Let Me Hear It

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Let Me Hear It

Postby x-out » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:51 pm

i'm curious as to what everyone thinks of my bag. i know it doesn't flow like a proper DGR bag, but it is what it is. i'm open to comments and criticism, but i doubt i'll be making any changes any time soon.

1. Stable Control Drivers
175 Star Destroyer

2. Distance Drivers
175 Star Destroyer
175 Champ Destroyer

3. Understable Driver
175 Champ Roadrunner
175 Champ Monarch
169 Star Destroyer

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
175 Champ Destroyer
170 Star Excalibur
175 Star Excalibur
175 Banshee

5. Very Overstable Driver
N/A

Mids:
175 Star Cro
174 DX Rancho Roc

Putters:
175 SS Warlock
175 SS Warlock
175 DX Classic Aviar
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:03 pm

destroyer is not a control driver
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby x-out » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:destroyer is not a control driver

i guess it depends on the definition of a control dirver
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby soxfan1982 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:17 pm

excalibur should be your very overstable driver and from what i hear the monarch is just suppose to be a faster road runner. i used to throw the roadrunner then my arm outgrew it and switched to the sidewinder for my understable. i have thrown a monarch and the one i threw was light so it reminded me of a slightly beaten runner brand new. so you should only need one of those two discs
soxfan1982
Noob

Postby cmlasley » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:45 pm

x-out wrote:i guess it depends on the definition of a control dirver

Now, don't start that again.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby x-out » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 pm

soxfan1982 wrote:excalibur should be your very overstable driver and from what i hear the monarch is just suppose to be a faster road runner. i used to throw the roadrunner then my arm outgrew it and switched to the sidewinder for my understable. i have thrown a monarch and the one i threw was light so it reminded me of a slightly beaten runner brand new. so you should only need one of those two discs

the Xcal isn't the perfect very overstable driver. if i had to pick a perfect very overstable, it would be a firebird or a predator.

the monarch isn't like a roadrunner 4 me. my RR is only used as a quick get down roller or trouble shots where i can't put any power on the disc, but need to cover some distance. the monarch is a more stable roller. its actually become my go to roller coupled with my destroyers. with the monarch i'm able to control the angle of the roller much better than my RR or the valk it took the place of.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby nickster9224 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:10 pm

I smell HEAVY amounts of OAT.
nickster9224
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:11 pm

cmlasley wrote:
x-out wrote:i guess it depends on the definition of a control dirver

Now, don't start that again.

i didn't mean to stir the pot.

if people want to judge a control disc by the diameter of its rim that's great. for me its a case of what i'm capable of doing with the disc that defines its role.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:15 pm

nickster9224 wrote:I smell HEAVY amounts of OAT.

i haven't had a problem with OAT for quite sometime.

i'm not sure what is leading you to believe that i might have an OAT problem. destroyers are a touchy mold and if you have OAT your turning and burning. if you are referring to the Xcals, they really aren't the best into the wind with a good amount of power.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby GorillaTactics » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Yeah, kind of funny how people can make a diagnosis without ever having seen you play. While I don't find Destroyers to be super consistent, if they work for you then who cares? throw what you like.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Roy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:30 pm

GorillaTactics wrote:Yeah, kind of funny how people can make a diagnosis without ever having seen you play. While I don't find Destroyers to be super consistent, if they work for you then who cares? throw what you like.

maybe they are going on the knowledge that nobody they have ever seen play or anyone they have read about (until now), would consider a max weight destroyer a control driver...
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby GorillaTactics » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Fair enough, but accusing somebody of having major OAT issues just because they have a bunch of destroyers in their bag is kind of retarded, I think. I don't disagree that I wouldn't exactly call the destroyer a control driver either...but dude also said he's not planning on changing up his bag, so different strokes for different folks, I guess.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby x-out » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Roy wrote:maybe they are going on the knowledge that nobody they have ever seen play or anyone they have read about (until now), would consider a max weight destroyer a control driver...

would a teebird be classified as a control driver? i had it in the bag 4 quite sometime and 4 me personally, the teebird doesn't do anything magical. teebirds fly similarly to a destroyer in flight and distance, but they just never fit in my hand correctly. this poor fit lead to less accuracy and found its way to the used bin.

i will gladly hear out everyones thoughts on what is wrong with my bag, and what i should have in it. i knew my bag would cause me to catch flak and i was prepared 4 it. guess i should have ended my 1st post with "flame suit on" :lol:

if there's something i haven't tried that someone suggests i'll gladly give it a go. i'm just a little pessimistic since i've yet to encounter a shot that my bag/game can't handle.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:51 am

The only slot I see mising is a slower (slower like your Banshee) control driver like a Teebird, Eagle, Cyclone, Gazelle, etc. I know you said you didn't like how Teebirds fit but I think you might benefit from having something slower to choose from.
Depending on your power and form I suppose you could fill this slot with some of your other discs.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby cmlasley » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:47 am

x-out wrote:teebirds fly similarly to a destroyer in flight and distance,

This is a "tell" to me and may explain why some of us think your choices in discs are dubious. I'm not a big arm, but these fly significantly differently for me. I've never heard anyone compare these two discs in flight and distance. The Destroyer is too much disc for me - I can actually throw a DX Teebird further on golf lines, but if throwing purely distance lines, I get more distance with the Destroyer and a very different flight out of these two. Maybe someone else with a bigger arm than I have can chime in and set me straight if I'm wrong - maybe to someone with more power these are similar. From my experience with the *D, though, I would imagine the T has more high speed stability.

I don't care what you throw, but I think everyone can benefit from some slower more controllable discs (especially some that won't skip as much as a Destroyer, XCal, or even Banshee). BTW, if the Teebird doesn't fit your hand, neither should the Banshee - they're a tenth of a cm different in width.

I've played with some good players, but never seen anyone with a bag like yours. They all seem to have some slow plastic in there.

When you step up to a hole, how do you decide which discs to throw? What makes a hole a Destroyer hole or a Roc hole? What do you throw into a 25 mph headwind? Why do I keep asking all these questions? :D
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion