Newbi Bag help

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Newbi Bag help

Postby Fr0sty711 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:20 pm

I have been playing disc golf for about 3 months now and some people advised me to get some disc that were good for starters. So i just want to no exactly what the best use for these disc are. Like if this disc is better into the wind than another or at what distances to use this disc. and i don't no if i have any overstable or understanble discs and i am not sure exactly the purpose of either one is. i don't no if i have explained my self well but any help on my bag will be of help. My average score is +3 to +8.

-My main driver is a Star TL Teebird fairway driver 175
-my 2nd driver is a Star Eagle fairway driver 172
-I have a DX Eagle fairway driver 171 that i use sometimes
-DX Sidewinder 175 that i use like once
-Champion Beast Distance Driver 162 I used to love this driver till i got my teebird
DX Shark midrange 176 which i just picked up and i like it alot
-Elite Z Buzzz Midrange 176 i was really excited about this disc but it hasn't done as well as i thought
-Elite Z Wasp 177 not as happy with this one as i thought either

So if u think i should get rid of any of these or pick up any new ones let me no too. i hope someone can tell me the best use for these discs.
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby Eric O » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:22 am

If you are just getting started, I suggest you simplify. How far are you throwing your drives?

You should probably go out with the DX Eagle, the Shark, and you really need to get a putter. I suggest the DX Aviar P&A (putt & approach) at about 170g.

Once you start throwing the Shark relatively straight and level, start throwing that DX Eagle. Once you start throwing that relatively straight and level, start throwing the TL.

The most important thing to do is to find someone better than you to play with so that you can learn from them.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Fr0sty711 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:26 pm

I drive like 300 or so and i have a putter i just didn't put it on there b/c i no i like it and i no what it does. I would like some more help on what my discs i have are ment to be used for. thanks for the help soo far
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Re: Newbi Bag help

Postby cmlasley » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:04 pm

-Star TL 175 - This is meant to be a really straight disc with very little fade. For you, it will probably be good for straight to mild hyzer shots.

-Star Eagle 172 - This is similar to the TL in range and use. In star, the Eagle is considerably more overstable, and until the flashing wears down is a really good headwind disc. For you it will probably be good for hyzers - left turning shots. For someone with more arm, it has a touch of high-speed turn and a decent amount of fade.

-DX Eagle 171 - Like the Star Eagle, but with more pronounced turn and less pronounced fade. You probably have an Eagle-L, while the Star is the more overstable X mold. This is not too good in a headwind.

-DX Sidewinder 175 - I've not thrown the Sidewinder in DX, but it is pretty flippy in Champ, so I would suppose this would be a good distance disc and a good right-turning disc for you.

-Champion Beast 162 - the Beast is a finicky disc. Like the Eagle, it comes in two flavors (X or old mold and L or new mold). You likely have the new mold, which most people who throw Beasts do not prefer. It is still a decent mold, but there are better ones out there. It is good for max distance and right turning shots, but it is really nose angle sensitive, and for someone with your power, will be pretty inconsistent.

-DX Shark 176 - this is a really solid mid-range that will serve you for a long time. Use this for straight shots where you are too far away to throw your putter.

-Elite Z Buzzz 176 - pretty much the same as the Shark as far as its uses. The Buzzz is a bit more high-speed stable, so it will have less turn than the Shark, and it is also quite a bit faster, so it has more distance potential in the right hands.

-Elite Z Wasp 177 - overstable midrange. Use it the same as the above or for headwind mid shots or shots where you need more lateral fade than you can get with the putter.

I hope you don't take offense to me referring to "your arm" or "your power level." It is just simply that many of these discs perform differently for other people who have more power than you or me. My advice about carrying the simple bag I outlined above is to help you to develop good form and to learn to shape lines with the discs you already have.

If you were just starting and did not yet have any discs, I would still suggest the Shark and Aviar, and would suggest a mid-160s DX Gazelle or D Cyclone for your main driver, but the Eagle will be fine.

What are you putting with, anyway? It really does make a difference. Some putters really suck and others teach you habits that are not conducive to consistency.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fr0sty711 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 pm

I use two wizards to putt with a supersoft and a medium. i like them ok but really think i would like to try a new putter any suggestions. I don't take offense at all. i thank you for helpiing me out and explaining my discs. I am still open for any help any one else has.
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby cmlasley » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Fr0sty711 wrote:I use two wizards to putt with a supersoft and a medium. i like them ok but really think i would like to try a new putter any suggestions.

I use Wizards and love them. Other good ones are: Warlocks, Aviars of all types, Challengers, Magnets.
Morgan Lasley
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion