critique me

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: critique me

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Please post a one step throw.

My guess is that is would be substantially better.

The actual throw is not that bad. All the mascinations leading up to it are simply not needed.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby C. B. » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:34 am

Funny you say that Bradley.

After we broke out the camera and finished filming our throws, he threw a stand-still shot without any runup. Both our jaws somewhat dropped when it went almost as far as a normal drive.

We knew that meant something, but weren't sure what.
What exactly does that mean?
C. B.
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby JR » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:10 pm

C. B. wrote:Funny you say that Bradley.

After we broke out the camera and finished filming our throws, he threw a stand-still shot without any runup. Both our jaws somewhat dropped when it went almost as far as a normal drive.

I can't tell exactly because I'm not too far from the same situation and probably don't know or at least can't perform well enough. I suspect that he may not be transferring all of the created energy into moving the disc. Perhaps slight early release (not the slip to the left way early kind), not pivoting the disc between the pinched index finger and thumb or some other slight form flaw or generating good linear speed but failing to generate enough rotational speed which probably is more important.

Or most of the D really comes from the rotation and a run up ain't gonna do as much anyhow. That's the way for me and I wouldn't wonder thanks to an instructional video by Feldy that's on the youtube. He talks about walking slow with the first two steps then accelerating hard with the plant step.

I can add perhaps 30' with a run up to long throws and I'm not totally a speed dominant thrower but probably still away from good snapper> Afraid to learn retarding some motions near the hit for disc pivot and best possible wrist action because of the added stresses (and previous pain) thanks to my life long injury in the throwing arm that's likely to never go away too well. Haven't checked a new type of surgery yet to mitigate some troubles that likely have already receded anyway but grr in any case. Will see if further healing and building up muscle mass and strengthening tendons will allow this later on. In the meantime I'm waiting for others to chime in. And the excellent instructional videos from masterbeato and crew. Hope the Climo/Feldy DVD will be of value.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:31 pm

C. B. wrote:Funny you say that Bradley.

That means your throw/snap in the hitting zone are pretty good, and everything else is doing nothing.

Thus my previous comment...

...so, this is good. You can work the hit back if you can one step.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jytwhite » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:40 am

So if I can summarize this thread...(working from the hit backwards) I'm raising back just before I'm supposed to (but don't) accelerate through the hit which doesn't matter anyway because I'm releasing early. Also, all of my power is coming from my upper body, or another way to say it, I'm getting no power from my lower body. Everything I'm doing before my foot is planted is fluff and unneeded.

To fix my issues, I probably need to drill with the masterbeato vid and work from the hit backwards. Sounds like Furthur had it right from the start. Sorry for any previous sarcasm.

Hey C.B.: good thing I didn't post a vid of my putting. :lol:
YT

EATME
Engineering and Architectural Tulsa Metro Employees Disc Golf Club

Trade List
jytwhite
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Magnet

Previous

Return to Video Critique