Suggestions on my throw.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Suggestions on my throw.

Postby bcsst26 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Here is two throws from today. They are both from a standstill. The video shows them in regular speed then both of them in slow motion. Also I broke down the first throw into jpegs so you can also look at them too. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Video
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3001387590101767097NUqnec?vhost=good-times

Slideshow of pictures of first throw.
http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/563103174vjchDZ

Picture at hit of first throw.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Re: Suggestions on my throw.

Postby keltik » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:40 pm

well you look a lot smoother with your motions.....you're keeping it tight on the body and really getting the lower body into it (more than me).....and you also look like you've lost some weight....that's all i got i'm no expert but you've made a lot of progress from what i can remember from your other vids....

question: how do make the slide show?.....that is tits....
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby bcsst26 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks. I am still working on it. I think I am getting closer but still not quit there. Hopefully some of the experts can chime in to help me out. As for the pictures and slide show I used virtual dub to break the video into jpegs then just got the jpegs that I wanted to share. It is a cool program but I only know the basics right now I think it has a lot of power that I don't know how to use yet. Now that I think about it, that pretty much sums up my throw.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Looks great. I dont see you getting much more out of a standstill. Looks like you are hitting near 300 with no run up. One thing that bothers me about your throw is it looks like at the last minute you are not keeping your wrist down and maybe throwing anhyzer. One thing you are doing nearly perfectly is keeping the disc tight, close to your body.

I would add a slow walk up to facilitate easier body positioning. Dont add a runup yet.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby bcsst26 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Aaron_D wrote:Looks great. I dont see you getting much more out of a standstill. Looks like you are hitting near 300 with no run up. One thing that bothers me about your throw is it looks like at the last minute you are not keeping your wrist down and maybe throwing anhyzer. One thing you are doing nearly perfectly is keeping the disc tight, close to your body.

I would add a slow walk up to facilitate easier body positioning. Dont add a runup yet.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You are right on that I am hitting 300 with my teebirds, about 250-275 with my rocs and about 225-250 with my wizards. I am not quit sure what you mean by the wrist. You think it is coming up at the last moment sending the disc on an anhyzer line or do you mean wrist roll over?? I just looked at the pics and it might be coming up some. I will try to concentrate on keeping it down. As for the slow walk up that is what I was hoping to hear. I wanted to get a good base throw down before adding a slow walk up. I know once I start to do this that old habits are hard to break so making sure my base is solid will help out.

Any other thoughts??
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:02 pm

I think you're doing quite well. Add the walk up and see if you can punch stuff out a little further :)

Congratulations, I know it's been a lot of hard work. I hope it starts paying off on the course soon.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby bcsst26 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:09 pm

black udder wrote:I think you're doing quite well. Add the walk up and see if you can punch stuff out a little further :)

Congratulations, I know it's been a lot of hard work. I hope it starts paying off on the course soon.

Thanks. It has already been paying off on the course. I am getting to be very consistent. I actually hit a cubby ace the other day. My first ace ever of any type but it has an * next to it. But if Bonds can count a few homers I can remember this one too. A wizard to about 230.

So anyone want to nit pick a little? Something to work on other than a walk up (I am planning on this)? Blake?? MB?? Bradley??
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 am

Very good! Applause! Things to improve are minor like getting more explosiveness with the twisting of the hip so that you'd be closer to facing the target as the disc leaves (and having a little more spin and a straighter flight) and eliminating the slight lowering of the arm in the follow through below the line the initial hyzer angle of the arm pull needs for a OAT free release. It's not many degrees but it is there and would help with consistency and penetrating gaps and tunnels straightening the flight. You should move to slow run ups and check with video if anything in your form changes. If there are no changes keep on adding power and videoing until you find the limits of your form vs power where the form, timing and accuracy drop. Staying at that level in field practice will in time correct your form. You're well on your way don't give up field practice now because you're on a roll. It didn't take long for you to get this far which is very nice already. There's no saying how far you could eventually get when your improvement is this fast. Sure there may be plateaus ahead but that happens to everyone. It's not something to get disappointed or frustrated about. Those usually lead to over trying which is one of the surest form killers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bcsst26 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:22 am

JR wrote:Very good! Applause! Things to improve are minor like getting more explosiveness with the twisting of the hip so that you'd be closer to facing the target as the disc leaves (and having a little more spin and a straighter flight) and eliminating the slight lowering of the arm in the follow through below the line the initial hyzer angle of the arm pull needs for a OAT free release. It's not many degrees but it is there and would help with consistency and penetrating gaps and tunnels straightening the flight. You should move to slow run ups and check with video if anything in your form changes. If there are no changes keep on adding power and videoing until you find the limits of your form vs power where the form, timing and accuracy drop. Staying at that level in field practice will in time correct your form. You're well on your way don't give up field practice now because you're on a roll. It didn't take long for you to get this far which is very nice already. There's no saying how far you could eventually get when your improvement is this fast. Sure there may be plateaus ahead but that happens to everyone. It's not something to get disappointed or frustrated about. Those usually lead to over trying which is one of the surest form killers.

Thanks. I have to say that I actually enjoy field practice so I am usually in the field at least 5 times more than on the course. My wife says I am obsessive but there is something to finding that perfect form that keeps me going. On to adding a walk up. Thanks again guys.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Beetard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:03 pm

It looks like you are trying to do all the right things. You are trying to accelerate at the hit, you're trying to hit it at full arm extension, you're leaning forward to get your weight forward, and trying to get rotation from your whole body.

Keep it up. Now that you're focused on the correct things, you'll get smoother and more efficient as you practice them. Maybe try to pick up the pace a little bit. Try to compact the things you think about before the throw, force yourself to be prepared to make a drive a couple seconds after you pick up the disc (like rapid fire putting) I think practicing that way sometimes will help you get smoother.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Banzai » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Nice!

I noticed on the slideshow that your off arm is not down and tight to your body. That might slow down body rotation on a full throw.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby curt » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:12 pm

I am by no means an expert on such things, but there is something that looks a little weird to me. It seems that you decelerate to the right pec (almost stopping) before accelerating at that point. Does anyone else see this? If so, is it good or would a slow acceleration leading to a quick one from the pec on be better? (This is most visible to me on the first throw)
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:31 am

Beetard wrote:It looks like you are trying to do all the right things. You are trying to accelerate at the hit, you're trying to hit it at full arm extension, you're leaning forward to get your weight forward, and trying to get rotation from your whole body.

Keep it up. Now that you're focused on the correct things, you'll get smoother and more efficient as you practice them. Maybe try to pick up the pace a little bit. Try to compact the things you think about before the throw, force yourself to be prepared to make a drive a couple seconds after you pick up the disc (like rapid fire putting) I think practicing that way sometimes will help you get smoother.

This is a great idea. I know I am still thinking about to much before throwing. First it is what line do I want to hit. Then pull tight weight forward etc. A little check list. I will try to rapid fire some and see what happens. I have been trying to take my time though so I think about the line etc which is something I didn't use to do at all.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:33 am

banzai7 wrote:Nice!

I noticed on the slideshow that your off arm is not down and tight to your body. That might slow down body rotation on a full throw.

I know I think about this at the beginning of the throw but probably let it get away form me when I start to think about more things. I guess one thing at a time should help this.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 am

curt wrote:I am by no means an expert on such things, but there is something that looks a little weird to me. It seems that you decelerate to the right pec (almost stopping) before accelerating at that point. Does anyone else see this? If so, is it good or would a slow acceleration leading to a quick one from the pec on be better? (This is most visible to me on the first throw)

I can't really see this myself but not to good at this either. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Video Critique