New vid after working on right pec drill

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New vid after working on right pec drill

Postby black udder » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:22 pm

I meant to say (and don't think I did) that Aaron seems to be throwing almost everything flat. I think your distance is a tad misleading because you're throwing some really heavy and pretty overstable discs dead flat and they're going over 400'. I suspect that if you got something a tad lighter and used some hyzer, you'd add some more distance just from glide. Dunno for sure though.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Banzai » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:53 pm

I should have noticed this before. From the Dave D. bent elbow article:

"the path of the disc from pull back to release does not need to be in a straight line. The path that the disc takes from the end of the reach back to the point of separation does not affect the line of flight except at the point the flight begins. This means that it doesn't matter what arc or path the disc takes before the hit (snap). The path the disc takes after launch is determined at the hit, not before. For accuracy, it doesn't matter if you start with your arm straight or bent; it only matters where the hit makes it go."
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby black udder » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 pm

man, could've used that post a couple pages ago :P
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:29 am

banzai7 wrote:I should have noticed this before. From the Dave D. bent elbow article:

"the path of the disc from pull back to release does not need to be in a straight line. The path that the disc takes from the end of the reach back to the point of separation does not affect the line of flight except at the point the flight begins. This means that it doesn't matter what arc or path the disc takes before the hit (snap). The path the disc takes after launch is determined at the hit, not before. For accuracy, it doesn't matter if you start with your arm straight or bent; it only matters where the hit makes it go."

Well... there you go.

Although even this description is incomplete.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Banzai » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:58 am

I try to read that article like once every couple of weeks. Lots of hidden gems in there.

Black Udder, those screen caps of Aaron D and the pros were awesomely helpful. This is the kind of thing high speed video and super slow-mo can show you that you can't get at full speed. It's body positioning stuff, and release point, etc -- it's a good way to diagnose.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 am

honestly, Aaron's not hitting it all that far away from where the pros are. while he's 6" short of their impact position, he's still like 10" farther out than most people. this explains his 50'+ of distance over the average thrower.

true diagnosis = why is that happening? that's found during the rest of the throw. hip action, timing, etc. that aid or prevent correct positions at the right times.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Blake just shut everything down...

Kind of like when you are doing your girl and she says "that's not it..."
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby black udder » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm

I don't know... I think Aaron's really close, too. Blake's always said that when you get to the distance Aaron's throwing, it's really mostly a matter of timing and physical attributes that get you further.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby black udder » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:48 am

Here's a shot of barry on that same drive analysis video. Now, while it is Barry and his form is a little different, you can see that one this he does similar is get that late release. Check out the arm and chest location. This is an 800' hole, so I would assume that he's going for max air flight on this throw (vs control or roller, etc.).

black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Steady 26542 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 am

Is it me or does it look like Barry isn't using any lower body at all? It is hard to tell if his leg is behind him or bent up. But it sure looks like he is using only his upper body.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Rickg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:01 pm

I kinda thought that too. It also looks like his hips and shoulders are squared up, I thought his hips should still be leading his shoulders. I dunno.

Rick
Rickg
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Barry's form is a little different than other folks. Only thing to get from this picture is the late hit. As you can see, he is almost squared up, weight forward with arm out in front of him. He's not hitting it out to the side and his arm isn't fully extended yet.

For many of us, at this point in the throw, we'd be finishing with an extended arm and the disc would be gone :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Parks » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Blake just shut everything down...

When he does that, I always think "oh snap, you just got Blake't!"

If Aaron ever did it, it would be "you just got Aaron'd!"
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:01 am

Parks wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:Blake just shut everything down...

When he does that, I always think "oh snap, you just got Blake't!"

If Aaron ever did it, it would be "you just got Aaron'd!"

Actually Blake was talking of what one needs to do to achieve a pure form. That is different from describing body positions and movement paths and more importantly describing them so that everyone could easily understand them. And for that we could improve the terminology and make it uniform to avoid mixing people up.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rehder » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 am

Steady 26542 wrote:Is it me or does it look like Barry isn't using any lower body at all? It is hard to tell if his leg is behind him or bent up. But it sure looks like he is using only his upper body.

Oh he does, his rear leg is lifted, because he pushes off with it to initiate his hip rotation
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique