Suggestions on my throw.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Suggestions on my throw.

Postby Beetard » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:02 am

If you are doing that, it is a good thing. It would mean that you are using hit power to propel your disc, not momentum you built up early in the pull.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby JR » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:52 am

bcsst26 wrote:
curt wrote:I am by no means an expert on such things, but there is something that looks a little weird to me. It seems that you decelerate to the right pec (almost stopping) before accelerating at that point. Does anyone else see this? If so, is it good or would a slow acceleration leading to a quick one from the pec on be better? (This is most visible to me on the first throw)

I can't really see this myself but not to good at this either. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

It was visible on the second throw too. As body part positioning and timing exercise it's ok to slow down or stop at different parts of the throw but in actual throws it's gonna rob power a lot. As you pulled the disc tight to the chest getting the elbow forward somewhat you slowed down a lot with the arm pull. Which is an ok but a bit early to start the arm acceleration. Basically you were doing the right pec drill with a couple of extra inches of arm pull length. Meaning you were snapping more than pulling with great speed. Too bad all the energy you used getting there the arm was spent and worse than that you were bulging your arm muscles slowing down making it even even slower to accelerate again once you began doing that. It should be a continuous motion all the way through the throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:27 am

JR wrote:
bcsst26 wrote:
curt wrote:I am by no means an expert on such things, but there is something that looks a little weird to me. It seems that you decelerate to the right pec (almost stopping) before accelerating at that point. Does anyone else see this? If so, is it good or would a slow acceleration leading to a quick one from the pec on be better? (This is most visible to me on the first throw)

I can't really see this myself but not to good at this either. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

It was visible on the second throw too. As body part positioning and timing exercise it's ok to slow down or stop at different parts of the throw but in actual throws it's gonna rob power a lot. As you pulled the disc tight to the chest getting the elbow forward somewhat you slowed down a lot with the arm pull. Which is an ok but a bit early to start the arm acceleration. Basically you were doing the right pec drill with a couple of extra inches of arm pull length. Meaning you were snapping more than pulling with great speed. Too bad all the energy you used getting there the arm was spent and worse than that you were bulging your arm muscles slowing down making it even even slower to accelerate again once you began doing that. It should be a continuous motion all the way through the throw.

So suggestions on how to fix it? Is it something I should be concerned with right now or do you think it will fix itself as I add a walkup? I am thinking it is coming from thinking to much or trying to hard to get to the "right" positions. I know where I want to be but probably am forcing myself a little to much to get there instead of trusting myself and letting it flow. Maybe I just answered my own question??
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:38 am

You need to be able to throw smoothly even from standstill. You may have answered your own question. You could try a slow motion mock throw before throwing to verify the positions then just try it with concentrating on aiming meaning trusting in yourself to perform the throw as best you can -there's little point in second guessing yourself. The only way you can be sure of what happens is to video yourself save the analysis and doubts to after the throw. Maybe only thinking of late acceleration allows your natural throw to happen without worrying about things that could go wrong. Relax and just throw to see what happens and maintain that cool during throwing at least until the late acceleration begins.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:49 am

resistance bands have been helping me tremendously with late acceleration. I don't do much field work. Just some abdominal and arm work in the usual disc golf throwing positions. I go real light when i start pulling then i explode as i finish. also helping me keep my arm close to my body, so when I get out there my body naturally makes the motion as if i was pulling on a resistance band.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Previous

Return to Video Critique