My Turn :D

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: My Turn :D

Postby black udder » Thu May 14, 2009 8:15 am

965 golf is pretty good. Says to me it's not so much your driving form as much as your consistency. Probably taking 2 putts when you should take 1 and upshots that lead to long putts instead of short ones. The kind of stuff you *can* do, but just *don't* do as often as you'd like (or need to raise that 965).

Experience will help, just getting used to and better and focusing during play and being able to keep your act together during a not-so-stellar round to come out with something respectable instead of caving. Things you build on over time.

Keep it up and remember to enjoy it all along the way :) Even a bad score on the course is a great day playing disc golf.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby rusch_bag » Thu May 14, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm kind of confused about my feet. A couple people have mentioned stuff about my steps. I know I am drifting to the left but what do you guys mean I don't have "defined intent" with each step and a left leg push? I suppose with defined intent I am just running aimlessly which sounds about right and am I supposed to push with my legs like I am jumping or something?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby black udder » Thu May 14, 2009 1:22 pm

I'm going to guess based on my thoughts about what Blake's talking about, so he could mean something different.

Pushing off the left leg is easy. If you've read about getting weight forward, you've probably read from MB that one of the things that helps is to push off your left leg so you are on your plant (for you right) leg. You really can't lean back when balancing on one leg. By pushing off on that back leg you create more force from back to front as well as rotational torque for the rotation of your lower body. What you're doing is closing your hips and then opening them (check the technique for a sticky I created called technique primer - it has the video link for MB's discussion on hips). By pushing your back leg, you start give more power to that lower body rotation.

As for each step having intent. I would say that some folks just run up and throw. There's not a lot of reason behind why they step where they do. If you do the "work from the hit backwards" exercise, it takes you through deliberate steps and distances so that your approach to the throw is methodical. You step this far, in this direction so that it prepares you for the next step. Think of your run up like the precursor to an explosion of force. You want movement that's calculated and building, not just random and wild.

The really long final step doesn't help you that much because it caters to your wild side. A smaller step would allow you to get more weight forwards and be better balanced and more in control.

I've often thought of a thow like a wave building and crashing on the shore. It builds up, comes over then smashes down. That's the hit. A slow start that builds in intensity until you accelerate with your arm and wrist that results in a super fast hit and finish.

Having said all that, I don't come close to achieving it, but Dan does. Watch the videos with Dan (Masterbeato) playing and you'll see what your goal is. How in control he looks, but those discs go a LONG way.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby mzuleger » Sat May 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Good luck on the quest form better form, I know first hand that it can be pretty stressful. I will say that once you commit to correcting your form (through the right pec drill or whatever) it can be damn hard to stick with it in our area since 350' is all you need for pretty much any of the courses.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 17, 2009 12:35 pm

I'm kind of confused about my feet. A couple people have mentioned stuff about my steps. I know I am drifting to the left but what do you guys mean I don't have "defined intent" with each step and a left leg push? I suppose with defined intent I am just running aimlessly which sounds about right and am I supposed to push with my legs like I am jumping or something?

have you ever seen a placekicker line up for a field goal or extra point?

he steps off his steps in reverse order so that he knows exactly where to start from and pass through in order to get him into position to kick the ball with power and accuracy.

it seems like your steps don't contribute positively to timing and body positions that will strongly benefit your throw. if you compare where your body is on a stationary throw and with a runup, the runup throw should ideally take you through the same body positions you can achieve on a focused stationary throw. it seems your current runup doesn't bring you through those and is a bit out of control. make sense?
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby rusch_bag » Sun May 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Very much so. Thanks.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Previous

Return to Video Critique