fr0sty711 bag (disc Whore)

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

fr0sty711 bag (disc Whore)

Postby Fr0sty711 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:36 am

this is my first bag critique. I have only been playin for 6 months now and took advice from people on here and started out with teebirds and fairway drivers until i could get out to 300 consistently. Just about a month ago i started buying and trading discs and trying to find out what i like. here is what my bag has been for about the last 3 weeks.

Stable Driver:
174 Champion SL

Max D
175 SOLS (new)

(1x Champion beast 162g used to be my fav and max D driver but if there is more than 4mph wind it gets flippy so i took it out)

Overstable Driver
174 Boss (new)

Understable Driver
150 champion valkyrie (beat)

Headwind Driver:
167 Star Eagle (newish)

Fairway drivers:

172 Dx teebird (beat)
165 Dx leopard (new)
175 Dx Eagle L (new)

Mids:

176 Dx Bigbird roc (very Beat)
180 Dx San marino Roc

Putters:

175 Supersoft Wizard (new) putter
171 XD(new) approach

Sidearm shot discs:

150 Champion Leaopard (kinda beat)
175 Champion Monarch (new)

other discs in bag:

175 star TL (gettin beat)
175 Champion Sidewinder(newish)
175 Champion beast(new)

I would like any critique on my bag. I have entertained the idea of gettin some lighter discs like in the 166 range b/c my D is only 320- 370 and prob. around only 300 consistently. I am kinda a disc whore. I buy a new disc try it once or twice and then if i don't like it i go buy another one.(I just recently found out how beating in a disc changes it) I would like to stop this habbit b/c it is getting expensive. I throw mostly innova as u can see. i think i have thrown like 2 or 3 disccraft discs and none has impressed me but i would like to try some others out if they would fit in my bag. The only discs i am in Love with are my Dx Teebird and Rocs. all other i would trade out. I am a backhand thrower and my line shapeing is inconsistent so that is why i rely on my boss for dogleg left holes and my valk for dogleg right holes. ok so hopefully with your help i can find a bag of like 15-20 disc that i can stay with for the next yr. or so. I am up to using any companies disc and any plastic. I can put a list of all the disc i have bought and still own if that would help but i wont do that till asked. OK i think thats enough info. thanks
Last edited by Fr0sty711 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teebirds,X preds,Eagle x's ,BUzzzz,SSS Wizards

My Trade list
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18186
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Re: fr0sty711 bag (disc Whore)

Postby Eric O » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:33 am

Fr0sty711 wrote:I would like any critique on my bag. I have entertained the idea of gettin some lighter discs like in the 166 range b/c my D is only 320- 370 and prob. around only 300 consistently. I am kinda a disc whore. I buy a new disc try it once or twice and then if i don't like it i go buy another one.(I just recently found out how beating in a disc changes it) I would like to stop this habbit b/c it is getting expensive. I throw mostly innova as u can see. i think i have thrown like 2 or 3 disccraft discs and none has impressed me but i would like to try some others out if they would fit in my bag. The only discs i am in Love with are my Dx Teebird and Rocs. all other i would trade out. I am a backhand thrower and am not that great at shapeing lines. I can shape hyzer lines and lines with my rocs. so that is why i rely on my boss for dogleg left holes and my valk for dogleg right holes. ok so hopefully with your help i can find a bag of like 15-20 disc that i can stay with for the next yr. or so. I am up to using any companies disc and any plastic. I can put a list of all the disc i have bought and still own if that would help but i wont do that till asked. OK i think thats enough info. thanks

16 unique molds, which is what you have listed, is way too many when you're learning. If you are serious about learning line shaping, having that many different discs at your disposal is only going to slow you down in the process of developing consistency.

I'll let you in on a little secret here. The bag critique section of this forum is not really necessary. Starting out you should just have some basic molds that cover the range of shots: A putter, a stable midrange, and a set of controllable drivers that let you go left, right, straight and into the wind. Once you feel like you have mastered that you can throw anything you want, but keeping it simple while you get comfortable with the fundamentals is beneficial for most people.

Having said all that, if I were going to build your bag for you from the discs you listed, it would be like this: Wizard, Rocs, Cheetah, Teebird, Eagles.

With that setup you have the tools for all the shots. I also selected discs (cheetah, eagle) that are good for learning to shape lines. Please don't use the Boss as an overstable driver. Sounds like from the description of your throw the Star Eagle would work for you in that slot, but if not I would suggest something along the lines of Banshee, Firebird, Predator, etc.

