Have a look at my throws

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Have a look at my throws

Postby C. B. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:58 am

Here are my three videos. I'd love to hear feedback and tips. All three throws are teebirds. My average distance is 320', max at 380'. I've taken out all high speed drivers from the bag and have been throwing eagles, teebirds, gazelles.

Jytwhite and I filmed each other and will be using your critiques in the field to work on form. The comments directed towards his videos have been beneficial and I now know things to look for. I assume many comments will apply for my throws also.
Weight forward, acceleration, lower body involvement...all areas to work on.

Thanks for the help guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xbYpp6t95s&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXWz3Rpvits&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqA59-qZFjc&feature=channel
C. B.
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Re: Have a look at my throws

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:08 pm

My main suggestion is to get your lower body more involved. Use those hips to drive it all.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:24 pm

Yeah, I like the back foot kickover and heel rotation. What you're not doing is starting everything off with the lower body. You're just pulling with the arm. That's translating to no late acceleration.

Things to work on:

1) Get over plant foot a little more. This will probably mean throw some more understable discs when you are practicing.
2) Begin the throw by rotating the hips, then torso, then shoulders and arm pull.
3) Try pointing the elbow at the target more and accelerate late when the disc is reaching your right pec).
4) The disc is coming out early (on the left side of your body). Just practice the timing so that when your shoulders are square to the target, the disc is closer to the right side of your body than the left.
5) By being upright, you're sort of falling off to the right - this will torque the disc over some. By staying over your plant leg, you won't get that torque, so discs will feel more overstable.

Good luck :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby C. B. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for the comments. It's great to have another set of eyes to catch the things you can't see yourself.

black udder: When I watched my throw on tape for the first time, I had no idea I was doing that with my non-plant foot. It looks really odd and uncomfortable. I'm not noticing that in anyone else's throws. I thought the weird leg kick would be the biggest criticism. I thought that follow through translates to "getting over the plant foot". Can you specify when that needs to happen? Get over the plant foot at release? or start of pull?

I agree about #5, falling off to the right. My biggest problem in field practice is torquing my body to the right and pulling the discs way right, flip over, then cut rolling left. I try to tell myself to not lean right and focus on following through with my palm facing the ground instead of the sky.

I'll work on #2, rotating hips, then torso, then shoulders. I'm sure i'll have more questions to understand the timing of these steps.

Thanks!
C. B.
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:47 pm

MB does the foot kick, as well as Climo. That's supposed to help you get over onto your plant foot, but you're still too upright and that's allowing you to lean/follow through to the right. You need to push your weight onto that plant foot just as you start your max acceleration. By doing that (getting weight forward) you won't be able to fall off to the right, since you're weight will be forward :)

If you look at the good throwers, you'll see that they pretty much rotate in place on that plant foot. They don't carry momentum off the tee at all. If you watch MB's throws, you'll see he just stops. Then walks away off the tee as he's watching. There isn't any momentum carrying him.

To get the feeling of the power you can generate from the bottom up, just put your hands by your sides and relax them, then pretend you're throwing (without moving your arms up) and see how they move. Pivot your right knee into the back of your left knee, to start the throw, pivot the left knee into the back of the right one as you pivot the right one away. That should then be followed by your torso, then your hip rotating. If you leave your arms loose by your side, you'll see how much "whip" action you generate. Your goal is to generate that power and then actually move your arm with the disc at the end of that, so it's more whip-like. Guide the disc all the way down your arm until your wrist is curled in and the disc is almost touching your forearm. At that point, you hope that your chest is facing your target and your arm is almost straight in front of you. The disc should just pop out of your grip as the gravitational force flicks your wrist open and ejects the disc from your hand.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby C. B. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:39 pm

Wow, BU nice info!
That's a bunch to digest. I'll re-read it a few times to let that all soak in.
The whipping motion makes alot of sense.

jytwhite and I are planning to practice then refilm our throws when our families meet up for new years.
hopefully there will be some notable improvement on the areas you guys pointed out.
C. B.
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Which park is that?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby C. B. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Boomer Lake in Stillwater.

I live in okc and jytwhite lives in tulsa, so occasionally we'll meet up halfway in stillwater.

We played this past sunday in 40mph winds. Fun stuff.
When we got there it was mid 60's with winds from the south, by the time we were done playing, it was mid 30's winds from the north. #10 was straight into a headwind, if you've ever played that course.
C. B.
Tree Magnet

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:51 am

That was some good info black udder, thanks for that. It helps me too. :)
Wizard, Skeeter, T Bird, Valk, Pred
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fugazi - 13 Songs

Postby jytwhite » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:24 am

that's some great advice. i've started working on that drill just now, and i can see what BU is talking about with the whip. now, i just wish the weather would let up so i can work on it.

that was some day in stillwater.
YT

EATME
Engineering and Architectural Tulsa Metro Employees Disc Golf Club

Trade List
jytwhite
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Magnet

Postby Banzai » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:14 am

black udder wrote: The disc should just pop out of your grip as the gravitational force flicks your wrist open and ejects the disc from your hand.

It better not be "gravitational" force!
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby presidio hills » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:11 pm

one thing i notice specifically to the lower body power is your lack of push off the back foot. if you watch the second vid, your back foot actually slips for a split second at the point it should be pushing. it appears to me what you are doing is sort of falling onto your front foot instead of pushing onto your front foot.
i suggest practicing stand still and also one step throws, while really focusing on that push from the back foot. when i practice these i'm always thinking of steve brinster footy.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:17 am

I love that shirt.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby lsf21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 pm

black udder wrote:
To get the feeling of the power you can generate from the bottom up, just put your hands by your sides and relax them, then pretend you're throwing (without moving your arms up) and see how they move. Pivot your right knee into the back of your left knee, to start the throw, pivot the left knee into the back of the right one as you pivot the right one away. That should then be followed by your torso, then your hip rotating. If you leave your arms loose by your side, you'll see how much "whip" action you generate. Your goal is to generate that power and then actually move your arm with the disc at the end of that, so it's more whip-like. Guide the disc all the way down your arm until your wrist is curled in and the disc is almost touching your forearm. At that point, you hope that your chest is facing your target and your arm is almost straight in front of you. The disc should just pop out of your grip as the gravitational force flicks your wrist open and ejects the disc from your hand.

pretty sure that information should be handed to EVERY person thats begining to play.. just trying that in my family room makes me feel like im generating more arm speed.. now if that just translates on the course should be grand
lsf21
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique