How much you wanna bet I could throw it over them mountains?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How much you wanna bet I could throw it over them mountains?

Postby Blink » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:51 pm

Eventually I'm hoping to have some decent videos up, but last time I went out with a friend to video some drives we didn't get many good clips due to shaky video or trying to zoom in. So this is all I got for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAT6HHOn ... re=related
This one I posted before about a year ago, so I'll relist it for reference I suppose. I'm rolling a seasoned DX Eagle over 400 feet, and I actually ended up getting the birdie. Its a hole that's very hard to get to in one shot (14 long veterans park) so this is a good example of a roller for me, though its a year old and I've changed some things since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWl4IZveTg
This one was from around the time I started working on my snap, just before I started playing tourneys. So I probably threw 20 or 30 feet shorter than now. That's a roadrunner scampering around during it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2imJM5lLz0
My friend took this one for me last week on another hole that's unreachable for most, so I'm throwing pretty hard I guess. Obviously this is after I did a lot of work on snap, so occasionally my hard drives will finish with a resounding snap I didn't think would be as loud as it is in the video.

I figure I'm mostly doing things too fast/rushed, as my normal focus during practice is to not throw as hard, and be as smooth as I can. But let me know what you think! I'll try to get some decent videos up in the next week or two.

I'm somewhere between 450 and 500 in terms of max D (any line[flat hyzer, S curve, anhyzer], but not consistently), maybe up towards 600 with some perfectly angled sky rollers. I'm also kind of curious as to whether I'm snap or speed dominant.
Last edited by Blink on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Re: How much you wanna bet I could throw it over them mountains?

Postby JR » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 am

Anny running hyzer hips and arm swing. You begin with more hyzer than you end up with and if I saw correctly your follow through is some degrees lower than the hyzer angle at the hit mandates>some OAT. If I saw correctly from the normal view(dunno why HD won't work for me) your arm pull started slowly for the first 8-10" and then you pulled hard. So despite ok follow through range I'd say you are still more speed than snap dominant. You do have fast arm swing so when you get the most out of that you should be breaking 400' at will. Provided you can get everything working for a max power drive. This video was more of an approach/fairway driver thing. For more generated power (not necessarily moved to the disc for a longer throw) you could turn your back to the target and if your flexibility allows maybe a few degrees more shoulder turn away from the target at the reach back. It's difficult to maintain late acceleration with so much turning away from the target so maybe you're better off for now with current form and trying to move the late acceleration of the arm to a much later time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby readysetstab » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:53 am

hard to tell from that angle whether or not you're getting a lot of snap. you have a fair amount of arm speed, that's for sure.

pretty solid for the most part. your plant step is a little off target, so that may have caused the balance problem. if you can control your follow through a little better you'd have something really solid there. i can imagine that you look a lot smoother when you're not throwing so far.

i can't tell how tight you're keeping the disc to your body, but it looks fairly close. i'm not even sure if you could keep it closer with that kind of arm speed.

you could probably utilize your hips a bit more. you're already pulling when you put down your plant. if you can start the pull just a split second later the hips would really play a big part in your throw and you might get even more D.

more than anything, if your balance is an issue on longer throws then you probably shouldn't do it in competition. stick to your safe distances. keep in mind that most pros don't throw over 500' in tournaments (including avery and the other big guns). only the distances that they can throw on a rope or with minimal left and right movement. accuracy is what matters when you're counting strokes.

by all means work on the distance, but keep it in the field until you have more control over it.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blink » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:17 am

Thanks a lot for the info even with the not so good video. I noticed on another computer the HD didn't work well, on mine it does for some reason, I need to find a decent video converter I guess. My form may have looked awkward, since its pretty short for 15 feet uphill. Along with the trees I go over, I end up angling the disc pretty high. The video with multiple throws was uphill as well, not a lot of flat/open holes at my home course but I guess those would be best.

A lot of good points, and I'll see if I can fix it up in future videos. My long game is actually better than my short game so I need to video some of my short standing throws, probably the worst part of my game.

Took some more video but it was pretty windy, might try and get a different video converter/editor before I post another.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Boy, if only I could get some freeze frames of the first throw with the roadrunner hanging around (2nd video I think). You can see how tight you have the disc in and how long you keep it in. You're getting that distance from snap and speed, but you're not using your lower body and hips. Of course, with the distance you're getting, I don't know that you need to go for more, but that would be the place to start.

Then it would be a matter of getting your timing down again.

There is a point in your throw where you are rotating and you still have the disc tucked against your arm as you are coming around to face the front. Shows just how long you need to keep that disc in and where you get your distance :) Good job. Looks like pretty strong finish and good pivot as well, albeit, a tad off balance because you're focusing on a hard, fast pull instead of a smooth rotation. If you get your hips into it, then you'll get more speed up to the throw, but not as much momentum pulling you around since it's the focus is all tied to center axis rotation instead of pulling and object fast and hard.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:13 am

Blink has some good pop. when i was down in tx he was the guy with enough arm to throw 80' high.

mechanically, you're pretty much tailored for hyzer power only right now. as for hit %, you hit about half of your snap, which would put you in the 425-450' power range of long golf d. imo, that's "enough" pop to warrant working on things other than snap/distance. e.g. line shaping, anhyzers, etc.

might need to work on some weight/body placement things in order to open up similar power levels for flat/anhyzer.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:07 pm

There is just a touch of slip at the snap. You could use more thumb/index finger lock pressure through the snap to achieve even more late leverage.

Good snap focus. You know how to snap. That is saying something. You might be the only guy I have reviewed on this board that is not a pro that SNAPs the disc.

Good wrist extension. You could get even more with more thumb lock. See comments above.

Good athleticism with your body. I will not get too picky here. I have seen Worley throw with a full run up and these throws are pretty abbreviated.

We should get together... it is starting to warm up!!!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blink » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Definitely, I still haven't gotten another video converter so I haven't taken any better footage yet. If you play in a Sunday mini I could meet you out there, or vice versa. Either way I can play most weekends when there isn't a tournament in the DFW.

I do tend to put my thumb out towards the center of the flight plate, so I'll have to weed out that habit. Driving videos will be fun, but I'll try and get some approach/putting videos up next. Blake is right I'm typically in the 400-450 range on max golf D, and I have trouble getting my weight forward on flat and anhyzer throws.

Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Postby SkaBob » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Man it's in the 80s there today! That's just STARTING to warm up? :lol: 8)
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:02 pm

108 in the summer... so 80 is STARTING to warm up.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby masterbeato » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 am

shit it is suppose to be 50 degrees here today

i am ready to hit the beach

i would be death in 108 degrees and staying inside in the air conditioning at 80
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby SkaBob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:49 pm

We're gonna hit 50 today, too! It's 45 and there're people walking around outside without coats on!

60 tomorrow, and I have to work!
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby PRES 10 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:50 pm

SkaBob wrote:We're gonna hit 50 today, too! It's 45 and there're people walking around outside without coats on!

60 tomorrow, and I have to work!

Heck yea, 60's! I'm so frickin excited! Plus i dont have to work tmro as well, so im going to play fitzgerald and grandwoods in lansing!
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Return to Video Critique