Have fun, and remember you can get more out of reading Blake's throwing articles and doing the drills he has set up than you can from buying a new disc.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fr0sty711 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks for the 1 person who gave me advice. lol I wanted to correct something . i had that i had a cheetah but it is actually a leopard. I don't no if that changes anything. I no i am still new to the sport but i am consistenly getting 0 or just +2 on my home course. So i don't want to go back to the bear basics. i mean i used only teebirds and eagles and wizards for the 1st 4 months. But your right i do need to pract. some line shapeings.soo Anymore input anyone else can give would be GREAT!!

My Trade list
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:41 am

I think Eric pretty much nailed it. I too am a disc whore and have swapped plastic in and out for the past year and a half trying to find that perfect combination. To be truthful with you all I got to show for it was an empty wallet and less space in my closet! If I were you I would take out most of the premium plastic and stick with the fairway drivers and the mids. Going back to DX has been awesome for my game. Grab yourself a DX Eagle X or a Gazelle (my fav) in a weight you like and don't look back.
This is unbelievable disc that acts like space ship. -lovetodg-

Wizard / Roc / Comet / Banshee / Eagle / OLF
BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Eagle

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:01 am

Carrying multiple discs of the same mold in different stages of wear is key to cutting down on the number of molds you lug around. Mebbe keep a couple teebirds, and a couple of eagles/gazelles to cover the drivers. That leopard will make a nice roller/understable disc till one of your eagles/gazelles/teedbirds gets beat in enough to occupy that slot. Grab whichever distance driver you feel most comfortable with (I like the SOLS and the Valk, and I've been told the Sidewinder is nice too) and don't forget the ROCs!!!!! Toss in putter of your choice (or two) and bang!! The go anywhere do anything disc golf rig is born.

One more thing, a true overstable driver would be a great addition to your bag. Your star eagle is a great disc for headwinds but I like the Firechicken and the Pred a lil better. Since you seem to prefer Innova I would suggest the firebird. I use mine for overhead shots and sidearm driver as well. Hope some of my rambling helps.

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fr0sty711 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:15 pm

i would like to try a Pred. what plastic should i get it in? I have a a dx and champion firebird and don't like them that much.

My Trade list
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Z, ESP, FLX... they're all good. I usually use the Z, though. The FLX is a pig and I use it accordingly. IIRC, X Preds (now discontinued) are the original mold and slightly less overstable. I REALLY like X Preds. Tsunamis are also original mold Preds and come in a sweet plastic.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Fr0sty711 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:40 pm

what would be a TRUE overstable disc that i should add to my bag?

My Trade list
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:11 am

What didn't you like about the firebird? My 11x Champ is as overstable as they come, I have never thrown a predator (mebbe I should) but as far as overstable discs go the firebird is a great option.

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:37 am

BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome wrote:...predator...firebird...

These seem to be the two popular overstable drivers.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby ferretdance03 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:05 am

At 300ft average D a Predator/Firebird will more than likely be nothing other than a meathook for you. If that's what you're looking for, then by all means. If you're looking for more D before the great crash, try a Banshee or maybe an Avenger.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby garublador » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:00 am

ferretdance03 wrote:If you're looking for more D before the great crash, try a Banshee or maybe an Avenger.
That's what moderately overstable drivers are for. Having a meathook is good.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Fr0sty711 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 am

thanks soo far for everyones advice. so what i am hear from everyone is i should minimize my discs. so how does this look

Distance driver- SOLS
Headwind Driver- Star Eagle
Overstable driver/meathook -x or z Pred or ch firebird/ banshee or avenger
Fairways-star TL,eagle x or L, Dx teebird
Roller-Dx leoprad
Mids-Dx and San marino Rocs
Putters- wizards and XD

is that still toooo many molds or is that better and what about an understable disc? The understable disc i use now is a 150 valk that set on the side of a river bank for like 4 months so if got alittle deformed and after 220 it turns hard right so its perfect for a dogleg right shot but i understand that if i lose it i wont be able to go out and buy a valk that is like that. and i do like Starfires and Beasts can they fit in somewhere? And has anyone thrown the Banger putter from discraft.? if so did u like it?
Last edited by Fr0sty711 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Trade list
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am

The Leopard is already a great understable disc. It might even take the place of your TL depending on your power and technique.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Fr0sty711 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:02 am

i edited my last comment up above. after u commented about the leopard SRY!

My Trade list
Fr0sty711
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion