Showing some improvement from 18 months ago

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Showing some improvement from 18 months ago

Postby Bruce » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 am

Ok, so I've spent some time on the right pec drill, and I definitely feel like I've made some progress:

During this session I was throwing slightly uphill on pretty muddy ground, so I wasn't going at them full whack.
I still think I can delay the hit a bit more, but there was definitely a better feel to the throws

3 drives, with slow repeats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02l7Y0lhGg&e
1st drive - Teebird, early in the session, not a great throw ~ 330'
2nd & 3rd drives - Wraith, good throws ~370'

For reference, here's me circa June 2007 when I first asked for advice on here:
http://www.sandblaggers.com/Video/BruceDrive1.wmv
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Re: Showing some improvement from 18 months ago

Postby Star Shark » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Yes, big improvement but I must say that in the new throws your weight is still a bit back and you're getting the nose up. In fact you were more over the disc in the old clip. Push off more with your left foot. It will help with that immensely.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Bruce » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks for the comment, I was starting to think my form was now perfect! :lol:

That was pretty much what I was thinking was still there to work on, I think my timing is much better, and I've got my left arm under control, now I need to get a bit more drive into the x-step.
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby JR » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 am

So little time now but from a quick glimpse one thing stood out. It's the old anhyzer steps with hyzer hips and up from there primed for a hyzer.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:52 am

Looks like some improvement!

Last step isn't so far apart now, so you're getting over the plant leg more. Still not starting with lower body rotation - you're pulling the disc from the back all the way through. You are accelerating though. Looks like you have some problems with kicking the back leg over - do it sometimes not others. can see real improvement about keeping the disc close into the chest vs last year :)

I agree about the nose up. Considering how nose up those shots looked, I dunno how they got to 370', but I'm super bad at judging that stuff anyway. You get the nose down and they should be at 400' for sure if your measurements are right.

Also looks like there was less effort involved in these throws than last year. Should translate to having more energy in the later holes/rounds.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:19 am

So little time now but from a quick glimpse one thing stood out. It's the old anhyzer steps with hyzer hips and up from there primed for a hyzer.

correct, but seems like he did a decent job of avoiding hip jam on throws 2 and 3.

upper body is coming a bit early. your upper body positions are solid but the timing on them is a bit f'd, which is why you aren't able to hit it with wrist extension even though rotationally you are at the spots you should be when you should be. so basically to make it really confusing, your upper body position timing is great, but your upper vs. lower body timing isn't there.

seems like you are a bit hesitant to dig in and really drill it at the hit... still trying to put my finger on it... but seems like your arm/elbow are where they should be for most of the throw but then it seems like you wuss the hit a little bit. i'd recommend focusing more on putting power DOWN THE LINE as it appears your arm loses its focus and just flops off to the right.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Video Critique