My Turn :D

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My Turn :D

Postby rusch_bag » Wed May 13, 2009 8:08 am

I can already tell that I am still an uncoordinated soccer player/track runner and my run up is still going to the left. I am also keeping the disc to far away from my body and I am releasing early. What else am I doing wrong?

From the rear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuOuSZr_BzQ

From the side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLYZAYJWsQ

edit - I also need a haircut I noticed. Also, this was after a week off so things may be off a little.

ps they are all Star Eagles
Last edited by rusch_bag on Wed May 13, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: My Turn :D

Postby black udder » Wed May 13, 2009 10:24 am

Looks like they're coming out early. Also, you're not weight forward. Not sure about nose down, but if you got more weight forward it would change the flight for sure.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 am

A faster left leg push starting later and bending the waist forward helps with getting the nose down. Twisting the hips a little faster and the shoulders somewhat faster helps snap. You follow through with a descending plane with the arm when the arm rises in the hyzer pull=OAT. Couple that to the anhyzer steps you get double whammy. Overall not too bad especially if you can start the fast part of the arm pull 8"+ later. Depending on how fast you can accelerate from low arm speeds to high.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rehder » Wed May 13, 2009 1:28 pm

I think you have a classic novice throw. You are missing the stage of getting your arm forward before rotating forward, you are not accelerating through the hit and you arent keeping the disc close enough to your body. You take a long plant step, which could give trouble with getting weight forward and hence keeping the nose of the disc down, but it looked most of the time as though you got forward enough.

Notice in the pic that your body is fully frontal to the direction of the throw, but your arm is lagging and not accelerating at all coupled with the fact that the disc is very far away from the body.

Your focus should be right pec drill to work on accelerating through the hit. watch the mb vids and also the latest from blueribbon pines and look at dans throws. He hits it extremely well.

EDIT: just noticed you knew about not keeping disc tight.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Wed May 13, 2009 6:16 pm

two things i saw:

1.) you are telegraphing and finishing hyzer.....from a technique standpoint this is good....if you want to throw hyzers
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... hing.shtml

check that link about shot telegraphing/forecasting...it may be a bit advanced but i still think it is good info....even from the still that rehder posted of you, you are showing hyzer....this maybe part of your early release issue

2.) depending on how far you truly throw, the star eagle may be the wrong disc for you....the star is the Eagle-X which is mad stable....i even have had weird release issues with dx eagles.....but that may be a fault in my mutant form

and to echo what the others are saying you are swinging your arm around and not pulling through....and lean into the throw more to get your weight forward.....masterbeato video and right pec drills will get you on the right path

also when you are making your throw don't grip the shit out of the disc....just hold it like an egg using your preferred grip method....when you get to the hit your hand will automatically grip the disc harder and you'll get good rip

i think that's all i got right now
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Banzai » Wed May 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Look how long that plant step is. If you shorten it up that might help with getting weight forward.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby rusch_bag » Wed May 13, 2009 8:24 pm

I am 5'8" so I do what I can. Can I hear some positive things to make me feel good about myself?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby keltik » Wed May 13, 2009 8:30 pm

no
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Wed May 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Positives: Like I said not too bad overall because you know already what you should do and training should take care of the issues because you know what to change into which direction. Your arm speed is not noob level at all so you've got a good potential for enough D to become competitive once you change what's been suggested here. i wouldn't wonder if you game transformed totally this season armed with this information. Happy field practice you're gonna love the results.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 13, 2009 11:34 pm

quick and dirty:

1. you said you had an early release but based upon your body placement the rear view throws look like grip locks.

2. your run up is pretty eratic and off balance. there doesn't seem to be a defined intent with each step. removing the bounciness should help that.

3. your left hip never gets closed during your reach back.

4. other stuff you already mentioned.

Notice in the pic that your body is fully frontal to the direction of the throw, but your arm is lagging and not accelerating at all coupled with the fact that the disc is very far away from the body.

Your focus should be right pec drill to work on accelerating through the hit. watch the mb vids and also the latest from blueribbon pines and look at dans throws. He hits it extremely well.

what rehder said is 100% correct.

partly why your plant step looks too long is that you aren't getting any push off your left leg. there's lots of bounce but you have to drive off your left leg into your right leg and dig the pivot.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby rehder » Thu May 14, 2009 12:01 am

ok, heres a positive and a disagreement with some of the others. Even with the long plant step you do get weight forward. You can see from the pic, that you are slightly forward. But you could make it even better by slightly shortening your plant step, and again to reiterate I think you would benefit most atm from doing the right pec drill. Changing and working on your runup wont get your pull in close and accelerating
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rusch_bag » Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 am

Thanks guys.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby Bugbee » Thu May 14, 2009 6:44 am

rusch_bag wrote: Can I hear some positive things to make me feel good about myself?

The fact that you read this forum frequently and put your video out here is super positive in terms of improving your golf game.
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 174g Z Predator

Postby black udder » Thu May 14, 2009 6:58 am

Add to it you're young, healthy and capable of improving with the help of some really great throwers on the forum here *and* that you're willing to learn. I'd guess you're already throwing okay, so with the exception of the old 2 steps back, 1 step forward thing while you work on form, you should only get better and what you learn here you can use for a lifetime :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby rusch_bag » Thu May 14, 2009 7:16 am

My tournament season is already done for the year because of the job I am starting this season so I will have lots of time to experiment with no reason to worry about playing worse in tournaments. I played in 5 since november, the first 4 were in INT and I got 2nd,2nd,1st,1st, and then I played my first advanced tournament a couple weeks ago and got 4th beating 20 some guys in my division. I have played 965 golf my last two tournaments so maybe this information will push me up to the next level.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Video Critique