Learning the X-Step

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Learning the X-Step

Postby healage » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Hey guys -- I've been playing for about 4 years but haven't added significant distance to my drive in about 3 years. Probably because I don't X-Step. The first video consists of three short drives. Two run-up, one standstill. The second consists of 6 drives. The first is my normal drive, the last 5 are all my attempt at the X-step.

My short game is awesome and I've won some tournaments in Advanced, but I need to improve my drive to really get to the next level. Thanks in advance for any advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGcipi09Ck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOOyUxAKYik
healage
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Firebird

Re: Learning the X-Step

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Healy-Monster!!!!

I can definitely attest to Sean's skills ... he definitely outplays me with his accuracy, short game and consistent putting.

Sean - we've played enough rounds together for me to say that I've always thought your form prevented you from accelerating through the "hit." You've played with Cuts and Stevie enough to know how they really drive their hips through the "hit." It looks like you don't really do that.

As an aside ... Sean has in turn played enough rounds with me to (I hope) acknowledge the fact that I use the X-step, get my hips and shoulders turned away from the fairway, and along with a long reach back, get solid 350-370' golf distance. I really should get a video up here ...
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby TheTyrant » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:25 pm

Craig Smolin wrote: You've played with Cuts and Stevie enough to know how they really drive their hips through the "hit." It looks like you don't really do that.

As an aside ... Sean has in turn played enough rounds with me to (I hope) acknowledge the fact that I use the X-step, get my hips and shoulders turned away from the fairway, and along with a long reach back, get solid 350-370' golf distance. I really should get a video up here ...

I hate to agree with Smolin (ever) but I agree with his assessment. Also, one of the drives where you did an x-step seemed to force your weight forward more so than with a cro-hop which can keep weight back and result in nose up. It's tough to tell how close you're bringing the disc to your chest when driving. Perhaps a video from a different angle would help.

As an aside...I've played enough rounds with smolbag to acknowledge that he does use the x-step and gets distances of 370' and beyond. Exactly what direction the disc is heading in can sometimes be a mystery...even to him :)
TheTyrant
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:33 pm

The x-step isn't bad, but you're not using your lower body. Basically, doing the same thing as your normal drive, but doing an x-step. You need to pivot the hips closed and then force them open and have that be the start of your throw, not the pulling of your arm when you throw.You're a little upright at the hit and not accelerating late. You do have a good foot pivot though.

I can't be sure, but you might have some swoop in your pull through, but it doesn't seem to be sending your discs nose up.

Only thing I can say for sure is that messing with your form will hose your skill level for awhile, so make sure you really want to do it. I don't know what kind of distance you're getting or how you think it'll make you compete better... just my 2 cents.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Tyrant ... I must say ... you've nailed me down perfectly ... you are you?
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby TheTyrant » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Craig Smolin wrote:Tyrant ... I must say ... you've nailed me down perfectly ... you are you?

Indeed I am.

Healy- is Stevie still giving lessons? You have a pretty good resource at your disposal. I'd gladly pay for a group lesson if we can make it worth his while and while he's not on tour. To keep from totally poaching your attempt at improving with this thread, I will echo what black udder said about working on accelerating later in your pull. Consider using a towel and focusing on the late acceleration while warming up. Then, take it to the field. It's helped me.
TheTyrant
Tree Magnet

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:35 pm

excuse me ... WHO are you???
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Craig Smolin wrote:excuse me ... WHO are you???

He is Leto Atreides II
God Emperor of Dune
I thought it was obvious :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby healage » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:13 pm

black udder wrote:The x-step isn't bad, but you're not using your lower body. Basically, doing the same thing as your normal drive, but doing an x-step. You need to pivot the hips closed and then force them open and have that be the start of your throw, not the pulling of your arm when you throw.You're a little upright at the hit and not accelerating late. You do have a good foot pivot though..

Thank you! I never really knew how little I used my lower body until you mentioned that -- something to work on this weekend

TheTyrant wrote:Healy- is Stevie still giving lessons? You have a pretty good resource at your disposal. I'd gladly pay for a group lesson if we can make it worth his while and while he's not on tour. To keep from totally poaching your attempt at improving with this thread, I will echo what black udder said about working on accelerating later in your pull. Consider using a towel and focusing on the late acceleration while warming up. Then, take it to the field. It's helped me.

I am planning on working with Steve soon and have in the past. He's taught me a ton about disc angle, angle of release, straight pull-back etc. Before going out with him again though I kind of wanted to do some research and see myself throw.
I have never analyzed my drive before by watching a video and its really helping to have a visualization of what I'm doing wrong. I've known to a certain extent what I was doing wrong, but seeing it is a completely different thing.
healage
Noob

Postby SkeeterBuzzzonaut » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:15 pm

MIdiscgolfer wrote:
Craig Smolin wrote:excuse me ... WHO are you???

He is Leto Atreides II
God Emperor of Dune
I thought it was obvious :lol: :lol: :lol:

nerd alert :wink:
Wizard, Skeeter, T Bird, Valk, Pred
SkeeterBuzzzonaut
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fugazi - 13 Songs

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:22 pm

ahhh ...
Last edited by Craig Smolin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby TheTyrant » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:41 pm

fear is the mind killer...
TheTyrant
Tree Magnet

Postby healage » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:27 pm

my thread has been smolined
healage
Noob

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 pm

that's what I'm here for biatch!!! :wink:

seriously, what else did you expect???

OK, ok, seriously ... work on turning your hips away from the target, and the rest should follow.
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby healage » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:05 am

Craig Smolin wrote:that's what I'm here for biatch!!! :wink:

seriously, what else did you expect???

OK, ok, seriously ... work on turning your hips away from the target, and the rest should follow.

Haha thanks man
healage
Noob

Next

Return to Video Critique