Complete bag overhaul Please comment (Updated 12/30)

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Complete bag overhaul Please comment (Updated 12/30)

Postby RoomTenONine » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:30 pm

Major change to the bag and I'm extremely happy with the results!

I went from this:

Code: Select all

1. Stable Control
      3x 170-72g Teebirds (DX)

2. Distance
     3x 170-72g Valkyries (DX and Champ)

3. Understable
     171g DX Eagle (beat)

4. Mod. Overstable
     175g Sirius Orion LF (1.2) (new)

5. Very Overstable
     174g Elite-Z predator (Fly-Dyed) (new)

6. Mids
     3x 175-80 Rocs (DX, Rancho and Ontario)
     180g DX Wolf (new) Super understable

7. Putters
     174g DX Rhyno – (good wear) overstable
     175g KC Pro 12x Aviar – (new) stable

To This:
1. Stable Control

170g QJLS

2. Distance

168g QOLF (1.1)
174g SOLF (1.2) well seasoned

3. Understable

165g Polaris LS

4. Mod. Overstable

170g QOLF

5. Very Overstable

174g Elite-Z Predator

6. Mids

168g QMS
178g QMS
180g Roc (Rancho)

7. Putters
175g JK Pro Aviar X (cold weather)
175g KC Pro 12x Aviar
Last edited by RoomTenONine on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 16 times in total.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Re: Nathan's bag, please review (1st post)

Postby cmlasley » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:54 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:Hi everyone. First post, long-time lurker.

Welcome. Switch this:

RoomTenONine wrote:171g DX Eagle (worn, phasing out)

With this:

RoomTenONine wrote:171g DX Archangel (slight wear)

I seriously think the Archangel is one of the worst discs ever. It's sweet spot is like 15 seconds before it hits a tree. They are the most inconsistent discs I've ever seen in DX plastic. That beat Eagle can be money for you in the turnover/anny slot.

RoomTenONine wrote:5. Very Overstable
none, looking for recommendations, but I can achieve what I need here with my Viper or even my heavy Roc

Depending on how far you are throwing, might I suggest a DX Banshee, Champ Banshee, Champ Firebird, or Z / ESP Predator? I like the Pred, personally.

The rest of the bag looks pretty good, though it would be nice if you would beat in a Roc to take the place of your Skeeters. I know it's a different sort of disc, but you can cover those shots with Rocs in various stages of wear.

RoomTenONine wrote::wink:

Please don't wink at me. It makes me uncomfortable.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby RoomTenONine » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:43 pm

cmlasley wrote:I seriously think the Archangel is one of the worst discs ever. It's sweet spot is like 15 seconds before it hits a tree. They are the most inconsistent discs I've ever seen in DX plastic. That beat Eagle can be money for you in the turnover/anny slot.

I barely ever use the Arch to be honest. The wear on it is from me hitting trees more often than not when using it. It is inconsistent, but I assumed it was me. In fact I'm more inclined to crush my Wolf to attain the same result, but I don't get the distance on it all the time. I like the idea of moving the Eagle.

Depending on how far you are throwing, might I suggest a DX Banshee, Champ Banshee, Champ Firebird, or Z / ESP Predator? I like the Pred, personally.

I'll look into them. Some friends have Firebirds and Banshees. What about a Starfire for that? Not overstable enough?

The rest of the bag looks pretty good, though it would be nice if you would beat in a Roc to take the place of your Skeeters. I know it's a different sort of disc, but you can cover those shots with Rocs in various stages of wear.

I was totally expecting someone to say that. For now I'm really liking the Skeeter and Roc combo, but I see your point clearly. As my Skeeters wear out and I have some Rocs worn into skeeter condition, I'll probably just refresh with more Rocs.

Please don't wink at me. It makes me uncomfortable.

:roll: Better?

Seriously, thanks for the input.

Any thoughts on the Putters? I've thought about trying a Wizard, but 1) I'm not sure what plastic/softness to get and 2) what I have seems to be working great.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:25 am

RoomTenONine wrote:My thoughts on reducing molds:
Use just Teebirds for control, use heavy/new Rocs for Moderate and Very overstable drives. Drop a putter (probably Classic Aviar). Remove eagle, Gazelle, Viper.
It's not strictly minimalist, but I like the idea of having both a Teebird and Gazelle/Eagle-X/Cyclone for the stable control driver spot. The latter (Eagle or Gazelle in your case) wears into an excellent understable driver and they work way better for shaping lines than a Teebird. Teebirds are just too good at flying straight and far to ignore, IMO.

The general consensus is that the Viper is a bit outdated. It's not a bad disc, it's just not one of the best ones for the job. For a very overstable driver I like what cmlasley suggested, but I'd add the Spirit. I also agree with what he said about the understable driver and mids.

I'd also consider choosing between the Valks and Wraith.

For moderately overstable drivers I like the Starfire-X in Champ or Star and the Z Avenger. There are a bunch of moderately overstable, super fast discs out there that I haven't tried, too. The reason you want something faster in this spot is for penetration into the wind. They also work well for hyzers that aren't as steep and longer than what you can do with your very overstable driver.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby cmlasley » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:04 am

Like garu said, the Starfire is a moderately overstable driver, and if you get it in Pro plastic, it's the Starfire-L and just a stable driver (not really over or understable until it gets a little wear in which case it is understable). You really need something more overstable than that for the very overstable slot. If you are throwing in the sub-300-330' range, a Banshee is great. Otherwise, I say Firebird or Predator. The Spirit is good, but it seems like they really vary in stability and are fairly wide-winged, so they might age faster, even in premium plastics.

The Viper is a good mold, but I agree that there are better moderately overstable discs out there - I like the Sirius Orion LF.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby garublador » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:50 am

cmlasley wrote:I like the Sirius Orion LF.
I forgot the SOLF. I like it a lot, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby adidadg » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:19 am

RoomTenONine wrote:
Any thoughts on the Putters? I've thought about trying a Wizard, but 1) I'm not sure what plastic/softness to get and 2) what I have seems to be working great.

You wont notice too much of a difference between your KC/JK Aviars and a wizard, they are very much along the same lines. So if the putters you have are working for you, stick with em.
adidadg

Postby RoomTenONine » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:50 pm

Thanks for the input folks.

I'll ditch the Archangel and replace with the beat Eagle. I'll keep my Gazelle in so it can eventually move into the understable slot as well.

Skeeters will be moved out as Rocs wear in and more Rocs move in the bag.

I'm still in testing with Wraiths, so once I decide if I prefer them or the Valk I will lock on to one of them.

I will try out a Z Avenger and SOLF for moderate overstable and a Banshee or Z pred for really overstable as they seem to be up my alley based on reviews here.

Thanks again everyone, this is all very helpful.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RoomTenONine » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 pm

Just a quick double check before I order some overstable discs because I think I'm misinterpreting a post.

I'd like to order:

SOLF for moderately overstable

Z predator for very overstable.

Correct? Thanks again folks. I'm excited to get my bag fully tweaked.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 am

RoomTenONine wrote:Just a quick double check before I order some overstable discs because I think I'm misinterpreting a post.

I'd like to order:

SOLF for moderately overstable

Z predator for very overstable.

Correct? Thanks again folks. I'm excited to get my bag fully tweaked.
Correct!

It sounds like you're interpreting things just fine. Those discs are both very highly recommended by many pepole on this board.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:28 am

Thanks for the clarification. I'm excited to branch out from Innova and just use what works. It is fun to experiment with different discs, but as you buy more and more it is nice to not waste money.

Thanks again everyone.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Banzai » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:11 am

Your bag looks a lot like mine.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=7887

(Scroll down). I've found the Champ Firebird to be awesome addition, but the Z Pred I've heard is better...

If you add the SOLF, let me know how it works as I'm looking for a mod. overstable driver as well.

One other thing: I had a couple rocs, a Stingray, and a Star Skeeter for my mids. My game has benefitted a ton from dropping the skeeter and just beating in the Roc exclusively. Go play like 3 or 4 two disc rounds w/ one Roc and putter, and your Roc will fly longer and straighter than that Skeeter. You'll have be more consistent with it rather than swtiching up molds for diff. shots. It really worked for me. I'm almost to the point now where I can drop the stingray since one of my Rocs is pretty understable.

The wraith/valk seems like overlap. The Wraith is fun to play around with (I have a Pro Wraith I pull out for kicks), but I find it to be too nose angle sensitive for someone with my power range (350+) . I've dripped it and stuck with the Valk for distance. But I guess which you choose depends how far you're throwing.
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby Banzai » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:16 am

RoomTenONine wrote:Skeeters will be moved out as Rocs wear in and more Rocs move in the bag.

Sorry, just saw this. Definitely the right plan. :)
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:26 am

banzai7 wrote:Your bag looks a lot like mine.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=7887

(Scroll down). I've found the Champ Firebird to be awesome addition, but the Z Pred I've heard is better...

If you add the SOLF, let me know how it works as I'm looking for a mod. overstable driver as well.

One other thing: I had a couple rocs, a Stingray, and a Star Skeeter for my mids. My game has benefitted a ton from dropping the skeeter and just beating in the Roc exclusively. Go play like 3 or 4 two disc rounds w/ one Roc and putter, and your Roc will fly longer and straighter than that Skeeter. You'll have be more consistent with it rather than swtiching up molds for diff. shots. It really worked for me. I'm almost to the point now where I can drop the stingray since one of my Rocs is pretty understable.

The wraith/valk seems like overlap. The Wraith is fun to play around with (I have a Pro Wraith I pull out for kicks), but I find it to be too nose angle sensitive for someone with my power range (350+) . I've dripped it and stuck with the Valk for distance. But I guess which you choose depends how far you're throwing.

Thanks for the input. We do have similar bags. Nice to know I'm on the right track here. I will report back with SOLF details when I've had time to work with it (just ordered).

I've played my last 2 rounds with 3 discs: Teebird, Roc and KC Aviar. I've worked the Roc the most, driving and putting with it as well. You all weren't kidding about this being the best route to learn how to throw mids and reduce your mold count. Right on!
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:43 am

Updated bump
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion