GD's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

GD's bag

Postby gratefuldisc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:10 pm

It's been a while since I posted my bag. I've tried out some new discs and now I have a few overlaps in the bag that I need to decide between. Advice needed.

1. Stable Control Drivers

Champ leopard
Champ teebird

I think I'm going to drop the teebird. I never throw it and really like the leopard. I may pick up a new star leopard for a little more stability

2. Distance Drivers

Champ Orc
Star Wraith

I love my orc. I bought a wraith to try out, lost the orc, started using the wraith to replace it. I really started to like the wraith, then my orc came back to me. Now I don't know what to do. :roll:

3. Understable Driver

New star Roadrunner
Beat star Roadrunner
BEAT champ valk

Loving the RRs. think I'm gonna drop the valk

4. Moderately Overstable Driver

champ teebird?

I may replace this with a new star leopard. I know its not really overstable but...

5. Very Overstable Driver

Champ Banshee

I like the banshee

Mids:

New Dx Roc
Not so new DX roc
Beat KC roc
slightly beat super roc.

I can't figure out where the super roc fits in. I may leave it in my trunk as a backup

Putters:

New JK aviar
Beat JK aviar

Happy with putters
Last edited by gratefuldisc on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: JLS

Postby dgdave » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:28 pm

I'd go

Stable- Leo

Mod OS- Teebizzle

US- I like the RR or beat in a Leo if you're in to the whole brevity thing. I was never really into the valks except 4th run CE for rolling.

OS-Banshee

Distance- Orc or Valk, but see my opinion in the US catagory

Mids- the rocs you have listed, and yes, toss the Super Roc in the trunk or the lake

Putters- AviarX

Now youve got yourself a mighty fine bag :D
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby zealot » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:45 pm

dammit dave.

8)

beat me to it
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby gratefuldisc » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 am

I played in my firsttourney yesterday and I think I have made some decisions.

Two rounds and I didn't throw the valk once, so I'm taking it out. Any shot I would have used it for, my beat roadrunner did the job.

I used the wraith for distance exclusively and only took out the orc for one thumber. I was clearing OB with ease that I struggled with my orc. Maybe the disc, maybe improved form. but I like how the wraith feels in hand. I think I'm going to drop the orc altogether and use the banshee for overhand.

I found a couple new uses for the teebird. Not really a go-to disc for me, but I threw a nice get-out-of-trouble flick from 300 feet out that got me close enough to putt.

Making my bag:

Stable control driver: champ leopard

Mod overstable driver: champ tee-bird

Very overstable driver: champ banshee

Understable driver: new star roadrunner/ beat star roadrunner

Distance driver: star wraith

Mids: rocs

Putters: jk aviar-x's

what do ya think?
gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Van » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Wow - nice and simple with just enough differences to learn them all and make them work for most, if not all the shots you'll need. I like it!
Wizards, Rocs, TLs, XSs, SOLFs.
PDGA # 15783
Van
Noob

Postby garublador » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:36 am

If you have the arm for the Wraith, I think you'll benefit from something faster for your moderately overstable driver. Keep the Teebird if you're using a Leopard for your control driver, though. You'll want at least one disc that has a good, predictable fade in that slot.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby gratefuldisc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:07 pm

garublador wrote:I think you'll benefit from something faster for your moderately overstable driver.

Any suggestions? I tried a champ starfire and didn't really like it. Maybe Star Teerex?
gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:53 pm

gratefuldisc wrote:
garublador wrote:I think you'll benefit from something faster for your moderately overstable driver.

Any suggestions? I tried a champ starfire and didn't really like it. Maybe Star Teerex?

I'd throw what you have and see if you have any holes. Don't forget, you can increase stability by going up in weight as well. This will work for some shots - i.e. you can have 2-3 wraiths that will handle various speed throws and wind.

I'm not sure how far you're throwing, but for me, I have just a newer disc of my distance driver for my moderately overstable driver (for me a crush). When it's too beat, I'll buy another.

What I'm finding is that I throw better with discs that I enjoy throwing and get good results from fairly consistently. I can throw a wraith, surge, destroyer, crush, etc. and not suffer terribly from throw to throw, but I like the wraiths and there really isn't a need to have them all, so I just have different weights and stages of wear in a few wraiths. Works well. I know this is a recommended strategy, but the point is that I *like* throwing the wraith (for whatever reason) I get no thrill with the surge at this time, so I just leave it at home. find a disc that just "does it" for you right now and play with them.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby garublador » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 am

gratefuldisc wrote:

What didn't you like about the Starfire?

I honestly haven't tried many of the really fast discs. The Starfire-X, Z Avenger and SOLF are the only ones I've tried that fit in this category and have liked them all. However, I'd assume that if you like the Wraith then the Teerex might be a good choice but that's just speculation.

Teebirds are fine for stability in the wind but they don't penetrate as well as faster discs. Sometimes you really want that extra penetration without haivng to throw something really overstable. Basically you're looking for max distance in a moderate headwind. Discs that do that also work well for longer hyzers, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:54 am

Making my bag:

This is a good bag. IS the banshee a meat hook for you? I prefer the pro wraith to the star (better glide) If it was my bag I would use star wratih and a worn in pro wraith for the distance spot, but then again I don't like wraiths
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby schla104 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:22 pm

gratefuldisc wrote:
Making my bag:

what do ya think?

I would actually drop the Leopard, pick up a DX Teebird, and beat it in. Leopards always seem appealing at first, until you start to really break them in and they just get too squirrely for me.
~Pred~Wraith~SOLF~XL~Roc~Warlock~Wizard
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Leopard is a good disc. You just have to throw it smooth. I think it compliments the teebird nicely. It will get flippy on you after a while, but makes a great 50% power disc or big hyzer flip disc.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Furthur wrote:Leopard is a good disc. You just have to throw it smooth. I think it compliments the teebird nicely. It will get flippy on you after a while, but makes a great 50% power disc or big hyzer flip disc.

Totally agree here and I don't understand why the Leo is always regarded negatively. I understand that it may not be the best disc to learn with because it goes so straight and one should be aiming to the right(RHBH) and letting the disc work back to the basket. But... I know that and sometimes I need to throw 300' lower than my roc will allow and straight, enter the Leo. I love throwing hyzer flips, throwing at 60%, and Leo's.

I just got some of the old Proline candy Leo's in a deal on here and they are super nasty.

I'm actually thinking I'm going to make my control driver/workhorse driver Leopards and Eagle-x's.
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby marmoset » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:43 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:sometimes I need to throw 300' lower than my roc

Wow!!! How high are you throwing your Rocs?!?!?

Sorry.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby gratefuldisc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:22 pm

black udder wrote:Don't forget, you can increase stability by going up in weight as well. This will work for some shots - i.e. you can have 2-3 wraiths that will handle various speed throws and wind.

I'm not sure how far you're throwing, but for me, I have just a newer disc of my distance driver for my moderately overstable driver (for me a crush). When it's too beat, I'll buy another.

My wraith is a new star 169. All my dirvers are right around 170, thats what I'm comfortable with.

I have been flipping it up from a slight hyzer with good results. I find myself looking forward to a little headwind, making it easier to flip up, and put on a little more hyzer, and definatly getting more distance. I think this will make the wraith even better for me as it wears for no wind/ tailwind distance, and I guess a newer maybe a little heavier wraith may fill that wind slot.

I can consistently put it out around 350 if I get the nose down. and can get in the 375-400 range with the right headwind and a perfect throw.

grabulador wrote:What didn't you like about the Starfire?

Maybe I got a bad one but, it was very similar to my orc but less predictable. put anhyzer on it and it was gone and not coming back. I tried to tune it more stable but still don't like it. I don't have a lot of experience tuning, but now that I did, I don't really have a good idea as to what a starfire IS exactly, besides what I had before.

mullen wrote: IS the banshee a meat hook for you?

Yeah, pretty much. I use it for spike hyzers and if I want to throw a flex shot into the wind and know it will come back.

P.S. Congrats on the win!
gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion