Patrick New

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Patrick New

Postby frennis524 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:50 pm

I was just hoping some people would point out if my bag has any holes or people with similar bags would say what they are in need of.

Control Drivers
165 Champ Eagle x
174 Champ Eagle x
167 Champ Teebird-nice distance not sure I can let this straight arrow go

Distance/Moderately Overstable
172 Orion LF
Will get a second when the other one beats

Understable
167 Champ Leopard

Overstable
172 z Predator

Mids
Well used 180 Dx Roc
180 KC Roc-nice and stable

Putter
Don't ask because you will probably laugh at me, but it works for me up to 35 super MONEY and outside of that it is decent as well
frennis524
Tree Magnet

Re: Patrick New

Postby marmoset » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:55 pm

frennis524 wrote:Putter
Don't ask because you will probably laugh at me, but it works for me up to 35 super MONEY and outside of that it is decent as well

Blowfly? UltraStar? XCaliber?
Now you GOTTA tell us!

Without knowing how you throw or how far you throw, I'd say your bag looks pretty tight. The big question is "do YOU see any holes in your bag?" You probably don't feel like you are missing any shots, right?

Are you asking for additional discs to try or if there's existing overlap?
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby sweeper » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:06 pm

Putter

86 softie?Rippa?Putt'r?Zephyr?Barracuda? ok maybe not that last one...

Other than that I have no help to give about your bag. I can't even get my own together for more than 2 weeks.
sweeper
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby frennis524 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:12 pm

Well for the shot I want to own is a hyzer flip into a soft anhyzer. I don't have a leopard yet, but I thought it would fill the spot nicely. I also was wonder about the overlap between the Teebird and OLF.

As for the putter...it is a beat(I mean beat) 180 Dx Roc. I have used putters but I like the feel of it pulling forward out of my hands towards the chains
frennis524
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:52 pm

looks good, pretty similar to mine. i use a broken-in eagle instead of a teebird, and only sometimes put an olf in. for me it goes maybe 20' further than an eagle but that doesn't really translate to lower scores for me.

yeah, the olf will fly something like a faster tb when new, and like a faster eagle when beat in a bit. that's sort of overlap but it's enough faster to keep it around anyway. and being faster it flies better than either into a headwind.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:59 pm

frennis524 wrote:As for the putter...it is a beat(I mean beat) 180 Dx Roc. I have used putters but I like the feel of it pulling forward out of my hands towards the chains

Why would we laugh at that? Using a beat midrange for a putter is more common than you might think. Is it something I'd recommend to everyone? No. But if it works for you, go with it. Hell, Johnny Sias won himself a World Championship back in the 80's putting with Rocs.

Besides, disc golf is all about non-conformity and style anyway.
wait for it...it won't take long...

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Timko » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:21 pm

sleepy wrote:Besides, disc golf is all about non-conformity and style anyway.
sleepy

As long as your naturally athletic.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby DPJ88 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:40 pm

I would finish that off. but I wasn't here for that thread- so it just wouldn't feel right.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby cmlasley » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:52 pm

Furthur wrote:
sleepy

. . . and work out.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:13 pm

cmlasley wrote:
Furthur wrote:
sleepy

. . . and work out.

the suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last! :lol:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:29 am

sleepy wrote:
cmlasley wrote:
Furthur wrote:
sleepy

. . . and work out.

the suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last! :lol:

sleepy

Punks! Oops that was what Brew Dog Breweries like...
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby marmoset » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:49 am

frennis524 wrote:Well for the shot I want to own is a hyzer flip into a soft anhyzer. I don't have a leopard yet, but I thought it would fill the spot nicely. I also was wonder about the overlap between the Teebird and OLF.

How far do you throw the TB and the OLF? That might be the determining factor here.

Leopards are great for hyzer-flip to anhyzer but the 167 Champ Leopard you have listed might take a little while to get understable enough to do that. For more immediate gratification try out the DX or Pro Leos while your champ beats in. Maybe your PIAS has a pre-loved DX Leo that will flip for you on the first throw...

I know a couple people who putt with Rocs; I do it alot, too, when I play 1 disc rounds. I don't think putting with them is too bad.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:16 am

sleepy wrote:Hell, Johnny Sias won himself a World Championship back in the 80's putting with Rocs.
I've heard this quoted a million times, and I have a little problem with it. I wasn't there or anything, but Sias won in 1986. I'm pretty sure the "Roc" in '86 was the disc we call the "Classic Roc" now. I don't think the San Marino Roc even came out until '87. So while he probably did put with a disc called a "Roc," and he may putt with a regular Roc now, I don't think it was possible for him to have won the World Championship putting with the disc we now consider THE Roc. It would have had to have been a Classic Roc, which is pretty much a low profile putter.

There was something else I needed to say. What was it?

Oh, Yeah!

Bitches! :P
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby sleepy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:28 am

Working Stiff wrote:Oh, Yeah!

Bitches! :P

Ah, there it is! :P

Working Stiff wrote:
sleepy wrote:Hell, Johnny Sias won himself a World Championship back in the 80's putting with Rocs.
I've heard this quoted a million times, and I have a little problem with it. I wasn't there or anything, but Sias won in 1986. I'm pretty sure the "Roc" in '86 was the disc we call the "Classic Roc" now. I don't think the San Marino Roc even came out until '87. So while he probably did put with a disc called a "Roc," and he may putt with a regular Roc now, I don't think it was possible for him to have won the World Championship putting with the disc we now consider THE Roc. It would have had to have been a Classic Roc, which is pretty much a low profile putter.

That could certainly be true. I was basing my statement off of an article I read in an issue of Disc Golf magazine from last year. It was an article all about putting written by Sias, and in it he said he putts with 'a beat Roc'. I guess I just assumed that meant a regular Roc, not a Classic, and that he had always done so.

So, to clarify:

Johnny Sias has stated, in the past, that he putts with 'a beat Roc'. I can neither confirm nor deny the exact mold specifications of said Roc, nor the date he started putting with said Roc. ;)

sleepy

sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 am

I hear some other guy won 12 times using Aviars. ;) Also, look at KC's bag from the Innova site:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/ken.html

It's almost a cut-and paste version of what's recommended on here.

I bet that Johnny Sias' putting wouldn't be drastically affected by using a putter. I bet he'd still hit a lot more putts than most of us. Most pepole that decide they like putting with a midrange can't say the same thing.

In short, if you're putting well enough to win Worlds, then go ahead and putt with a midrange. If you want to learn to putt well enough to win tournaments, learn to use a putter.
garublador
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion