mzuleger's drive

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

mzuleger's drive

Postby mzuleger » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Here's my drive

There are a number of things I could be doing better but for simplicity's sake I'll let others point them out.

Throwing XL'x, teebirds and one X Avenger in this vid, I don't remember how far these were but I'm normally about 350-380.

Thanks in advance!
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Re: mzuleger's drive

Postby mzuleger » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:37 pm

here are the big things that I see:

1. Need to pull closer to my chest.
2. Need to work on clearing hips
3. Starting the hit too soon

Basically I need to start over (again). I think my problem was that I would work from the hit back during field practice but then would go back to my normal throw when I went to play a round... so now I'm going to throw from the pec for the next month, even when I go out and play a course. Hopefully that will help a little more.

any opinions?
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:07 pm

the most obvious thing i see is that you are not waiting for the weight shift before starting your pull, try consciously pulling a hair later and really focusing on weight shift
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:52 am

It seemed that you know you should move your arm level :-) See what happens once you plant 10" to the right keeping everything else in the x step and direction the same. Also bending the knees 15 degrees more will help with D. With the quick motion of the arm I'm not sure how far you get your elbow but it's quite far which is good but you're early with your hip twist at this point. Your chest should point 90 degrees left of the target when the elbow is out as far as it'll go. That being early with the quick part of the arm pull has roots in straightening the left knee early and a little too early hip twist. You're quite good with your hips and won't gain as much as many others who post vids here but still some slight increase in D is possible from getting it even faster.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mzuleger » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:10 am

Thanks guys!
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:19 am

You're arm throwing, remember that you need to generate rotational power from the bottom up to jesiton those discs out. Some of those throws, you're getting an early release. Either because of a loose grip or because of your chest rotating too fast and the disc coming away from your chest too early.

If you rotate with your lower body, you should get more rotational power and also push your weight forward more. That should give you a lower throw and better chance at nose down trajectory.

Try and keep the disc in tight to your forearm as long as you can, just like a whip. Then accelerate as late as you can.

Edit: You don't need to throw from the right pec position, just throw from a standing position. That'll be more productive and helpful in the long run. The right pec position is just a drill to help you understand "this is where I pull fast from". So from a standing position, reach back, pivot the hips and lightly pull the disc into your chest, then you should be in the right pec position as you extend and pull through. You should be able to work your way up to reaching 300' holes from a standing position and it will improve all your up shots or 2nd shots as you get better.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 06, 2009 12:16 pm

your throwing form is pretty good. it's nice and simple and not a lot of noise. basically, it's timing that is what separates you from 440' and 380'.

what jesse said is correct that you could probably pick up a lil more leg power if you delayed just a tiny tiny bit before starting your pull.

the real issue is that your shoulders move at a fairly constant speed. you basically have 1 big rotation. you go from turned away to faced up in 1 big swoop. this prevents your elbow from getting through to where it should be in order to hit the disc out in front of you.

process should be:
faced away.
shoulders parallel (right shoulder pointed at the target), disc passes from left side of body to near the right pectoral.
shoulders open up.

you'll probably have to slow down a bit to try and get this to happen but this is the next stage. you should pick up 20-30' just by hitting the disc 6-8" farther out in front of you.

1. Need to pull closer to my chest.
2. Need to work on clearing hips
3. Starting the hit too soon

out of these you clear the hip just fine. your hit actually happens too far back, but with your current body positions the timing of it is okay. hitting it farther out with these body positions/timing = grip lock. so technically, your hit is either late or early depending upon how you see it.

i will agree that you are about 4-6" too far from your body during your pull.

once you have this stuff down you can concentrate on building hit power. that will take a while and will probably require you to slow down a bit as you are peaking velocity before the power zone which makes accelerating through the hit impossible.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby mzuleger » Wed May 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Awesome. Thanks Blake.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DaPats » Sat May 09, 2009 6:44 am

Your walk up is right to left and you are throwing right. You should be trying more of an anny with that walk up in the video. that can be throwing of your timing. if you are going to throw right, your walk up should be left to right. if your going to throw straight, then you walk up straight. Grab some chalk, draw some lines on the cement. left to righy=hyzer, straight=straight, right to left=anny.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique