Help with my throw

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help with my throw

Postby inacmind7 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 am

I'm new here. I read these forums a lot and have read all the articles on the main site. I had my wife take a video of me throwing.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZNRNRpbKzk

Sorry about the quality. I didn't have access to a good camcorder. The first throw was a hyzer (sweep/knife hyzer) that went about 315 ish. All the other throws were on a very short hole (~215) so they were at about 60% or so power. It was the first time I have ever played on that course so I didn't really know how to play the holes so I tried to take it easy with my throws.

What I can take from the video is that I am not opening up my hips and not leading with them and because of that I am forced to throw across my body. Any drills on how to open up the hips more would be nice. Also, I am accelerating too fast at the beginning rather than doing the late accelerating.

My average golf distance is about 330-350 feet. Max distance I'm not sure about. My best throw was 450 feet. (My best roller is about 530 feet)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I love this sport and really want to get better at it.

-Andy
inacmind7
Noob

Favorite Disc: TL

Re: Help with my throw

Postby JR » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:46 pm

I suggest reading through other video critiques because so many things covered before apply to you. In addition to what you self diagnosed I think your foot should be less in contact with the ground when you're pivoting. You should try getting the elbow much closer to the target basically straight from shoulder to elbow pointed at the target before you start moving quickly with the legs pivoting and then the hips twisting. A little more leaning forward from the waist should help too. I only glimpsed quickly but I got the impression that you were doing anny steps with a mild hyzer or a flattish shot. Also try to twist hard with the hips and turn the shoulders much faster. There's a good reason why the term hip _explosion_ exists. No tender footing there. Full pell mell pedal to the metal action is the name of the game. Quickness of hips twisting not bulging muscles like a bodybuilder showing off. The latter will severely slow down your hip twisting speed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby optowesome » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:02 pm

I got to agree especially with the getting the weight forward...it almost appears that you are leaning back a little...do you have a right turn/drift when you release flat. When this happens I like to focus on stepping into my "hit" point with my right foot. (rhbh)
optowesome
Tree Magnet

Postby inacmind7 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Thank you for the responses. I have been trying to work on things. Mainly incorporating more hip into my throw. I will have to get new videos of my throw. Unfortunately, the video that I have up now I was not throwing at full power so my throw there was different than what I use regularly.

optowesome wrote:I got to agree especially with the getting the weight forward...it almost appears that you are leaning back a little...do you have a right turn/drift when you release flat. When this happens I like to focus on stepping into my "hit" point with my right foot. (rhbh)

I think I have been taking too large of a final step so my weight doesn't get completely forward. I am having a hard time shortening this step, though. I have the image of a pitcher stuck in my head where he takes a very long step when he throws. When I try to shorten the step, I feel like my timing is off and I am going to fall flat on my face. I will work on it, though, because I know I need to shorten it.

I don't really have much of a right turn/drift. I'm assuming you're kind of referring to what happens when you have nose up? Typically, my throw stays pretty flat with the nose down, but I have started noticing that I throw fairly high. Starting to seem like my average throw height is like 50 ish feet. (like in an open field; not trying for max d just line drive) I am able to get it lower to the ground when needed. I am guessing this is all due to the long step and not getting my weight forward.

JR, I have been trying to start pivoting on the ball of my foot. It feels weird and my throw doesn't go as far or as consistent. At the end of my throw, I almost have my back to the target again from spinning on the ball of my foot (with my left leg up). I have tried pivoting of my heel, and it works but it probably puts added stress to my knees/ankle and makes it harder to get weight forward.

In the video, I was doing anny steps, in a way. I was doing a straight flat throw. The basket was to the left from the target and it required a straight shot straight at it so to do it I took anny steps but threw flat. The steps were normal steps just instead of straight up the pad it was from the bottom right to top middle/left. Not sure if that makes sense, but best I could do describing it.
inacmind7
Noob

Favorite Disc: TL

Return to Video Critique