3 of my drives: change over time

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

3 of my drives: change over time

Postby CJ1998 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:44 pm

I have three examples of my drive taken at 8 month intervals. I started playing in June of 07. The fist clip is from August. The second clip is from April of this year and I received some good feedback on it. The last one was just taken yesterday. It was a Champion Leopard which went about 320. I think I've made some pretty big strides this year, but I still don't think I get my weight forward enough.

Then and now.

Feedback is always appreciated. Fire away!!

The latest drive is at about 40 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CvdURxhKw#t=0m40s
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: 3 of my drives: change over time

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:36 pm

This is an amazing transition.

More elbow lead (I sound like a broken record).
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby C. B. » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:45 am

That was cool to watch. Thanks for posting that.
I'm in no position to critique anyone elses throw, but each one looks progressively better.
C. B.
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby JR » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:26 am

Agreed on the need for more weight forward and elbow extension. Also try a 2-4" lower stance by bending the knees more. The muscle stiffness in the right leg in the plant should be loose to allow your stance to drop while pushing with the left leg to turn towards the target. Only after your stance is low and you're about to hit you should start tightening the muscles in the right leg to about maximum stiffness. This stiffening should coincide with retarding motion speeds so that the disc can pivot between the index finger and thumb.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Craig Smolin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:57 am

the transition from a huge runup that didn't transfer any power to the disc

to

a short, very compact runup, with great hip and shoulder turn. this "walkup" starts slow and has great acceleraton at the hit. your transferring a lot of power to the disc at the point of release.

I've actually modified my "walkup" such that it is actually pretty similar to this. Accuracy is greatly improved, without sacrificing too much distance, because you're getting solid hip-shoulder turn and good snap.

damn, I should prolly rewatch it again and learn something.

edit: the only thing that seems to be missing is a real "hard push" with your plant leg. you might get a bit more distance working on that.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique