my bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

my bag

Postby pg043 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:16 pm

i've been thinking about how i could simplify my bag for the last couple months, reading the minimalist post on here solidified the importance for me. so here we go.

stable control drivers:

175 Star Teebird
175 Star TL (for tunnel shots & gentle turnovers)

distance driver:

175 Pro Wraith (newish)
168 Star Wraith - i normally throw all max weight discs, bought this one day when my local shop was out of almost all wraiths and i felt like i really needed one. i'm pretty happy with how far i can huck this thing though. consistently outdrives my destroyers by 20 feet in the practice field.

moderatlely overstable drivers:

175 Star Destroyer - i bought into the hype and got a few of these when they came out. it is incredibly fast, but i live at 5000 ft, so this thing is pretty hard to reliably hyzer flip. great for long range flat/hyzer shots, but the wraith gives me better D in an open field. i also use this for longer sidearms that flex a little bit.

very overstable drivers:

175 Star Max (spike hyzers, hyzer forehand shots, thumbers)
174 ESP Predator - just bought the predator to see how it compares to the max, i will eventually settle on one or the other

understable driver:

173 FLX Avenger SS ($$$)
175 Star RoadRunner (rollers only)

midranges

176 FLX Buzzz (dead straight and turnovers)
174 ESP Buzzz (go-to approach disc)
178 Z Buzzz (hyzer shots)

I used to carry a Coyote for BIG sweeping anhyzer shots and a Cro for hyzer shots, but I decided that for any hole that I'd use the Coyote on, I would rather just throw a hyzer sidearm, and I can do anything with the Z buzzz that I used to do with the Cro

putters:
174 Soft Wizard (putter drives}
174 SuperSoft Wizard (inside 40)
174 Soft Magic - just picked this thing up, i'm thinking it will be better for long jump putts than the wizard. time will tell if it stays in the bag.

So that's where I'm at. 7 driver molds if you count TL and Teebird as the same (which I do). It will be 6 molds when i choose between the Max and the Predator. 1 Midrange mold and 2 putter molds. Tell me what you think.
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby mark12b » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 pm

looks sweet and simple, all the shots are covered. the tb and tl count as separate molds though. :D
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Re: my bag

Postby garublador » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 am

pg043 wrote:So that's where I'm at. 7 driver molds if you count TL and Teebird as the same (which I do). It will be 6 molds when i choose between the Max and the Predator. 1 Midrange mold and 2 putter molds. Tell me what you think.
I think that the Teebird and TL count as two molds. The only reason people count them as one is because of the name. If they were given unique names no one would consider them to be the same mold. I also think that doesn't really matter. I think that having both a Teebird and a more workable driver in the stable control driver spot is a good idea as long as you can control the Teebird.

Don't be afraid to add a Wasp if you want a mid with more fade. That may not be an issue at altutide, though.

I'd recommend the Pred for the very overstable slot. If you ever play at lower altitudes there will probably be a bigger difference between the two for you.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:19 am

Teebird and TL are completely different molds.

Drop the Max for the Predator.

Have you tried throwing the RR as a shot you would with the Avenger?

Where you live that your Alt. is 5k?

Only thing I would recommend is adding an overstable mid and you'd be set.

Wasp, or Q-Sent or Roc

Good looking bag, definitely for altitude play.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby pg043 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 am

I used to throw the RR for all my BIG turnover shots and a Valkyrie for less extreme anhyzers, but it's just way too beat up now, and I find I can control the SS better for all turnover situations. It's just so versatile. It's my money disc for mountain golf--goes straight, holds a hyzer, anhyzer, whatever. I almost never throw rollers, I've just recently started incorporating them into my game, but I have no problem carrying a seperate roller disc. I don't need to be that minimalist.

I looked at Wasps and Drones for an overstable mid but I didn't really like the rims on either of them. I used to throw a Cro as an overstable mid, but I felt there was too much overlap with my Z buzzz. I feel like I'm ok without one for now, but I'll definitely keep looking.

What are the advantages of the Pred vs the Max? I tried them side by side for a few min the other day for spiker hyzers and sidearms. Maybe they're both just super overstable because I'm at altitude, but I didn't notice any significant differences. I am actually going down to sea level for a while pretty soon, so hopefully that will give me a better idea of which I want to keep.

I'm in Fort Collins brtw.

thanks for all the comments
pg043
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:41 pm

pg043 wrote:What are the advantages of the Pred vs the Max?
It's probably only stuff you'll see in high wind situations. The Pred will handle them better than the Max from what I understand. I don't have the arm or the environment to test that out myself, it's just me repeating what I've heard Blake say.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby pg043 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:00 am

one thing i've noticed is that i can thumb the pred much farther than the max...which is pretty useful since my thumber is weak ;o
pg043
Tree Magnet

Re: my bag

Postby pg043 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 pm

New season! New bag!

I'm doing a bunch of trading and trying to get my back all set up for tournament season. Basically just making sure I have at least 2 of everything in case I lose anything in a round. My new revo dual pack can hold the extras :D

Bag

Revolution Dual Pack

Putters

175 M Wizard (2)
175 SS Wizard (1)

Midranges

175 ESP Comet (2)
174 FLX Buzzz (1) - need more! PM me for trades!
178 FLX Drone (2)

Fairway Drivers
175 Star Leopard (1)
175 Star Teebird (3)

Distance Drivers

175 Star Roadrunner (rollers)
174 FLX Avenger SS (long turnovers)
165 Star Wraith (max D)
171 Star Destroyer (max D on low shots)
175 Star Destroyer
175 Star Xcaliber (2) (headwind driver, forehands)
175 Star Max (2) (spike hyzers, forehands)
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion