Need input

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need input

Postby Billym » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:13 pm

So now I am all confused.
Please bear with me as I explain.
I have been playing 1-3 rounds a day for 6 months now and can throw 300 feet consistently.
I have been using Leopards/Cheetahs as understable driver and in the beginning a Gazelle as my stable driver.
I added Firebirds as my overstable and headwind driver.
I stayed away from Valks, Waiths etc.

A few rounds ago I took out a wraith and immediately added 50 feet to my drives. I need to concentrate and release the disc as planned but I have almost aced the same 350 foot hole at least six times crashing in pin high to the left and skipping over the basket; this is the usual ace run line.

Tonight I took out a valkyrie tonight and used it in place of my leopards and also got bigger distance. A few drives turned and then faded slightly but several drives just turned and sailed on a clean right turning arc just like a leo but further.

Is is time I start to move up in speed? I played a weekly tonight and no one said they saw much OAT on my drives; they usually will tell me if they see something wrong.

So I am definitely adding the wraith but should I switch the leos for valks? Use both?

Also I am trying out a Eagle X as a replacement for the gazelle.

sorry for the long post any input would help.
Thanks
Bill
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby mattshustack » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:35 am

Hey Billy, nice playing in doubles the other day. Anyway, I throw a bunch of the stuff you're trying out, so hopefully I can help a bit. First of all, I keep two Valkyries in my bag, a Star and a Champion, the Star is pretty stable, and the Champion holds an anhyzer for a bit longer, but has a pretty big fade at the end. I occasionally use them for flips, but I've found that I can't get enough power into them to get a really good flip. If you want something that will flip every time and fly a lot like the Valkyrie, I highly recommend a Sidewinder. I'd also highly recommend replacing the Gazelle with either an Eagle or an Eagle-X. Eagles are my go-to disc for accurate distance, I throw mine more than any other disc (plus it's my ace disc). I'd say try a Champion Eagle first, and if you're flipping that then move up to an Eagle-X. I recently moved to the Eagle-X, and I noticed that 1. it took a much longer time to break in to where it just goes straight and 2. it takes a good amount more power to get that amazingly straight flight. Hope that helps

-Matt
mattshustack
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby cmlasley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:02 am

I think it's a good idea for you add the Valks as your open distance driver, but I would not stop throwing those slower discs, especially the Gazelles. Gazelles have a lot more range than most would think, and they are wonderful discs.

If you just have to have something with more D, I would go for a DX Teebird. Wraiths are good discs, but you'll be better off holding off throwing them even if you are tossing them 350'. I used to throw Wraiths, but I switched down to Teebirds as my primary driver and throw SOLFs for open D. By learning to throw Teebirds, I can get them out as far as I used to throw Wraiths with much more accuracy.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:37 am

You'll get instant distance with the Wraiths and Valks and if you need that for tournaments then you can add them, but they won't teach you how to improve your distance nearly as well as the slower discs at the distances you're throwing.
garublador
Disc Whore

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion