look at that ferret dance

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

look at that ferret dance

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:29 pm

So my wife got a little video camera for Christmas, and I figured it was a perfect excuse to get some viddy vids of my form.
It was a little chilly today, so it took a while to get warm. After a couple putts, these were my first 10 drives, all caught on tape. Slight left to right headwind, about 8mph.

Drives set 1.
Most of these drives were a little turned over, around 325-335. The pink Leopard was a dive bomb straight in to the ground about 125ft away...

Drives set 2.
These were a little better, more hyzer flips, no turnovers. 330+ The Destroyer was about 350, and the Tsunami was 365 dead straight.

Comments and advice are welcomed and appreciated. :D
Also, who knows how to embed the video in the post? All I kept getting was the block of code, no video...
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Re: look at that ferret dance

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:01 am

Leopards eh?

What's the distance to hole 1 A pin?

I'd offer real advice but I suck at doing that. :D
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:12 am

Yeah, this dude I played with a while back was making some sickness happen with Leopards so I figured I'd throw 'em back in the bag for a minute and see what's up... :wink:

1A is 480ft. This upshot is about the center of where all those drives where landing.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:34 am

Wow, pretty darn solid.

Pretty good timing overall.
Good plant step (a little long but strong)
Full shoulder turn into the pull back
Good elbow lead
Decent chop/lag into the chop
Decent wrist extension

You could improve your elbow lead even more and get the disc a little closer to your chest. This would also help to sync your body opening and you pull, and should help centralize your balance point over your front foot so you do not finish off to the left as much.

My explanation for Aaron should apply to you:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10323&p=139616#p139616

Basically, all the parts are there. If you want to go deeper, more focus on the lag/explosion at the hit is needed.

I would not mess with much.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:41 am

I knew Bradley would hook it up with the real knowledge.

I can't argue with the leopards. Great feeling in the hand and good for many shots, I'm always back and forth between leos and TL's.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:17 am

If you can work on elbow lead/close pull for say, three moths, you could then focus on wrist extension practice.

Wrist extension is wicked, although a very advanced concept to learn. I barely understand it myself, I am very curious to discuss this subject with Blake.

That is why it should be the LAST thing you should work on, after everything else is 95% perfect.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Cool. After looking at Aaron's clips and your advice, I can see that my elbow isn't leading as much as it could.
Thanks for the advice.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:37 pm

just seeing this.

If you stop the video at the moment just at the hit, you'll see that your arm extended and in front of your left side. To me, that means you're getting your chest around a little early and you're probably getting an early release and not maximum snap.

Also, when you do your approach/x-step, you are leaning backwards. You want your weight on your back leg, but you don't want to lean that way. You lose momentum then because at the moment of your max reachback, you are stopping. If you keep your body vertical and just plant on the back leg you keep the momentum going forwards.

What you need to do is try and keep the disc in your hand when your chest is coming around. If you look at this drive analysis video, you'll see all these guys (you can freeze the 20% shots pretty well) have the disc in their hand, barry with his elbow bent still) as their chest is coming around. What this means is that their arm (from the elbow down) is the last motion before the wrist opening. That's the last of the whip.

I'd say that right now, you're also not getting the most from your lower body/hips. Probably some good wrist snap and arm muscling the disc out there. I'd guess that you are pulling from your reach back and not waiting until your elbow is bent and your torso piviting to actually pull.

Here's the link to the analysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb7hqpMj ... re=related
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 pm

you and DGdave, separated at birth?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby dgdave » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Just a butha from anotha mutha
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:40 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:you and DGdave, separated at birth?

dgdave wrote:Just a butha from anotha mutha

Big is the new skinny. Believe it.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:56 am

black udder wrote:If you stop the video at the moment just at the hit, you'll see that your arm extended and in front of your left side. To me, that means you're getting your chest around a little early and you're probably getting an early release and not maximum snap.
Hmmm. I feel like I'm getting good snap, but I can see a definite difference between my drive and theirs. My arm is extended before theirs, but to be honest, I've never really tried to throw bent arm. Early release depends on what you consider early I guess.

black udder wrote:Also, when you do your approach/x-step, you are leaning backwards.
This has always been a problem for me. I feel like I'm gonna land on my face if I lean forward too much.

black udder wrote:What you need to do is try and keep the disc in your hand when your chest is coming around.
Agreed. I've never focused on where I release the disc. I know when it's extremely early/late, but I've never conscientiously worked on point of release.

black udder wrote:I'd say that right now, you're also not getting the most from your lower body/hips. Probably some good wrist snap and arm muscling the disc out there. I'd guess that you are pulling from your reach back and not waiting until your elbow is bent and your torso piviting to actually pull.
Agreed again. I know that I do start my pull from the reach back. So you're saying wait until I'm already pivoting until I actually start to pull?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 am

When I'm talking about an early release I'm talking about as you extend your arm, it's not out in front of you, thus it's coming out earlier than your potential.

As for when to pull, yeah, pivot your lower body first. When you do that, if you keep the disc close to you, your arm will have to bend to keep the disc in close. We've been discussing this in Aaron's right pec thread. It's sort of like you face away and start to rotate, as you rotate, your arm will get pulled by your body twisting, as that happens, you just sort of guide your arm (and disc) into your chest area, then when you rotate your torso, you're like the skater pulling everything in to twist, as your chest starts coming around to the target, you extend your arm (pull) and take advantage of the momentum you've built from your lower body and the rotational force you've started. The dsic should get ripped from your hand pretty quickly and hopefully you've timed it to be in front of your chest instead of to either side. That's what I believe yields a maximum throw. If it's a less powerful throw, then perhaps you don't pivot the upper body (up shot) or perhaps you rotate slower or don't pull as hard.

As for the backward leaning, it's not a big adjustment to learn how to just move with your weight centered instead of that big lean back. You want to see the difference, try throwing stand still or one step vs your x-step and see if there's much difference. I'd be suprised if there is a lot. Just remember that you're not trying to knock something over (back to front), you're building momentum for a spin in place and you can't spin in place if you're leaning backwards.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Return to Video Critique