suggestions for my bag?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

suggestions for my bag?

Postby Ode » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:41 pm

heres what i carry daily, im open to any criticism.

1. Stable Control Drivers
174 DX Teebird
164 dx teebird

2. Distance Drivers
175 pro destroyer (beat)
175 star wraith (beat)
165 pro destroyer (fresh)
164 dx wraith (fresh)
150 dx destroyer (for fun)
168 & 150 dx teerex (not sure if im gonna keep these depending on the xcal)

3. Understable Driver
175 champ sidewinder

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
172 star xcal (new, dont know if i like it yet)
167 star FL (beat)

5. Very Overstable Driver
175 star whippet (probably my favorite disc)

Mids:
2x 180 KC Pro Roc
180 DX san marino Roc
180 star ontario roc
178 x wasp
178 z buzzz
175 champ panther

Putters:
175 star aviar PnA
175 star aviar driver BB

as far as what i think, i feel like i have too many molds but im really not sure what i would drop. i used to carry more but slowly lost ones i dont throw often and never replaced them. i initally liked wraiths for my distance shots, but now that my pro d is beat in, i throw that almost exclusively on anything too long for my FL. i really like my teebirds, but i havent been throwing them long so they still kind of dont have a specific spot in my bag for me. at my home course there are quite a few short holes mixed in on a few of the layouts so i end up throwing rocs off the pads 70% of the time and i really feel that is the strongest aspect of my game becuase of this. i can lazer a roc 300 so they hold a significant spot in my bag. im going to remove my ontario roc and my buzz i think, but the rest i dont think i could take out.

will my xcal replace my teerexs and my FL? my whippet actually sees alot of action, i had a nicely beat in kcpro wippet but it got eaten by some scotchbroom so i usually throw the fl where i used to throw the beat whippet, and the xcal seems like too much disc to fill the same shot, but i think if i like the xcal it very well may dissplace my teerexs pending any suggestions from others.

thanks for the critic
Ode
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:06 pm

My first time posting recs on bag content so here goes:

Your Teebirds should be able to do double duty in your 1 and 4 slots.

2. drop the destroyers and keep with the wraiths. If you're using a light teerex then a 175 wraith should do just about the same thing for you. Stick with the wraiths.

3. as your dx teebirds beat in they could also cover this spot as you get newer teebirds to replace them.

5. Good

Mids: Rocs are the same mold as wasps. I'd say pick either the rocs or the wasp/buzzz combo. You'll find you get more consistency by not switching between them.

Putter. Good.

Depending on how far you're throwing the wraiths might bee too much. If you're not hitting 350' or more with them I would suggest taking them out and going with something like an Orc instead. You'll improve your distance faster by throwing slower discs that force you to make good clean throws. The speed 11 and 12 discs mask alot of throwing errors due to their speed and stability. Good luck.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:36 pm

Apparently geoloseth and I don't see eye to eye on Teebirds. As an alternate viewpoint, I din't see Teebirds as very good moderately overstable or understable drivers. I don't think they penetrate well enough to be a good moderately overstable driver (you want max distance in a moderate headwind from this disc) and I don't think they hold a nice enough turn to be a good understable driver.

I think the Teebird is great for a stable control driver but probably needs something to complement it for turnovers and 'S' shots. The Eagle-X, Gazelle and Cyclone are my favorites.

I agree with his points 2, 5, what he said about mids and what he said about putters except I don't believe Rocs and Wasps are the same mold. They are very similar, though and that really doesn't have anything to do with the advice. I just don't want to be quoted as saying that.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby geoloseth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Garu - you could be right. I haven't played any windy days yet with my Teebirds, but the star that I have does hold a hyzer very well. If I put just enough hyzer angle on it to keep it from flipping flat it will just hold that long turn the hole time.

Eagles and Gazelles would be optimal for a slower disc that would beat very well into an understable disc.

From what the local disc guru told me, the day the patent ran out on the rocs discraft made the Wasp. I can't remember what mold he said they were from or if it's just a slight variation in one of the molds. I was picking up discs that Brad kept leaving on the course and the Roc does feel almost exactly like a Wasp.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Ode » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:14 pm

from what i see the wasp has a slightly more blunt nose on it and to me seems to be slighly more stable. slightly more low speed stable than my newer kc pro roc so i use it when i want a harder fade. however it is extremely similar to my other rocs, so it would be a good move to remove it in favor of consistency.

thanks
Ode
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:16 pm

garublador wrote:I don't believe Rocs and Wasps are the same mold.

Ode wrote:from what i see the wasp has a slightly more blunt nose on it and to me seems to be slighly more stable. slightly more low speed stable than my newer kc pro roc so i use it when i want a harder fade. however it is extremely similar to my other rocs, so it would be a good move to remove it in favor of consistency.

thanks

Agreed. But they are just about as close as they can be without being the same. They are different diameters- the Wasp is .1cm smaller. I personally find the Roc to be a touch more HSS as well as a touch less LSS.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby cmlasley » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Garublador wrote:Apparently geoloseth and I don't see eye to eye on Teebirds.

geoloseth wrote: I haven't played any windy days yet with my Teebirds, but the star that I have does hold a hyzer very well. If I put just enough hyzer angle on it to keep it from flipping flat it will just hold that long turn the hole time.

There is a huge difference between the Teebirds in different plastics that may explain the inconsistent views. In DX, the Teebird is not very overstable after just a little bit of work, and is not at all resistant to OAT. In Champ, it is quite overstable and resistant to OAT (depending on run). Star seems in between the two in most respects. DX Teebirds are really long compared to the other plastics, in my experience.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby garublador » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:28 am

geoloseth wrote:If I put just enough hyzer angle on it to keep it from flipping flat it will just hold that long turn the hole time.
I find that's the type of hyzers they're best at. I've been finding that they do three flightpaths in the high speed portion of their flight really well. Either they hold the same hyzer the whole time, flip to flat and lock in or flip over without fighting back. More workable drivers seem to have a continuous range of flight paths in the high speed portion of their flight rather than discrete ones like the Teebird. Granted, with enough skill you can get Teebirds to do all of those flights, but I don't see a reason to make things harder than they need to be.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Ode » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:39 am

fortunately, this weekend i camped up at crystal mountain in washington and played 3 rounds of the most beautiful and challenging discgolf of my short career. this quickly led to me loosing my wasp on 18, a hole with my guess 500 feet of elevation drop with an amazing view of the surrounding mountiains as well as the bright yellow DCP basket on top of the 30 foot tall mound, making the hole that much nastier.

i also martyred one of my dx teebirds and a snorting elk lodge stamp green pro destroyer that i bought the day before for a little too much turn with a hundred feet of elevation drop to let it slide right. overall completely worth the trip and the plastic to play the amazing course.

the teebird is probably being replaced with two more dx teebirds in a lighter color than blue so i dont have to stress as much everytime i throw it on a hole with long grass. im not buying more destroyers but may bring back one i retired and i did pick up a white star excaliber with the snorting elk lodge stamp and used that on a few holes. i somewhat liked it for strong spike fade on huge hyzers for long upshots. i only threw it off the tee on a few times and it performed generally like i thought it would but not sure if i will let it become a major driver of choice.
Ode
Tree Magnet

Re: suggestions for my bag?

Postby adidadg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 am

Ode wrote:heres what i carry daily, im open to any criticism.

174 DX Teebird
164 dx teebird

2. Distance Drivers
175 pro destroyer (beat)
175 star wraith (beat)
165 pro destroyer (fresh)
164 dx wraith (fresh)
150 dx destroyer (for fun)
168 & 150 dx teerex (not sure if im gonna keep these depending on the xcal)

3. Understable Driver
175 champ sidewinder

167 star FL (beat)

175 star whippet (probably my favorite disc)

Mids:
2x 180 KC Pro Roc
180 DX san marino Roc
180 star ontario roc
178 x wasp
178 z buzzz
175 champ panther

Putters:
175 star aviar PnA
175 star aviar driver BB

Without reading too much into this thread here's my take for each category. In short you have your bases covered but it could be slimmed down:

1. looks good

2. Good, but if you want to slim it down, Pick just one of these molds (teerex/destroyer/wraith) and carry 2 or 3 of them max.

3. Fine if it works for you, although IMO there are better choices

4. keep the XCaliber. The beat FL MIGHT overlap with a newer Teebird, so you could probably drop it.

5. looks good.

Mids: could be slimmed down, pick 1 or 2 molds max. For example carry multiple rocs, or a wasp/buzzz combo. Whatever you prefer, but a max of 4 midrange discs should be plenty.

putters: Looks good.
adidadg

Postby Blink » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:21 pm

All I have to say is I don't like the DX Teerex, squirrelly disc if I ever threw one.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Re: suggestions for my bag?

Postby Ode » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:55 pm

well ive switch alot of things up, so lemme know how its looking now:

169 dx teebird (beat)
169 dx teebird (slightly beat)
169 dx teebird (newish)
171 pro leopard (longer roc for lower power but further distance shots)

2. Distance Drivers
175 champ boss (xout warped flight plate, already semi flippy)
172 champ boss

3. Understable Driver
175 champ sidewinder

175 champ firebird (thumber disc)
2x 175 star whippet (probably my favorite disc)

Mids:
2x 180 KC Pro Roc (1 beat, 1 newish)
1x 180 inncolor dx flat top roc (more beat)
175 champ panther

Putters:
175 star aviar PnA (semi beat)
2x 175 star aviar driver BB (one beat but not flippy and one new)
175 omega super soft

ive got a star rancho roc im probably gonna add to the bag once i feel my flat top is beat enough to retire til summer comes back. i have a couple more champ bosses to play with, i love this disc already and has taken all my destroyers and wraiths out of my bag. im not sure if i like the soft putter and i may take it out of the bag and put my pro pig back in, i really like the pig for short spike hyzers. my whippets do the same really, just can be too long for certain shots.

ive been working on sidearm off the tee alot and using backhand for distance drives. I really dont throw the panther much at all anymore and was considering replacing the sidewinder with a monarch, but the sidewinder is starting to bet beat in and fly nicely so i didnt think it would be worth it to pick up a monarch.
Ode
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion