am i asking for a miracle

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

am i asking for a miracle

Postby keltik » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf2NQKeGwtY

that's me.....i've stopped bruising my nipples thankfully.....i stopped that magically after i made that post

now i'm trying to figure out why i can't throw past 250 ft

and in the commentary (made by my dad while he was filming) he says i'm asking for a miracle.....and a lot of things about jesus (it was christmas day)

from what i'm seeing is that i'm releasing hyzer too much and maybe not snapping enough.....not enough arm speed it seems like

let me know what you guys think.....maybe some timing issues in there

oh yeah i have been rebuilding my throw back from the hit.....

anyway enjoy the vid.....and i hope you laugh at my dad's comments more than me.....

merry xmas

kel
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: am i asking for a miracle

Postby JR » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:34 am

The first throws were beautifully relaxed and a model of how the arm pull should start out mellow. Basically you have issues with power generation, timing and aiming.

If you can practice with a punching bag try backhanding it as fast as you can from the reach back. Compare that to a mellow start and lightning fast end of the backhand. Check out the timing and power generation optimum for you currently. Also listen for the sound difference to double check the physical sensation of the hand to bag contact. Not a bag of a person please :-) No disc in hand for this one to exaggerate speed and the feel of hand hitting the punching bag. Once you get what it feels like to punch your arm forward (elbow chop towards the target) take a video of yourself and it should be immediately obvious how you're really not generating power.

Most physical motions take 3 months to teach to nervous system quickly. Thereafter the learning is slower and you'll begin to gain also via more muscle power. But you are more muscular than I am already. The difference between you and longer throwing people is speed in the arm at the end. And finer points of snapping. Like getting power from a far more powerful leg push which also allows a slightly longer final step. For your current power usage (you can generate much more immediately) the final step is fine in length. You also need to twist with your hips explosively fast to the right.

To stop you from throwing high leaning more forward at the waist and not allowing your arm to drop lower at the reach back than it's at the release helps a million. Most develop serious worm burner issues for a while before they can compensate with the aiming. to get a fast tracked improvement here I suggest not turning away from the target so much that you'll break the contact.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby readysetstab » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:07 am

your dad cracked me up.

- your arm comes through before your body. needs to be the other way around. your body isn't adding anything to your throw at all.
- you leaned back while throwing a few times. definitely work on getting your weight forward. you got your weight forward a couple times but i don't know if it was an accident or what. those throws looked a little better.
- looks like you may be just getting used to an x-step/runup. you seem a bit uncomfortable with it. when your steps are smoother, it will help your timing and you'll add some distance.
- and you seem a bit lacking in the effort department. you may just be guiding your discs a little too much. i think you can generate more arm speed than that. when you're practicing, think about making your arm a little quicker each time. don't think about accuracy at all. just work on speed (acceleration). after that you can fix the accuracy. when you gain distance you have to relearn your discs anyway, so it really doesn't matter. if you're looking for distance then just work on that. once you get it you can work on accuracy again with your new throw.

overall, your throw looks decent. some things are just a LITTLE off. when you're able to adjust you'll be fine.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:32 am

Try to have someone film you that isn't making you laugh during your throw. :lol:
Keep in mind that I'm not one of the experts on the site but your first few throws looked like good form only slowed down. I have found for speed it helps to concentrate on accelerating at the end, start off even slower so you are always accelerating. What has really helped me for nose angle/ height issues is using masterbeato's left foot kick at the end.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby keltik » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:03 pm

cool....thanks guys....much appreciated
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby masterbeato » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:22 pm

you have someone that can work you, haha

make you spazz on the course.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby keltik » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:50 pm

actually i spaz out pretty easily regardless of where i am

@ readsetstab: your comment about my effort level echoes my entire life.....every teacher, every coach, every boss and every girlfriend say i don't put any effort into things.....and say i could own the world if i just put effort into it.....i always thought i didn't put effort into it/her because i wasn't that excited/enthused about school/work/her/whatever.....but this is disc golf and i'm video taping myself and putting on the intertubes.......i've woken myself up making a throwing motion.....i'm excited and enthused about this sport....i guess i'm just completely incapable of putting forth any effort.....shit
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby readysetstab » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:10 pm

heh... don't get too down on yourself just yet. it may just be because of your body positioning. like i said, looks like you're uncomfortable. it may be be slowing your turn/acceleration. it's hard to tell. all i can see is that you're not accelerating as much as you should be. i'm a bigger guy than you and i can generate a lot more arm speed. it's important to think about the beginning of your pull as more of a momentum builder. the end of the throw (the hit) is where the most energy should go. you probably just haven't gotten a feel for the different parts of your throw. it's very difficult to break down when your pull lasts all of about half a second. you've got to be able think about your throw in sections so that you can pick it apart in your head.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Beetard » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Try to play some rounds with a guy who knows how to hit it. Seeing somebody throw really far will help you throw farther. You can probably find somebody whose form you really like. Somebody where their throw makes sense to you; you watch them and you're like, yeah, thats how it's done.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Kel, you're in the carolinas? If you ever come up to Rock Hill, let me know. I'm no dan beato, but my best are out there around 375. I can't really add anything to what RSstab said, but if you want to play sometime pm me.
Wizard, Skeeter, T Bird, Valk, Pred
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fugazi - 13 Songs

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Yeah it really looks like you're not getting any of your body into it. I see your reach back, and then I see you trying to throw the disc with just your arms. You could really learn to incorporate your step into the launch instead of having such a stance that's very statuesque.

I second playing with someone who can throw well. I learned a lot of what I learned from locals .... before when this site was just coming out and didn't have nearly as much input from ppl on the interwebs.
I didn't like Rocs till I saw someone throw them the way they were supposed to be thrown. After seeing that, I was motivated to find the right Roc for me and to make it go STRAIGHT for 260 feet just like I saw this one guy do in my group.

Aftering watching the vids a 2nd time, I noticed that your left arm is very just "there". It's not incorporated into your throw. Almost like it's in the way. Learn to twist it to work with your reachback and followthru instead of having it fight against you.
If you can get that left arm to work in conjunction with your throw, you'll find that you'll probably be following thru better. Which will help with getting that BAM at the end of your launch. Also, if you get that left arm twisting with your body and following thru PAST the point of release... You'll harness some of that extra power into the disc. You've got just a hair of spin after your release, but try to keep that momentum going.

And finally, if you feel that the discs are going nose up and just divebombing, move your thumb closer to the edge of the rim. Once you get that fixed, you'll see the disc start taking a different line. And you'll have to learn to control that.
BUt take it one step at a time
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby black udder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:59 pm

you're throwing with your arm. Also not getting any snap on the disc.

You need to look at MB's video and look at the part where he talks about keeping the disc in close through the throw.

You need to start your throw by rotating your hips, then your torso, then pull your arm. It takes some getting used to, but I've written elsewhere how much power and momentum you can generate just by doing that.

You're also throwing nose up a lot, which just kills distance.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby keltik » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:42 pm

all arm
uncomfortable
nose up
no rotation
left arm in the way
good notes there guys

and most of you are right i'm just now working on a runup/xstep

i do like the idea of that kick step.....i'll work on that

here's something you might find funny.....i throw the same distance without the little steps

thanks again.....
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:50 pm

if you throw the same distance without the steps, then it's a sign you should take them out for now. You're just introducing more motion and more chances for accuracy mistakes as well as throwing inconsistencies.

You should be able to throw from a stand still position around 300'. That will force you to rotate your body and get some snap on the disc. People have thrown 400' from a stand still throw, but I wouldn't expect that. I can do 300', so I know you can (I can't throw 450' either).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Return to Video Critique