OAT ATTACK

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

OAT ATTACK

Postby Aaron_D » Sat May 16, 2009 12:27 am

Ive been experimenting with some different body and hit positions the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGP1AYH-Gw&feature=channel_page

Then I got a sick case of the OATs! It happens from time to time when fiddling with my technique...Im getting bad nose up too. Does anyone see why this is happening? Seems like maybe wrist orientation. For the record Im "trying" to throw low line drive hyzer flips...although its hard to tell. Accuracy was not the goal, and I was trying to keep my run up short...but things got really oaty, real fast. So, I strung together a little clip of the worst offenders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcmLpxD9jwo&feature=channel_page

If nothing else this should give people a better idea of what a flight with a lot of OAT looks like.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Re: OAT ATTACK

Postby Star Shark » Sat May 16, 2009 1:14 am

In the first clip it looks to me like you're not entirely getting over your front foot. A little weight back will give you that nose up you were worried about.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Craig Smolin » Sat May 16, 2009 7:20 am

first ... good form ... clean steps, solid hip turn, and good acceleration / follow through ...

when I get some OAT issues, the first issue is usually related to my lead shoulder (I throw RHBH, so this would be my right shoulder). When it "flies open", I pull my drives high and right. I then try to focus on keeping it "closed" all the way from reach back to follow through.

I also find OAT happening when I accelerate too quickly, and get my hips back to the target too early.

Another issue is related to my reach back. I shorten my reach back for slower discs. A putter or mid-range doesn't require as much arm speed to get up to cruising speed. I tend to strong-arm putters with reach backs that are too long, which dissipates my "snap".

Last issue I could think of, is how you "telegraph" your disc during the reach back, and then "transfer" that arm angle into the throw and follow-through. Any minor change to that initial angle will impart some OAT. And if the discs you were throwing are susceptible to "squirrellism" :wink: then that OAT will be magnified.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Sat May 16, 2009 7:38 am

solid advice craig! I think a lot of it was my wild shoulders. I was trying to throw too much rather than just trusting my technique. Earlier in the day I was throwing much better but I didnt have my camera...I think I was reaching back less. The camera shows up and I try and impress all the ladies...

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby JR » Sat May 16, 2009 10:27 am

As you're twisting with the hips you lean to he right greatly adding anhyzer angle. That increased shoulder turn is fine once you master it just look at Källström for proof. at least the practice will improve your quick cells. You had varying plant positions. Gotta look out for anny plant with hyzer arm. Maybe the addedeffortadded speed and the discs need more initial hyzer angle.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rehder » Sat May 16, 2009 4:38 pm

tbh, I didnt find the OAT to be bad at all in the videos, you released a bunch of them flat and followed through flat, so not really hyzerflips and this might be why you are turning stuff over bad?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Craig Smolin » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 am

I agree with the above, which is why I made the suggestions that I did ...

not really OAT issues, as much as it might be the stability of the disc and your throwing angle. as I posted as well, the only form issue might be with your lead shoulder opening a bit too early.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Sun May 17, 2009 7:56 pm

rehder wrote:tbh, I didnt find the OAT to be bad at all in the videos, you released a bunch of them flat and followed through flat, so not really hyzerflips and this might be why you are turning stuff over bad?

Now I don't feel so bad thinking, "isn't how they're supposed to fly?"

Just looks like you threw some less overstable stuff on a flat release with your sick arm speed and power. Might have caught something a tad anhyzer, which with your velocity, wouldn't need much to send it that way. I don't know if you were doing anything with your wrist, but I agree that it looked like your shoulders were on plane.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 18, 2009 12:59 am

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby inthedrift » Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 am

Nice! How did you do that by the way? You and Beato both have such great form.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 am

man...it would take me like 5 pages to explain it! In the end it all came down to windows movie maker...! You have to find the split screen xml but tweaking the synchronization of the two clips was a pain and it still isnt perfect. The video capture software I used was just the first program I found on a google search and I think it degraded the video a lot.

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Aaron,

it's a combination of body positions and shoulder rotation and some timing.

it's some weight back and some upper body lunge that forces the body positions leading to the right shoulder torquing stuff over. your follow through on those is how i throw turnovers that i force over intentionally.

seems like your hip/shoulder timing together is a bit hosed too... which would explain the nose up issues as well. i think you have the strength to torque a nose up throw nose down but if your shoulder is way late in the rotation it robs you of that strength.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Aaron_D » Tue May 19, 2009 9:46 pm

seems like your hip/shoulder timing together is a bit hosed too

cold hearted.

your shoulder is way late in the rotation

I think god hates me. This is just so weird for me. Some days I can feel it, but most of the time it's when I use almost no reach back. So, I basically have two throws for max D...

One is with almost no run up where I dont reach back with the center of the disc much past the middle of my chest. I turn more away from my target with my torso during the reach back and dont rotate as far towards the target with my chest but the hit occurs more outside and to the right of my right pec than normal. A lot like this throw but with the hit more out to the right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4fo1o_ExDA&feature=channel_page

The other is with a major shoulder lead and an early hit than happens more towards my left pec...strangely with this throw I rotate more towards the target with my torso during the pull and follow through. A lot like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc5ciYo_kt8&feature=channel_page

With these next throws it felt like I was coming closer to something but I was really just messing around with leg work...timing is a bitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rCNWo48UN8&feature=channel_page

Which one would you say is more technically sound and why? 500 word minimum. Due 8am. :lol: 8) :twisted:

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 pm

The the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the answer is seven.

i'm sleep deprived and have been battling allergy/sinus related headaches all week. i'll try to get to it later.

Aaron_D wrote:cold hearted.

maybe so, but if it wasn't the truth you wouldn't have been OATing :P.

since this is the video critique forum maybe i'll have someone make up the hugs & back patting video watching group forum :)
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Aaron_D » Thu May 21, 2009 12:12 am

hugs & back patting video watching group forum

I volunteer to moderate it! You are officially banned. :mrgreen:

Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Next

Return to Video Critique