The bag heading into the fall

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The bag heading into the fall

Postby DPJ88 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:10 pm

Well, this is my bag heading into fall. so far it has been solid for me. the only real change since summer is swapping out the Teebird in favor of the Eagle, and reimplementing the buzzz, removing the Comet.

on golf lines I hit about 350-370 feet of power. have touched 400+ in open fields.

but if anyone has any suggestions- such as _____ disc may work better than _____.

or if you just flat out despise my disc selections- I take it all under advisement and usually at least go out and try any disc that is suggested. so anything would be nice.

1.) Stable Control Drivers
169 - Star Eagle - straight/hyzer
174 - Z Xpress - super straight, zero fade

2.) Distance Drivers
169 - Champ Orc - MaxD little/no wind
171 - Champ Orc - MaxD danger shot/water/trees
175 - Champ Orc - MaxD w/ wind

3.) Understable Drivers
166 - Z Xpress - anhyzers
174 - Z Xpress - same from above- super straight to gradual anhyzers that level out after the turn

4.) Moderately Overstable Drivers
169 - Star Eagle - same as above, handles headwind well. nice tight S into good wind

5.) Very Overstable Drivers
169 - FLX Predator - pig overstable (abnormally so) spike hyzers/thumbers
169 - FLX Predator - like a pred should be.

6.) Mids
169 - Z Buzzz - gradual anhyzers or super straight
174 - Z Buzzz - superstraight with some wind
170 - Z Wasp - gradual hyzer/straight in stiff wind
176 - Z Wasp - pig overstable (tuned)

7.) Putters
170 - FLX challenger - approach/drives
175 - Z Magnet - 100% putting duties.

just kind of what to know what people think.
if you have any questions about anything in my bag, I'll do my best to answer them.

spot any holes- go ahead and tell me. etc.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby marmoset » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Have you tested a TL against your Xpresses? If so, what did you find and why did you keep the Xpress?

The reason I ask is because the TL seems to have alot more fans. I have a Z Xpress but I've never had a TL (I found 2 at different times but returned them).
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby DPJ88 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:14 pm

I have yet to throw a TL, actually. so I can't offer any sort of comparison.

but my justification behind the Xpress is this: I've had an Xpress in my bag ever since I started disc golf and it was really the first disc I learned to throw on multiple lines. I found it to be extremely controllable and I have a lot of confidence in the disc. I can hit long gradual anny lines that flatten out after the curve, which is ideal for some of the holes at my home course- or I can get it to roll over and just ride the anny into the ground if I need it to. just avoid any strong headwinds with it and it will do what you tell it to. at my power level I do have to put some hyzer on it to put it straight- or just ease off the gun a little bit. but it works great.

a buddy of mine used to throw X Xpresses. and those were just a world apart from the Z. they are rated at -1, while the Z is at 0. so I suppose that alone is an indication of the differences.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Re: The bag heading into the fall

Postby garublador » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:51 am

DPJ88 wrote:4.) Moderately Overstable Drivers
169 - Star Eagle - same as above, handles headwind well. nice tight S into good wind
You might want something faster for this spot. The Eagle has the stability needed for the wind, but it doesn't penetrate as well as some other discs. The point of the #4 spot isn't just being able to handle wind, it's also to get maximum distance into the wind. A bonus is that they're also great for hyzers that don't need to fade as hard as what you use your #5 driver for, but need to be longer. Don't give up on the Eagle in the wind, it sounds like you're using it right, I just think adding something faster will be benefitial to cover more shots.

I'm a fan of the Z Avenger, Starfire-X and SOLF, but I'm sure there are lots of other discs that fit into that category well, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby DPJ88 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am

I used to throw a Z Reaper for my Max D wind shots. it seemed to penetrate better than the eagle.

I always have one or 2 around. I really do like reapers a lot- but when I switched to the Eagle from the TeeBird I figured it seemed to handle the wind well enough.

I could put a starfire in the bag. but I imagine it would have to be max weight. I have a 169 that seems to fly very much like my Orcs.

btw- is a starfire just an Orc mold with a nose spacer to slow it down and add stability? that is what it looks like.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion