What do I need / not need in my bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What do I need / not need in my bag

Postby kern9787 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Drivers
Champion Orc (174/173)
165 Star Orc (Sweet black plastic btw)
174 Star Max
Champion Valkyrie (150/170)
2x 175 Star TL
150 Champion Teebird

Mids
175 Champion Gator
2x 180 dx Roc (one well beat)
173 Star Cro (when i need less glide than a roc)

Putter
175 JK Aviar

Right now I'm considering replacing my Orcs with Teerex's as my TL's can do most of what I use my Orc's for.

I don't get the opportunity to play with high level players very often so I wanted to know what others think about my bag. Thanks
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Re: What do I need / not need in my bag

Postby adidadg » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:03 am

Looks like a pretty good setup. You could probably drop the Cro, if you want a shorter flight than your Rocs you'd be better off throwing your JK Aviar. Also IMO the Orc is a more versatile distance driver than the teerex, and isnt like a TL at all....
adidadg

Postby SkaBob » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Don't the TL and the valk overlap a bit?
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby kern9787 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 pm

I haven't really got to the point with my aviar that I'm comfortable with it on longer approaches yet. When I do, the cro will probably be gone. The orc will stick around for longer anhyzers as long as there isn't a tailwind (which is what I keep the valks for). I use my TL's for anything upwards of 350 ft, hyzer, anhyzer, straight.

I really appreciate the input. Any other ideas / criticisms?
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Need a putter or two to drive with. That should cover most shots up to 275' or so.

Nothing else matters, really, if you hit the lines with what you've got. What you do need in your bag is discs that you can rely on. What you don't need in your bag are loose body parts, especially fresh ones.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby adidadg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:39 pm

kern9787 wrote:I haven't really got to the point with my aviar that I'm comfortable with it on longer approaches yet.

If you are used to throwing rocs, I'd bet that you would get used to the aviar pretty quickly. Its not too far off from just being a slower roc and should actually be easier to throw.
adidadg

Postby kern9787 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:34 pm

Up until this last week I've been really overpowering my rocs, mostly because I've been used to that gator. I've really been getting the roc down in the last couple days and have been wanting to throw around my aviar a little more. I'm probably going to hit the aviar hard tomorrow. Thanks.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:22 pm

kern9787 wrote:Up until this last week I've been really overpowering my rocs, mostly because I've been used to that gator. I've really been getting the roc down in the last couple days and have been wanting to throw around my aviar a little more. I'm probably going to hit the aviar hard tomorrow. Thanks.
this is one of the reasons I frown on discs like the Gator, they are bad for your form and honestly kinda useless, I find it much more effective to power down on a driver or make my rocs fly more stable by manipulating nose angle and such than to really nut a disc like a Gator,Pig,Drone,Sentinel etc.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby kern9787 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:22 pm

I've been throwing the gator less and less now since I've being getting better use of my rocs. Ideally I would like to limit my gator usage to when I'm throwing short hyzers in high winds, especially crosswinds.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:27 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
kern9787 wrote:Up until this last week I've been really overpowering my rocs, mostly because I've been used to that gator. I've really been getting the roc down in the last couple days and have been wanting to throw around my aviar a little more. I'm probably going to hit the aviar hard tomorrow. Thanks.
this is one of the reasons I frown on discs like the Gator, they are bad for your form and honestly kinda useless, I find it much more effective to power down on a driver or make my rocs fly more stable by manipulating nose angle and such than to really nut a disc like a Gator,Pig,Drone,Sentinel etc.

I think both versions hold relevant pieces of the whole that's why I like to be able to throw both ways. Sentinels in suitable winds fly like broken in Rocs in calm weather...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:43 am

JR wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:

I think both versions hold relevant pieces of the whole that's why I like to be able to throw both ways. Sentinels in suitable winds fly like broken in Rocs in calm weather...
are you talking about the M Sentinel? cuz my Q is not like a used Roc regardless of conditions
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:31 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
JR wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:

are you talking about the M Sentinel? cuz my Q is not like a used Roc regardless of conditions

I've gotten my 180 S and 176 M to fly perfectly straight with less than a disc width of fade to 280' in headwinds of different magnitudes. The 176 M is much less stable than the Sirius or my Q 160 so that's the closest one to a new Rancho DX. But give a bit of headwind to a new Rancho or my broken in (I think) M 176 and they are straight. About 12+ MPH headwind for S 180 makes it fly nice and straight to 280' with very little initial hyzer. Only a couple of degrees.

I've thrown the M 176 on a line drive to 295-300' and a couple feet more with an s-curve in calm weather. It does fade at that power but I'm not snap dominant yet I think.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BIG MACK » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:24 pm

The Gator has it's place...but I agree it shouldn't be thrown on a regular basis. It's just way too overstable and for me it's tough to get out there more than 200'. In my opinion, there is no better headwind midrange disc. The thing will NOT turn over and it ALWAYS comes back. I LOVE the first run Champion Gators...something special.
Putting is overrated.
BIG MACK
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby kern9787 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Still working on it, here's what I have right now

Using for sure:

Control Drivers
2 175 Star TL's

Stable / D
2 Seasoned Champ Orcs (174 and 173)

Overstable
174 Star Max

Midrange
Seasoned DX Roc 180
Beat DX Roc 180
CE San Marino Roc 180
175 CFR Gator

Putter
175 JK Aviar

Still playing with a few drivers. Any thoughts?
174 ESP Surge
165 FLX Surge (Will keep for the cold)
174 Star Teerex
175 Champ Starfire
175 Star XCal
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TLapham » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:34 am

In my opinion, the list below is the perfect way to set up your bag. It covers every shot you will need in a round and really makes it easy to see overlaps and whatnot. I put the Very Overstable in with the distance drivers, which should be your Firebird, XCal, Pred, Max... You obviously can have two of the same disc in the same category if you're comfortable with changing how you throw it. For example a seasoned Teebird could be in both the stable and understable control drivers, etc. Max of 14 discs and hopefully not a different mold for each, I recommend trying to minimalize the number of molds you carry as well. Hope this helps.

Distance Drivers:

V Overstable:
Overstable:
Stable:
Understable:

Control Drivers:

Overstable:
Stable:
Understable:

Midrange:

Overstable:
Stable: