Eric's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Eric's bag

Postby Eric O » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:52 pm

key:
1. Stable Control Drivers
2. Distance Drivers
3. Understable Driver
4. Moderately Overstable Driver
5. Very Overstable Driver

( updated 9/7/08 )

Star Eagle 172g beat (1) and (3) main driver, good for everything
Star Eagle 171g newish, tuned overstable (1) and (4) flex shots, hyzers, mild headwinds
Star TL 175g newish, somewhere between (1) and (3) straighter path than an Eagle
Star Valkyrie 171g newish (2) max D
DX Valkyrie 170g beat (3) rolling
Z Predator 171g beat (5)

Mids (Rancho Rocs):
Star Roc 180g slightly worn
DX Roc 180g new
DX Roc 180g worn
DX Roc 174g almost beat to perfection

Putters:
S Wizard Medium 175g driving and upshots
S Wizard Soft 170g putting and approaches that can't roll

I keep backups of most of my discs to rotate when they get too beat up or lost. I rotate the putters often since I like them relatively newish. The weights listed above are what's currently in the bag, and fairly accurately represent the weight range of discs you would find in my bag at any given time.

The TL is still a relatively new edition. I find it useful for a different shaped flight that an Eagle won't naturally perform. The changes in direction seem to be softer and more gradual with the TLs. I'm not exactly sure where it fits alongside the Eagles when it comes to disc overlap principles, but the two molds seem to complement each other up to this point.
Last edited by Eric O on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Triplebogey » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Meh!!! these are all "tried and true" discs!!! You bag, while effective is cliche and behind the fashion curve.

May I suggest:
Pig
Monarch
Xcalibur
Force
Spectra
Torq
Kite
and the Innova/Discraft/Gateway D.O.T (Disc OF Tommorow) (little NASCAR refrence there)

Get with the times dude!!!
:wink: :lol: :twisted:
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby Eric O » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm

Triplebogey wrote:Meh!!! these are all "tried and true" discs!!! You bag, while effective is cliche and behind the fashion curve.
Actually I think it's more like a well made suit. Conservative, won't make any waves in a crowd, but never out of style. And those who know class will recognize it when they see it. ;)

:mrgreen:
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SiDeArM jUnKiE » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:58 pm

If your just starting out with forehand that Star Eagle will be fine to learn with. When your ready you can step up to something more stable like a Firebird.
The glare from my head will blind you
SiDeArM jUnKiE
Tree Magnet

Postby corey115 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Triplebogey wrote:Meh!!! these are all "tried and true" discs!!! You bag, while effective is cliche and behind the fashion curve.

May I suggest:
Pig
Monarch
Xcalibur
Force
Spectra
Torq
Kite
and the Innova/Discraft/Gateway D.O.T (Disc OF Tommorow) (little NASCAR refrence there)

Get with the times dude!!!
:wink: :lol: :twisted:

i agree, i think you should also fill your bag with only fast overstable drivers :lol:
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby curt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Would think that would make me stop and wonder about your bag is if the tl is really understable enough to use in the understable slot. (epecially since you're throwing eagles for hyzer)
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Aaron_D » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:20 pm

if you throw comfortably over 375 then I would recommend dropping the eagles. If not then Id say you could drop the orions.

I see it this way: if you are throwing 375+ then you have 0-200 covered with your rocs and wizards, 200-300 covered with your rocs and TL's, 300-375 covered with your TL's and Orions.

If you are throwing closer to 330 then you have 0-200 covered with your rocs and mids, 200-250 with your rocs, 250-330 with TL's and eagles.

I dont really like throwing orions much less than 330 because slower discs are so much better at that range.

Of course if you are throwing 400-430+ then there is probably room for both.

Now that Ive typed all this I think you might need something in the JLS, leopard range. :shock: 8) :roll: :lol:
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Eric O » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 am

Aaron_D wrote:I see it this way: if you are throwing 375+ then you have 0-200 covered with your rocs and wizards, 200-300 covered with your rocs and TL's, 300-375 covered with your TL's and Orions.

If you are throwing closer to 330 then you have 0-200 covered with your rocs and mids, 200-250 with your rocs, 250-330 with TL's and eagles.
I agree with what you're saying, and I'm definitely closer to 330 than 375. In fact 330 is probably right on the money for a full length golf line. I usually throw Rocs looking for the pin on holes out to 270. Around 230 I start throwing Wizards where applicable. I definitely prefer Eagles when there is no height restriction, but I think I need something to get out there on a fast low line from time to time, hence the OLFs. Would you agree with that?
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:25 pm

if youre throwing 330 and need something for a low line drive you might want to try the orion LS or valkyrie. I think the eagle would still probably work, but hey--actually you might want to try out the eagle L which would keep your molds down.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Eric O » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:38 pm

curt wrote:Would think that would make me stop and wonder about your bag is if the tl is really understable enough to use in the understable slot. (epecially since you're throwing eagles for hyzer)

I've been throwing a brand new Star Eagle for hyzer and some flex shots, and a broken in one for lines that I want to finish straight or hold the turn until late. New ones finish strong left predictably if I release them with hyzer and a little roll under. The broken in Eagle is wearing to the point of being good for the understable driver slot, so the TL is actually looking kind of redundant right now. I'll probably keep the TL around for the moment anyway since it flies some graceful lines.

Aaron_D wrote:if youre throwing 330 and need something for a low line drive you might want to try the orion LS or valkyrie. I think the eagle would still probably work, but hey--actually you might want to try out the eagle L which would keep your molds down.

I will probably dust off my Valks and shoot them out in the field next to the drivers I've been throwing lately and see what I think. If I remember correctly I ended up dropping them last time for something that was better in a headwind.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Updated. Valk was a great suggestion. I decided to go with that for now.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:01 am

Updated. Added a DX Valk to the bag for rolling. I finally put some time into learning to control a distance roller, and I feel like it's given me a more well rounded game.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion