my standstill drill - good form?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

my standstill drill - good form?

Postby doublej » Sat May 23, 2009 10:54 pm

ok, so i'm trying to work on my throw - starting from a standstill and working from there. i throwing mostly wizards and warlocks, with an occasional aviar or rhyno mixed in. today i was getting out to about 160-170 i'd say, with a few breaking out to the 180 range. my goal is good form at this point that i can build on, not so much maxing out my D. every now and again one would just "feel" right (like 1 in 20), but consistently all the pieces just don't seem to be adding up for a smooth, fluid feel..... also i have been having issues with a lot of throws "sliding" off to the right - the disc is perfectly flat, just come out then "slides"...anyway, if anyone has any insight please help!! i really want to commit to building good form...thanks!

jason

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6jUbtdGqIFj_zO4C-YpWYw?feat=directlink
doublej
Noob

Re: my standstill drill - good form?

Postby JR » Sun May 24, 2009 12:45 am

This is a good way to practice. You aren't going too fast which adds speed to learning because it's easier to control the body. You aren't twisting the hips to the right and turning the shoulders much at all before the hit. The disc is too far away from the body and that is helped by hitting the elbow forward out from the side. You should try to get the elbow away from the side by about 4" farther than now perhaps a little more. Once you achieve those positions it's time to start adding more power while maintaining the form. It's a good start where you're at.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Timko » Sun May 24, 2009 8:16 am

You have the same torque component in your throw that I struggle with. Namely, you're releasing the disc on a higher plane than your elbow, creating the right torque you speak of. I normally compensate by throwing very high off my chest, similar to Avery Jenkins high throw, which pushes the nose of my disc up a bit, but can be used to negate the difference in vectors between your elbow and the disc.

You may also find that your lower body can be manipulated more to put your elbow in the right slot for a clean thrown. I've recently been focusing more on my lower body to get me arm in position with good results, but don't really understand enough about it to describe it to someone else.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby doublej » Sun May 24, 2009 8:18 am

Hey JR, thanks for the reply.

You should try to get the elbow away from the side by about 4" farther than now perhaps a little more

do you mean get my elbow more toward the target? just want to make sure i get it
doublej
Noob

Postby black udder » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 am

Go into the technique forum and check out the stuff in the technique primer if you haven't. Then ask questions about stuff you don't understand.

Right now, you're not getting any speed or power from your legs/hips and you're not pulling the disc close enough to your chest for long enough. I'd guess that you're not getting much snap either, so you'll need to figure out tendon bounce/wrist extension.

You look relaxed though, which is good. It's a great way to start with a bunch of putters.

Yes, you should get your elbow up and smack it at your target.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby cmlasley » Sun May 24, 2009 5:48 pm

It looks to me like you are rolling your wrist a bit. Pay attention to the orientation of your thumb through and after the hit. Keep that thing parallel to the ground through the hit, and if anything, roll it under late in the follow through to allow your arm to get around your back.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby doublej » Sun May 24, 2009 7:09 pm

thanks for all the input...haven't been able to get back out into the field...wont stop raining around here. on a different note, anyone know of a program that allows you to view videos frame by frame? i think i may be able to spot some of the things i am doing if i can look at them really slowly. i have a hard time seeing things like thumb position at full speed
doublej
Noob

Postby cmlasley » Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Quicktime.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby JR » Mon May 25, 2009 12:33 am

doublej wrote:Hey JR, thanks for the reply.

You should try to get the elbow away from the side by about 4" farther than now perhaps a little more

do you mean get my elbow more toward the target? just want to make sure i get it

You're welcome. Yes you got it. A player called Media Player Classic has a function that allows to pause the video by pressing arrow right button and each repeated stroke advances the video by one frame.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique