I need some help building my bag... (beginner)

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I need some help building my bag... (beginner)

Postby PaulSimonon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Drivers:
Dx Leopard 169
Elite Z Cyclone 167

Mid Range:
D Buzzz 179

P&A:
DX Aviar 179

Right now I feel like I need a slow speed driver that fades left more. If I throw either of the drivers I have now anny they seem to carry that into the ground, and I want a driver that will come back left. Suggestions are definitely welcome.

I am still just starting out, I can consistently drive out to 220' accurately with my drivers, about 170'-ish with my mid. I throw rhbh.
PaulSimonon
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzz

Re: I need some help building my bag... (beginner)

Postby jeremy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:58 pm

DX Tee Bird between 168gr and 171gr is my suggestion.
Thats a little heavy for an Aviar, but the bag looks nice and simple, keep it that way.

How far are you throwing each disc?
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby PaulSimonon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:13 pm

jeremy wrote:DX Tee Bird between 168gr and 171gr is my suggestion.
Thats a little heavy for an Aviar, but the bag looks nice and simple, keep it that way.

How far are you throwing each disc?

Max D I can get the leopard 230', the cyclone out to 240', the buzzz to 190' and the aviar to about 170'.

I had a 171 DX Teebird and threw it in a lake... Good disc, and I will be getting another in a bit, but I want one that will fade left more. The Teebird didn't really fade too much, it flew straight as an arrow for me.
PaulSimonon
Noob

Postby marmoset » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 pm

You might be pleasantly surprised by how nice a Pro D Cyclone is. I don't like the Z Cyclones and I know some other people who don't, either. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it adds another 20 feet onto your drives.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby PaulSimonon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:17 am

Currently my bag when I play for money has changed to:

Overstable driver: 175 DX Banshee
Main/Stable driver: 169 DX Cheetah
Understable: 165 DX Sidewinder

Mid: 175(?) D Buzzes

P&A: Aviars

Recently I've been trying a bunch of drivers to find a different main driver. I've bought in the past few weeks a QJLS, a T-bone, and a X Cyclone. My arm has improved a bit to around 280 when thrown flat on flat ground without an X-step, and should (hopefully) hit 300 once I work on getting my weight transferred forward better.

Thus far the Cheetah is working the best both distance and control wise, but I also haven't spent much time throwing the other discs.

So at the moment, my question is this: If you could pick one primary driver for me what would it be and why?
PaulSimonon
Noob

Postby marmoset » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:01 am

I'd pick the Pro D (or maybe the Elite X) Cyclone or the DX Gazelle.
They are slow enough to leave you on the fairway even if your throw isn't perfect and they are responsive enough to teach you how to correctly throw different throws like hyzer, anhyzer, flat, hyzer flip, turnover, etc. Given halfway decent technique they will go pretty far, too. After you use them enough they will lose stability and they will be easier to throw and start flying like your Leopard (Leos should be understable or curving to the right when you throw right hand, backhand).

Lots of us on this forum carry multiple copies of the same disc. A new Gazelle for straight shotsand hyzers (left turns), a Gazelle that's somwhat worn for the S shots and gentle anhyzers (right turns), and a really beat one for hyzer flips and hard anhyzers.

I think Leopards are a good first primary driver, but you'll have a 'Leopard' after you beat up a Gazelle or Cyclone. Depending on what weight your QJLS is, that might not be a bad choice either. You already have several discs that would work well. It sounds like you have had some good teachers somewhere along the line.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby garublador » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 am

I'd stick with the Cheetah for now and maybe grab a Cyclone or Gazelle like marmoset suggested to use for more overstable stuff. They'll be a bit hard to turn at those distances. As you improve and the discs get beat up more the Cheetah will be a good understable driver and the Cyclone/Gazelle will be getting real controlable. You can reevaluate which discs you like from there but you should have a solid foundation.

I'd be weary about jumping to a Teebird too soon. They aren't very forgiving.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby cmlasley » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:35 pm

garublador wrote:I'd stick with the Cheetah for now and maybe grab a Cyclone or Gazelle like marmoset suggested to use for more overstable stuff. They'll be a bit hard to turn at those distances. As you improve and the discs get beat up more the Cheetah will be a good understable driver and the Cyclone/Gazelle will be getting real controlable. You can reevaluate which discs you like from there but you should have a solid foundation.

I'd be weary about jumping to a Teebird too soon. They aren't very forgiving.

x2
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:57 pm

this is what I would suggest

D Cyclone (beat for turnovers) look in the used bins (you can substitute a D XL if you cannot find one)
D Cyclone 170 -175 (straight) get a new one and break it in yourself
Z Cyclone 175 (stable fade) get a new one and break it in yourself

Wizard or Kc Pro Aviar

That is it.

When you can throw a new D Cyclone 300', you can add a mid.

If you are throwing 240', there is no need for anything else (unless you just like carrying a discs for no reason)
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby cmlasley » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Z Cyclone 175 (stable fade) get a new one and break it in yourself

Cruel and unusual punishment.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion