shirfan's bag, any suggestions?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

shirfan's bag, any suggestions?

Postby shirfan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:43 pm

Let me preface by saying that I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate right now. I also only carry my full bag for "serious" rounds, when I'm practicing I'll usually just carry one fairway driver, one mid, and a putter.

Stable Control Driver:
Star TL 168
Lightning #2 172 <--I hate its grip, its rim, and its ugly "blends in with all foliage" camoflage tye-dye, but it floats. Strictly an "over water" addition.

Fairway Driver:
Pro Leopard 169

Understable Drivers:
DX Leopard 150
Beat DX Leopard 150 <--flippier than a chinese gymnast

Moderately Overstable Driver
Champ Starfire 170

Very Overstable Driver
none, I don't have the form yet.

Mids:
Star Shark 172 <-- my most responsive and predictable disc
DX Shark 150 <-- I'll switch to this one for easier annys

Putters:
Soft Magnet <--also used for approach shots if I'm in thick trees or need to stick a landing

I'm fairly adamant about sticking with Soft Magnets -- that one disc has kept me out of a lot of trouble and gotten me out of a lot more. But I'm open to suggestions on mids and drivers... are Rocs *that* much better than Sharks?
shirfan
Noob

Re: shirfan's bag, any suggestions?

Postby cmlasley » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:36 pm

shirfan wrote: But I'm open to suggestions on mids and drivers... are Rocs *that* much better than Sharks?

Sharks are solid mids. Switch to Rocs when you start to see your Sharks get "squirelly" i.e. inconsistent because of the power you put on them. Rocs are much better into a headwind and fly a tighter line. They also lose their low-speed fade before getting a lot of high-speed turn, which Sharks don't do.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Re: shirfan's bag, any suggestions?

Postby garublador » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:45 am

shirfan wrote:Stable Control Driver:
Star TL 168
Lightning #2 172 <--I hate its grip, its rim, and its ugly "blends in with all foliage" camoflage tye-dye, but it floats. Strictly an "over water" addition.

Fairway Driver:
Pro Leopard 169
What's the difference between those two categories?

IMO, if you have the arm for a Starfire, you have the arm for a very overstable driver. I'd argue that you develop the arm for a very overstable driver before you develop the arm for a moderately overstable driver. Very overstable drivers are good for most all spike hyzers that aren't easy to do with a putter and great for most "must go left" shots. Moderately overstable drivers need to get up to their cruising speed to really see the benefit.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby cmlasley » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:55 am

I just took it to mean he was using his Starfire as his very overstable driver.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby reed » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:44 pm

maybe it's just me but i personally would reccomend replacing one of the leopards, probably the newer one with a heavier leopard. Not a lot more, but two 150's kinda limits you a bit.
reed
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Valk

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion