RustyP's Drive...critique away!

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

RustyP's Drive...critique away!

Postby RustyP » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:02 am

Finally got some video of my drive last night (thanks to Jones) - each is with a 172-175g Champ Orc. I didn't measure the distance on any of them, but I'd guess they were all around 360-380'. I've been using a 4-finger power grip for some time now, but just switched to a kinda 4-finger modified stack/fork grip last week...my pinky and index finger are the only ones touching the inside of the rim, and the ring and middle fingers are stacked next to the pinky, touching the bottom of the flight plate. From what I've read, I think this grip will give me a little more flexibility in the wrist, which I'm hoping will help develop better wrist extension. Here's a pic for clarification:

We recorded from 3 angles...left side, right side, and back side. The one taken from the right side felt the best out of all them, and the one from the rear was the weakest and had the most nose-up from what I can tell.

Left Side
Right Side
Back Side

Here's what I found so far that needs work:

Blake already pointed out that my plant foot is about 6" too far out...and I can finally see what he's talking about. I also noticed that my reach-back seems to be early...from everything I've read, it shouldnt begin until after my plant foot is down. I also noticed that I'm not pulling close enough to my chest. What else?

I just started doing the right-pec dril last weekend, and I've got 2 other drills that Blake and Brad Walker came up with, but I'm having trouble executing them properly (more vids to come for this stuff). All comments, critiques, tips, drills, etc are much appreciated.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: RustyP's Drive...critique away!

Postby malinkie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:12 am

I thought that the reach back began just before and would finish as you were planting. You are similar to me in planting too far forward and overcompensating by bending your back over the plant almost to a flat plain. You can shorten your plant step or change to a shuffle instead of an xstep.

Correct me if im wrong. im new to this sort of stuff :)
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:10 pm

I am not very good at this but from what I can tell I would have to agree on shortening up the plant step. Also from what I can tell the disc is coming out to early. The disc is coming out before you square up to the target. I am sure if you get this down it will add some distance. Maybe look at the thread where Bradley is talking about keeping the disc in close to the chest/then bicep/then forearm etc. I have been working on this myself.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Looks pretty decent, like you said, I think you know what you need to work on. Shorten the plant step and keep the pull closer to you.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Blink » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:20 pm

I can't nit pick at much since you almost aced like 3 times last weekend, but you miiight be able to get your hips more into it. Other than that the only thing that sticks out is your left leg kick, I'm not sure if kicking it upwards helps much, but I could be wrong.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks for all the input so far...keep it coming!

Last night I went out and tried something new with my approach steps. Even when I tried to focus *only* on the length of my final step, I still ended up stepping a good 6" too far...so I switched from a full x-step to a shuffle step (trying to use Feldberg's style as the basis). The first few times I ended up almost tripping on my own feet :lol: but after a few more tries it did help to shorten up my plant step, which in turn seemed to keep me from pulling through before the plant foot was down.

I'm gonna keep trying this for a while and see if anything good comes of it....if it sticks, I'll try to take some more vids.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby RustyP » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 am

malinkie wrote:I thought that the reach back began just before and would finish as you were planting. You are similar to me in planting too far forward and overcompensating by bending your back over the plant almost to a flat plain. You can shorten your plant step or change to a shuffle instead of an xstep.

Correct me if im wrong. im new to this sort of stuff :)

I think you're right...I was using the wrong term. What I should have said was that the pull-through (not reach-back) shouldn't begin until my plant foot is down. :D
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 am

Way too flat footed. The amount of reach back is good for honing form and approaches but real power lies in turning away to having the back against the target at the x step. Patience with the onset of the quick arm pull. Compare these throws to the feel of the right pec drill and you should notice how much later the quick arm pull starts.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:22 pm

My daught was explaining to my why you only did left side, right side, ad back side, but not front side. :lol: Pretty smart for nine huh? I was curious what disc you were throwing and how far? It looked to me, from the back side shot, that the disc went away a little nose up. The side shots looked flat so I was wondering if that was just an illusion because of the camera angle or if you normally throw high for distance?
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby PRES 10 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:33 pm

MIdiscgolfer wrote: I was curious what disc you were throwing and how far?

RustyP wrote:...172-175g Champ Orc. I didn't measure the distance on any of them, but I'd guess they were all around 360-380'.
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:03 pm

PRES 10 wrote:
MIdiscgolfer wrote: I was curious what disc you were throwing and how far?

RustyP wrote:...172-175g Champ Orc. I didn't measure the distance on any of them, but I'd guess they were all around 360-380'.

What's really funny is as I was writing that I thought "I should check to see if he said what he threw" And then I went "Naaah I'd remember if he did" :lol:
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby RustyP » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

MIdiscgolfer wrote:My daught was explaining to my why you only did left side, right side, ad back side, but not front side. :lol: Pretty smart for nine huh? I was curious what disc you were throwing and how far? It looked to me, from the back side shot, that the disc went away a little nose up. The side shots looked flat so I was wondering if that was just an illusion because of the camera angle or if you normally throw high for distance?

The one taken from the back was definitely nose up...which is one of my biggest problems.

As for throwing high for distance...that's not something I typically do, even when I try :D Blake actually pointed out to me that I tend to release really low: from between my belt and chest. My typical 360-380' drive never gets more than probably 15' off the ground. I've been working with the right pec drill a little lately, but not enough to tell any difference yet.

It's frustrating trying to rebuild my drive, but I'm going to try and stick with the drills until something new clicks. I can get by with my current form and even be competitive in the Open division (though my recent tourneys wouldn't indicate that ;) ), but I'd much rather be able to have proper form.

Thanks for all the input from everyone...and keep it coming!
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:36 pm

I have some stuff, but I am going to hold off a little, until I get the full grasp of what I want to say...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby RustyP » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:I have some stuff, but I am going to hold off a little, until I get the full grasp of what I want to say...

Don't keep me waiting too long man :wink: ...I'm looking forward to it!
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Basically, you need to start working on making your front foot pivot the source of your rotary drive. For you, your lead foot is a plant only, and you are rotating INTO it (reacting against it). In fact, your lower body is in fact stuck behind your plant foot.

If your lead foot pivots, you can rotate you lower body PAST it (and your upper body will follow).

The pivot of the foot is the root motion of the powerful rotary motion that swivels the foot, knee, hip, and eventually the shoulder.

You are using your shoulder to drive your foot (in reverse). I will call this "hitting from the top down". This is how I have been throwing too.

You should be hitting "from the pivot up". As you know, this pivot timing/throw timing link is almost impossible to explain accurately in words. You simply have to learn the pivot (which you have), and then start practicing it. You need to start to learn to use the pivot to create power ACTIVELY in the rotation not PASSIVELY. the foot pivot is not an after effect of the throw (as I and many others always thought it was) it is a dynamic part of the violent and instantaneous change in direction.

Note: I NEVER understood this before. So, I guess I was simply wrong, but I have little guilt, because as Blake and I realized I have never been taught this kind of motion in any sport in which I excelled.

Next, you need to find your vertical axis and rotate on it. You head is your axis (for the most part). Your head should really be vertical almost swivel in place for a flat shot. Your head is swinging nearly a foot to the left of your axis. This is in attempt to get weight forward, without really getting through it to "true" weight forward (where your weight is truly shifting past your plant). This is slowing you down. Note the lazy back leg swing over shows that you are not centered. If you were centered you could drive your left knee, hip and shoulder THROUGH and down the line which would result in a more down the line step through.

Your pull is being shortened by two feet, at least. That two feet=100 feet. No lie. I believe it.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Video Critique