a few putts

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

a few putts

Postby tumpsi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:37 am

Hello there.

Shot today a few putts with my crappy phone cam and decided to post 'em here to see what you guys think. The camera is on top of my DIY-basket. Couple bad putts on both vids, but mainly good ones. Distance is from 6 to 11m (20-36'), and obviously there's no wind because it's shot inside. Enjoy!

http://ama.kapsi.fi/putti.mp4
http://ama.kapsi.fi/putti2.mp4

PS. here's a photo gallery from European Open 2007, shot by a friend of mine. http://ama.kapsi.fi/EuropeanOpen2007/
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Re: a few putts

Postby rehder » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:23 am

your putt looks pretty solid, but you have some interesting pulling out to the left just before the putt.....dont know if its affecting you at all, but it looks kinda weird

But afaik one of the things Blake advocates is to stand still, just before the actual putt.

Feldberg for example makes som practice pumps, but then pauses and is still before his actual putt.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tumpsi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:23 am

rehder wrote:your putt looks pretty solid, but you have some interesting pulling out to the left just before the putt.....dont know if its affecting you at all, but it looks kinda weird

But afaik one of the things Blake advocates is to stand still, just before the actual putt.

Feldberg for example makes som practice pumps, but then pauses and is still before his actual putt.

I just noticed that weird right to left movement myself when I first watched those vids. Don't know if it affects my putts. I've been missing to the left most of my misses lately, maybe that's the reason why. I'll try to eliminate it tomorrow and see where it takes me.

I tried to live without the pendulum move for a couple dozen putts, but I couldn't get consistent releases. My comfort zone & power shrinked too. ALL the top pro's use the pendulum style, and so does the Borg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ez7XEQdsI
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mark12b » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 pm

tumpsi wrote:
rehder wrote:your putt looks pretty solid, but you have some interesting pulling out to the left just before the putt.....dont know if its affecting you at all, but it looks kinda weird

I just noticed that weird right to left movement myself when I first watched those vids. Don't know if it affects my putts. I've been missing to the left most of my misses lately, maybe that's the reason why. I'll try to eliminate it tomorrow and see where it takes me.

i've been working on getting rid of weak-side misses too. the advice i got from blake is to keep the shoulders square to the basket; lunging forward with the throwing shoulder can push those putts toward the opposite side. i think the weird extra wrist motion you're seeing is a compensation for the shoulder.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:02 am

The motion should be from the spine toward the pole in a straight line. It really takes a quick acceleration with the arm it's like punching.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Beetard » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:30 pm

You damn Canadians, goofin' off at work. The nerve.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby tumpsi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:55 am

now posting in an epic thread.
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby nohr » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:29 am

I always try to move in between my putts. When you are playing a round you are never going to step up and take 2 shots in a row. When I am out practicing I look crazy b/c I do a little circle step around after each putt.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby Beetard » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Nobody even said anything about my last post. Ya'll knew I was just foolin and sayin' dumb stuff. I must be getting too predictable.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby erb » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:09 am

looks like you have a problem with missing low on all of them...

One of my observations is that you don't seem to have any need to lift your left leg. When I lift my leg, it is because I have to, or I will fall over. Thats how much I am leaning ahead with my puts. Maybe (probably) you have a different put than me, so that might have something to do with it. But I would say try to put with your maximum extension, so you can get closer to the basket, and get your stroke longer. With a longer stroke you will make your puts less sensitive to your hand and more effected by your entire body. And it's a lot easier to screw up something with your hand than it is with your whole body. One way i learned how far my reach is, is to putt then with my leg still in the air i would bend over at the waist and pick up my Mini. You have to have that leg up and stretched out if you don't want to eat dirt. So with that exercise you can learn to make it so your hand upon release is as close as it can get it, and that you are using you whole body to put. Which will in tern will help to generate more power for the longer putts. But again there are so many putting styles out there that you are could be doing something completely different than me.
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby tumpsi » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Looks like you need goggles. There are 4 misses total, 1 left, 2 high, 1 low...

I used to putt with much more movement, especially on weight shift. A couple weeks ago I decided to move into a more minimalistic style, and I can see the progress in my game already. Much less things to fuck up, much less effort needed. You don't need a massive back and forth move. Just move your body enough to make your weight move over the disc. Watch the Borg, he is one of the best putters in the world, and his style is very minimalistic.
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby erb » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:25 pm

lol I don't think you got my joke, you were not hitting the screen thats what I meant by missing low

Yeah it's hard to tell if someone has a certain putting style or if they just don't know what they are doing. So I was not completely sure. Avery's a good putter to imitate, I myself try to putt like Ken "TanK" Franks. I watched him cash some putts in my first tourney in 40 mph wind at all sorts of distances. He made it look like putting is a joke, and the easiest part of the game. I said to myself this is the guy I'm going to start studding and want to putt like. Came to find out he is one of the best putters out there, and ironically he has stated that Avery's gave him some putting tips before. I too have seen great putting improvements with my style.
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:12 pm

tumpsi wrote:Looks like you need goggles. There are 4 misses total, 1 left, 2 high, 1 low...

I used to putt with much more movement, especially on weight shift. A couple weeks ago I decided to move into a more minimalistic style, and I can see the progress in my game already. Much less things to fuck up, much less effort needed. You don't need a massive back and forth move. Just move your body enough to make your weight move over the disc. Watch the Borg, he is one of the best putters in the world, and his style is very minimalistic.

There are definitely advantages to KISS approach but you still have that unique extra motion of the body in combination with the arm swing. Try having your chest square to the target and having the arm stroke be on the line from the spine to the pole for less variables. This will lessen power generation so it's better at close distances and needs more loft to compensate on longer throws. The upside to that is the slower disc speed at the basket for shorter second putts if the first one doesn't go in.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:19 am

Wow, tumpsi. I had no idea that you liked pearl necklaces so much! I'm sure you can find a nice young lad who will be more than happy to give you one.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby tumpsi » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:26 pm

what
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster