing -2 and could have been -4 but had 2 longer putts actually just blow through the chains (crazy unlucky)

but, I would love it if you guys could give me some potential advice on anything you spot, such as a hole in my bag or you think there is a disc better suited. etc.

so here we go:

Drivers:
168 - Champion Orc - Max Distance - flat/hyzer-flip distance
175 - Champion Orc - Max Distance - flat/hyzer distance
167 - Champion Starfire - Max Distance - windier days
168 - Elite-Z Reaper - fairway straight or hyzer - best D in headwind - very predictable in any sort of strong winds
169 - FLX predator - hyzer bombs - big overstable - hyzer spikes
166 - Elite-Z Xpress (beat) - do everything disc. primarily used for anhyzers or long, sweeping hyzer-flips. get out of trouble disc. very versatile.

Midrange and approach:
170 - Elite-Z Wasp - go to midrange, a bit straighter, working on breaking it in, drives
179 - Elite-Z Wasp - heavier/tad more overstable. wind shots
??? - Tourney plastic Comet - anhyzer midrange - flippy - hyzerflips

putting:
170 - FLX Challenger - upshots/long approach/anyapproach
175 - Elite-Z Magnet - putting

Discs in my posession but not in my competition bag:
172 - ESP Force - don't yet have the arm to really throw the potential of this disc.
??? - Opto Vision - very fun to play with, when thrown with about 40° hyzer, will do a massive, sweeping hyzerflip good for about 400 feet. very cool to see fly. havn't been as consistant with the anhyzers as my Xpress.
174 - DX Viking - very versatile driver, champ vikes used to be my go-to distance, but have since replaced them with the more stable, Orcs.
??? - Elite-X Avenger - found, no name, havn't thrown
??? - DX teebird (beat) - found, no name, havn't thrown
??? - DX Dragon (absolutely destroyed) - worthless
169 - Elite-Z Predator - flies more like my reapers and not quite as piggish overstable as the FLX.
Last edited by DPJ88 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby zealot » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:56 pm

all you need is an understable mid it seems
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby the invisible tree » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Looks pretty solid. I'd change your putter, though. If you want the stability of a Z magnet I'd go with a wizard, challenger, or big bead aviar in base plastic. All of those will be roughly the same stability as a Z magnet with much better glide. I'd also carry at least two of whichever putter you pick. Keep a 175g version for drives, headwinds, hyzer putts and other situations where you want max stability. Also try one in the 165-169g range for longer putts and it won't hyzer out as early. You won't have to put as much mustard on a putt to get it to the basket which should lead to extra accuracy.
I'd also recommend trying that beat Teebird. They're great discs. If nothing else it'll be good to work on your form with in a field.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby DPJ88 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm

thanks guys, any understable mids you guy prefer? I hear a lot of good stuff about the comet- a friend of mine has one and doesn't throw it, I could probably get it from him.

and I am pretty content with the Z magnet. I particularly like the fact that it is the same plastic as my drivers and mids- just feels familiar.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 pm

DPJ88 wrote:thanks guys, any understable mids you guy prefer? I hear a lot of good stuff about the comet

Comet
Coyote
Aurora
Element

All 4 of these discs are superb.
Also consider beating in your Z Wasp or a D Wasp or a DX Roc. They will eventually get understable and you will feel comfy with the mold because of the amount of throws it takes to get them understable.
Fair warning- if you try to break in your Z Wasp it will take about a year (if that is the only midrange you throw). I have a Z Wasp that I have thrown for the last 3 years and it is only now starting to break in. I mainly throw my Comets, though.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:55 pm

A thrashed San Marino Roc makes a great understable midrange.

So does a thrashed DX Teebird. It flips soon enough to be useful at medium ranges.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby DPJ88 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:19 pm

lost my pearl pink Z wasp today. I absolutely loved that disc, going to get a new Z wasp tomorrow, but it just wont be the same.

[edit]:

I see discgolf center has pink Z wasps. are these a pearly appearance? I hope so, I am ordering one immidietely to replace my beloved pink Wasp.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:25 am

DPJ88 wrote:I see discgolf center has pink Z wasps. are these a pearly appearance?

They have always been really patient with me when I call and ask all kinds of random questions- including questions if certain discs are clear/opaque/pearly. And its toll free.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby DPJ88 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:43 pm

updated.

hope to phase out the Starfire once I acquire another reaper.

ideally, my next move would be to just solidify the bag by adding a D magnet for longer putts, a new Xpress to complement my beat one, a new reaper to complement my seasoned one, and probably an ESP comet.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Postby SkaBob » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:07 pm

DPJ88 wrote:I see discgolf center has pink Z wasps. are these a pearly appearance? I hope so, I am ordering one immidietely to replace my beloved pink Wasp.

Jut ordered one from them. Nice and pearly. Enjoy 8)
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby DPJ88 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 pm

it's fairly gummy too, compared to my last pink one and my heavier orange.

pretty flexy flight-plate.

I also ordered myself another Orc, and that is very tacky and flexy for champion plastic. very pleased. now to order me my new Xpress to replace the one I ranted about :cry:
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion