Issues with early and late releases...

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Issues with early and late releases...

Postby edrift101 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:09 pm

I've been working on my form over the last month or two and things are coming together, but I'm still having issues with early and late releases. Also, a lot of my shots are heading out nice and low, but rising later and falling off. Nose up issue?

Here's a video I made this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZfYxM_T5qI

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Re: Issues with early and late releases...

Postby edrift101 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Ok, after watching this a couple times - I'm not getting my weight shifted forward, like Dan Beato recommends. That should fix the rising and stalling issue.

Still not sure how to fix the early/late release issue - is this just a matter of muscle memory? Should I be opening my hand to release the disc or letting it rip out on it's own? Anyone care to let a noob in on the secret?
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:43 pm

Let it rip out on it's own. It's not hard. I recall from somewhere that somebody said that as you get into the longer distances, then what you work on is your grip strength.

The early/late thing might be form, but I'd be willing to be it's just timing. Something you need to work on until you get better.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Craig Smolin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:10 pm

it sort of looks like you're "cupping" the disc in your arm. you're not reaching back at all, and it looks like you're not using your wrist either. basically it looks like you're throwing a regular frisbee. there's no "spring action" in your wrist. getting your weight over your front foot, or at least centered will help to an extent. definitely watch the video of the guy who posted recently with his throw progression. the last set shows a lot of the things you're missing.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby CJ1998 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:09 pm

You're just standing still. Not sure if you're doing that on purpose, I see the snow and I can understand the footing issues.

Are you working from the hit backwards? If not, check this vid out.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby edrift101 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:03 am

CJ1998 wrote:You're just standing still. Not sure if you're doing that on purpose, I see the snow and I can understand the footing issues.

Are you working from the hit backwards? If not, check this vid out.

Yep, I'm breaking it all back down and starting from square one - trying to fix some form issues before next season. :)
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 am

I think you're first post was right on. Try kicking that left foot up a little (like dan does). All the weight should be on your pivot foot when the disc is coming across your chest.

Speaking of pivot, with as much power as you're putting on your throw that front foot should be pivoting around a little more. If your front foot is at 90 degrees to the baskets you could hurt you knees by twisting all your weight over it without a pivot.

Maybe instead of the x-step you could start with your feet close together, reach back, step out, pull the disc to your chest, when you start "the hit" kick that left foot like you would to get more speed on a skateboard (down and back), then complete the throw. That little one step might add 50 feet.

I usually don't use an x-step either (unless I really need to crush it). A quick one step drive makes a lot of sense, half the guys at my course do what I call "the x walk" and get nothing out of those steps.

Respect goes out to you snow golfers. Nobody can say you're not all about it.
Wizard, Skeeter, T Bird, Valk, Pred
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fugazi - 13 Songs

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:59 am

:D Really good job on the art. :D

The watercolor piece is the best in my opinion. I know how hard watercolors are, and you're painting looks about 75 times better than anything I've ever done with watercolors. Good job dude.
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Postby edrift101 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:32 am

SkeeterBuzzzonaut wrote::D Really good job on the art. :D

The watercolor piece is the best in my opinion. I know how hard watercolors are, and you're painting looks about 75 times better than anything I've ever done with watercolors. Good job dude.

Thanks! Here's a link to my illustration gallery, if you're interested. :) http://joeveenpresents.com/?page_id=45
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Postby edrift101 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:39 am

SkeeterBuzzzonaut wrote:Speaking of pivot, with as much power as you're putting on your throw that front foot should be pivoting around a little more. If your front foot is at 90 degrees to the baskets you could hurt you knees by twisting all your weight over it without a pivot.

Right now, I'm pointing my plant foot to the left of my target (15-20 degrees). Should I be pointing that foot directly at the basket?
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:58 am

In addition to what has been said before. Check your knee angles in the first throw and switch the bending angles of the knees for weight shift forward and keeping the flights down. You're muscling the throws with your arm. Meaning you start to pull hard about when the disc is at your side when the hard part should start about a discs width later. I'd also try to stay longer with the chest pointing 90 degrees left of the target until your upper arm is about as far as it'll go towards the target. Beware that overdoing getting the elbow forward in cold weather will very likely hurt you even seriously so if you get pain don't continue to throw. You've already pushed too far. So while learning proper safe elbow forward distance I can't recommend highly enough keeping the power down.

Before everything else for level throws try planting your right leg about 8" to the left of where you're now and for hyzers at least 10" preferably 12" or more to the left of current placement. This is fundamental and if you learn compensating methods you'll need to unlearn them before learning a pure form. Wish I had known that earlier. also bending down more and not locking the right knee straight is one fundamental that must be right before continuing. As a practice exaggerating is often beneficial. Try emulating forward thrusts and backward evasions of fencers in fencing position. Thereafter proper stance (higher for DG) is easy.

Your muscling with the arm pull happens with way too much muscle tension way too early in the throw. That locks your wrist straight and you lose distance and more importantly spin on the disc. The earlier you start to get wrist action down the higher the likelyhood of getting over 400'. Also letting the wrist move adds spin which makes flipping over unintentionally that much harder. Really helps in the wind and with understable discs.

If you let your forearm muscles be loosish in the start of the arm pull, begin the hard arm acceleration later and start with a moderately tight grip tension tightening it near the hit the disc shouldn't slip out early and it'll rip automatically out of your hand. The fewer things to think of the better :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 pm

This piece is wonderful. I mean that with all honesty. I know there's more complex pieces on your page, and it's obvious that you're very talented. But, this piece is so simple that there's nothing to distract the viewer from the artists emotions. It's almost minimalistic, it's certainly fantastic.

Very very very good job. I'm really impressed with your work, and believe me I wouldn't just say that. I know how hard it is to "get the art out" so to say. Very very good.
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Postby malinkie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:37 pm

i want to see that painted on a disc. It would definately be a beautiful work of art :)
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby edrift101 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:13 am

malinkie wrote:i want to see that painted on a disc. It would definately be a beautiful work of art :)

Actually, that style wouldn't be so bad. It's basically just some line work and with a color fill. ;)

However, I'd rather see something like my latest piece on a disc instead. Check this out:

edrift101
Tree Magnet

Postby edrift101 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:48 am

JR wrote:Before everything else for level throws try planting your right leg about 8" to the left of where you're now and for hyzers at least 10" preferably 12" or more to the left of current placement. This is fundamental and if you learn compensating methods you'll need to unlearn them before learning a pure form. Wish I had known that earlier. also bending down more and not locking the right knee straight is one fundamental that must be right before continuing. As a practice exaggerating is often beneficial. Try emulating forward thrusts and backward evasions of fencers in fencing position. Thereafter proper stance (higher for DG) is easy.

Moving my leg plant is forcing me to pivot more and helping me shift my weight better. GREAT TIP! :D
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Video Critique