Prime the Disc

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Prime the Disc

Postby ericlagstein » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Edited to add: Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum.

Hi Gang,

I have heard a couple times that a good idea is to "prime the disc". While changing my technique based around the Masterbeato videos, I actually started to do some type of prime the disc (i believe incorrectly, or not helpful). I was reading a thread written by Bradley Walker (see it below), but I don't quite know hot to interpret it.

I know it's a stupid question, but I'm not quite clear on what he means by "Cock forward (at the x step) and place the disc where you are going to hit, and get your elbow extended out in front (I mean extended".

Is he saying get the elbow forward and have the arm at a 90 degree angle to the target?
Does anyone have a picture of this postion?

Bradley's post is below
Blake is awesome. I am a truly humble student of the Obi Wan Blakobi that is all.

I will make one more recommendation.

Take the winter and learn to start your swing at the hit position.

Look at nearly ALL of the best players. Not all but most. Shultz, Doss, Feldberg, Jenkins, etc. There are lots more. They run up and place the disc in the hit position at 10 oclock and THEN SWING BACK FROM THERE. Then they swing back and hit it at that spot.

I believe your "arm back" run up promotes your poor elbow and hit position.

1. Start with the disc out in front of your chest
2. Cock forward (at the x step) and place the disc where you are going to hit, and get your elbow extended out in front (I mean extended----look at Garret Guthrie)
3. COCK BACK from there (wind up using trunk and shoulder muscles)
4. Rebound forward (glide forward with momentum)
5. Go right back through that position and hit the SHIT OUT OF IT!!!! (pull hard through using muscle-you already know how to do this better than anyone I know)

This is something I am learning myself, and it is a very powerful tool from "pre programming" the perfect hit position. It makes total sense, really.

You do not swing a golf club like Happy Gilmore and run up swinging back, you start from the ball. Swing back then forward to the same spot.

This is more than a positional thing. It is timing thing too. It is real confidence builder. However, it will screw with your form and timing until you get used to it. You will be all over the place. Trust me. I have been really having trouble because I am used to using my off arm a lot late in the throw. I realize now how bad this is screwing my potential. I "place" I do not "swing".

Take few months and learn it.
ericlagstein
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Re: Prime the Disc

Postby black udder » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:12 pm

check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBFLHjDA ... annel_page

It's golf technique, but it's applicable and might help you understand the whole "hit" concept.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby ericlagstein » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:26 pm

The link isn't working? Would you mind posting again?

Thanks

Eric
ericlagstein
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby gretagun » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBFLHjDA7rw&feature=channel_page

I belive this is the video BU linked to. Even if it's not, it is still a useful video and the same principles apply to disc golf. Definitely check it out.
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Return to Video Critique