Drive vides part deux

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Drive vides part deux

Postby roman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Got to use a friend's camera which shot at much better resolution than my old ass point and shoot. I love the slow mo! It really lets me see when I begin to accelerate and what my wrist is doing, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfR_jqHijY - now available in HD (if your computer can handle it)

Didn't have time to get any shots from the back because we only taped these while waiting for the last group of the doubles leagues to show up. I'm trying to fix things one at a time after taping my drives last week. Right now I'm mainly focusing on pulling through level and following through on the same plane. There are still a few quirks to work out, but it looks much better than my drives last week.

Feel free to comment.

edit- after reviewing it several more times and from the comments here, here's my laundry list of problems that I see that need to be corrected:

1. Get the pull even straighter, no dips. Keep the disc level.
2. Take a smaller plant step in my run up to ensure more weight over the front leg.
3. Improve the pivot of the plant foot to reduce stress on the knee (#2 may help this)
4. Wrist extension. Where is it? I don't see it. Time to go find it.
5. Later acceleration.
6. Begin pull later (after plant step)
Last edited by roman on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Drive vides part deux

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:18 pm

u look like a ninja on the first 2 slowmo shots. that is all :D

edit: it looks like you are gonna rip your knee apart the way you rotate on your heel. i might be wrong but try to be on your toes. i am usually incorrect on form issues but it just looks crazy bad(as in pain) by how fast you are twisting your heel/knee around.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jppbkm » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Well, as you well know, I am no expert :lol: when it comes to disc golf. It seems to me however that the next things to work on will be starting the throw more with the hips, getting the torso more faced to the target and working on a later pull.

Also, maybe you should try pivoting on your toes :twisted:
My Bag:

S Wizard
KC and DX Roc
X and Z Comet
DX and Pro Leopard
P and S PD
Star Firebird
Pro Wraith
Z Force
1 BEAT Eagle-L
jppbkm
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby roman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Yeah, I noticed that I'm starting my pull a bit early when I do a run-up.

Tomorrow is sidearm practice day. I got my beat glow Aviar out to about 200ft today with a slight headwind without turning it over too much, and it still faded back. You would've been proud.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:28 pm

your left leg kinda of swings around and it looks like you are throwing off-axis. should try the kick back like MB talks about in his video. just looks real straight and if i am correct(probably not :D) you need to be using that left leg to help push off and not have it just swinging around your body without any purpose. then again, i am only learning how to diagnose a throw and have very little idea about all this.
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby roman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Stop being so defensive! Let the criticism out, the more feedback the better. I appreciate it all.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:31 pm

roman wrote:Stop being so defensive! Let the criticism out, the more feedback the better. I appreciate it all.

i wish i knew enough to give real advice, i am just pointing out things that i have been working on :D. also just looking for something to distract me from studying for a test heh :D
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:45 am

I like what I saw. You're a quick guy. You'd be even quicker if you had more explosiveness from the hips. Your legs and arms are really quick already. If you could get variances fixed from throw to throw in getting the elbow forward that'd help with wrist extension and disc pivot not to mention repeatability. At times you're almost upper arm straight which is great but two inches more would be better and in other throws the elbow is 3" short of your best efforts. You could get the disc closer to the chest which would also increase the tendon loading and consequent unloading leading to harder snap at the wrist. Maybe you could use a looser grip early on to allow the wrist to flex back more while throwing. Were you trying to throw annies all the time? Your leg work was a bit to the left with the plant step of where it should be for a flat shot and 6"+ left of hyzer shots. Overall you don't have a lot to improve any more considering you already know what you're going after and are quite close. And quick. Oh to be young and healthy again :mrgreen:

With run ups your form breaks down. For repairing form while still moving try to slow the run up down enough that you can turn around as fast as you do with the slow steps you had in these videos but having more run up speed. And try to stiffen your upper leg muscles during the foot pivot after you've gotten the plant step shorter and the knee bent enough to get your heart over the right knee in back to front axis. This should stop you from flying forward and to the right in the follow through. This reduces the speed with which you spin around reducing spin (snap) on the disc. Also the linear speed can drop by less than 10 %. That 10 % increase comes from wrist extension but a part of it comes from pivoting faster on the foot which increases hip twist and shoulder turn speed each adding to plyometric loading that leads to a faster wrist snap forward thus contributing to that 10 % increase in linear speed of the disc according to measurements of Öystein Carlsen. Once you get more run up speed with good form rinse and repeat until you're at full run up speed and when you get the wrist action and disc pivot down you should throw really far. Mind you it might take Olympic athlete level right leg power to be able to pivot instead of flying forward at full run up speed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mzuleger » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:43 am

You're throw looks a lot like mine... I'm guessing you normally throw about 350-375 and occassionally wil get a couple out to 400+?

Anyway... (in addition to what was already said) to me it looks like you could still pull a little closer to your chest and you could probably clear your hips a little earlier... it looks a little late to me, looks like it's happening well after the disc is gone (I'm pretty sure it should happen at about the same time as your release).

If your throw really is similar to mine then you also need to work on wrist extension a little yet as well as some nose up issues... but lets hope we're not that similar right?
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby roman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:50 pm

mzuleger wrote:You're throw looks a lot like mine... I'm guessing you normally throw about 350-375 and occassionally wil get a couple out to 400+?

Anyway... (in addition to what was already said) to me it looks like you could still pull a little closer to your chest and you could probably clear your hips a little earlier... it looks a little late to me, looks like it's happening well after the disc is gone (I'm pretty sure it should happen at about the same time as your release).

If your throw really is similar to mine then you also need to work on wrist extension a little yet as well as some nose up issues... but lets hope we're not that similar right?

This is kind of freaky, but you're pretty much right on most of those assumptions.

And JR, thanks for the additional advice. If I'm ever out in Suomi, I'll definitely give you a ring so we can play a few rounds.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mzuleger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:57 am

roman wrote:
mzuleger wrote:You're throw looks a lot like mine... I'm guessing you normally throw about 350-375 and occassionally wil get a couple out to 400+?

This is kind of freaky, but you're pretty much right on most of those assumptions.

Yeah well... maybe I'll post a vid of my drive, it's like looking in the mirror.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby JR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:59 am

Hopefully I'm in playing condition as it seems I get injured every couple of years :-( But you're definitely welcome anyway.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique