Criticism please!

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Criticism please!

Postby MrScoopa » Tue May 26, 2009 5:35 pm

A long story short: I have a matured forearm throw, however my backhand is still in its childhood. Up until the last 3 months I haven't used a backhand except for putting. Which from reading isn't all to uncommon! As a side note I am trying to add a reachback after noticing in the video that i didn't even have one :oops:! My average throw is 230' - 250'. Anyways, feedback is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMQWGi-8pQ

Some stills after the run up:

T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Re: Criticism please!

Postby JimW » Tue May 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Criticism please!

The color of your shorts clashes with that of your shirt.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby mark12b » Tue May 26, 2009 6:09 pm

what kind of grip are you using? the thumb looks awful close to the edge, which could be causing some slippage. for most grips, thumb should be pressing down on the flightplate just above the index finger (so, about an inch from the edge).

looks like at the hit you're decelerating rather than accelerating, but i can't really explain what to do differently.

if you're only getting out to 230-250 right now, you might as well get rid of the runup as it's just screwing with your timing.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Tue May 26, 2009 7:14 pm

Don't worry about reaching back. Just worry about getting your shoulders turned away from the target, which you are doing fine. You really need to work on late acceleration. Turn toward the target as if in slo-mo, then when the disc gets to the middle of your chest, go like hell.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Beetard » Tue May 26, 2009 7:30 pm

I think you should not curl your arm around the disc when you reach back.

Take a look at your current reachback. If that were a straight arm reachback, the disc would be way to the right side of your body, meaning that you're majorly pulling from outside to in.

Try a straight reach back with your arm folded over to the point that the disc is lined up with your left shoulder.

Now from this maximum reachback position, twist your body forward and feel how this motion pulls your disc through nice and tight.

If this made sense, it'll probably add 40 feet the first time you try it.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby MrScoopa » Tue May 26, 2009 7:47 pm

The color of your shorts clashes with that of your shirt.

I know, totally.

what kind of grip are you using? the thumb looks awful close to the edge, which could be causing some slippage. for most grips, thumb should be pressing down on the flightplate just above the index finger (so, about an inch from the edge).

looks like at the hit you're decelerating rather than accelerating, but i can't really explain what to do differently.

I like the Ken Climo "fork grip". I will try moving my thumb more onto the flight plate to prevent premature release. I do see my arm is moving faster at the middle of my chest than even the follow through.

Don't worry about reaching back. Just worry about getting your shoulders turned away from the target, which you are doing fine. You really need to work on late acceleration. Turn toward the target as if in slo-mo, then when the disc gets to the middle of your chest, go like hell.

I will definately work on late acceleration. Thanks for the tip - it helps me to visualize!

I think you should not curl your arm around the disc when you reach back.

That is one of the crazy things I didn't even realize I was doing until I did the video.

[quote]If this made sense[quote]
Crystal clear.

Thanks for all of the advice. All is welcome!!
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Tue May 26, 2009 9:31 pm

MrScoopa wrote:

I like the Ken Climo "fork grip". I will try moving my thumb more onto the flight plate to prevent premature release.

ok, yeah, for most throws that's what i use too... pushing the thumb out toward the edge can help get the nose down but for me the loss of grip strength isn't worth it.

if you haven't seen bradley's "fling" video, you should check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6955

the idea of the thumb/finger pivot is helpful when you're working on your grip.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue May 26, 2009 10:06 pm

Climo suggests pushing down hard with the thumb against the index finger on DVD and also toward the rim on youtube probably in the FGCU clinic. Try to kick hard with the left leg to get weight forward more and really twist with the hips and yank the shoulders late in the throw for more power generation. The shoulder yank should occur just prior to the disc releasing and the range of motion at full effort is just inches. And it should continue after the disc has left. Quite nice now see how much power you can add without the form breaking up. Videoing helps to monitor that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MrScoopa » Thu May 28, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks guys! I now know what it is like to throw in the 300' range.
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 pm

you are clearly not opening your hips!

face your hips forward and throw out in front of you.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby MrScoopa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks masterbeato! I see what your are talking about, and I clearly remember reading about it many times. It just wasn't sticking in my head.

So, I went out today with my wife. She didn't feel up to playing so she just watched my form, and told me if my hips were clearing. By my 7th hole I knew whether or not my hips were opening on their own by the feel of everything. The 3 coolest things happend: One I actually felt - for the first time mind you - the disc RIP out of my hand! As it did my wife and I clearly heard a loud "SNAP"! :lol: Honestly, I figured my hands might have been to small to do that, guess not. Second, it was truly effortless! Finally, even through I was throwing with about 50% power the disc almost went as far as it normally would without incorporating a reachback( between 230 - 250'). Amazing! At first I was using the reachback, but it seems to be throwing off my timing at this point.

I am taking it slow. If i move to fast I go back to my old ways. Out of muscle memory I guess.

Things are starting to click thanks to all of you :wink:
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:42 am

good to hear!

now that you have the feel for it, harness it, and get your timing in order!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 am

MrScoopa wrote:Thanks masterbeato! I see what your are talking about, and I clearly remember reading about it many times. It just wasn't sticking in my head.

So, I went out today with my wife. She didn't feel up to playing so she just watched my form, and told me if my hips were clearing. By my 7th hole I knew whether or not my hips were opening on their own by the feel of everything. The 3 coolest things happend: One I actually felt - for the first time mind you - the disc RIP out of my hand! As it did my wife and I clearly heard a loud "SNAP"! :lol: Honestly, I figured my hands might have been to small to do that, guess not. Second, it was truly effortless! Finally, even through I was throwing with about 50% power the disc almost went as far as it normally would without incorporating a reachback( between 230 - 250'). Amazing! At first I was using the reachback, but it seems to be throwing off my timing at this point.

I am taking it slow. If i move to fast I go back to my old ways. Out of muscle memory I guess.

Things are starting to click thanks to all of you :wink:

Congrats on the finds. Must be nice to have a wife who actually can analyze your form. I ask my wife to help out and try to pinpoint things, but she just looks at me like I am crazy. Guess that is why I have a video recorder. To do the work that my wife won't.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby MrScoopa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:43 pm

now that you have the feel for it, harness it, and get your timing in order!

Now, that I know what that feels like it doesn't seem like a shot in the dark! Thank you.

Congrats on the finds. Must be nice to have a wife who actually can analyze your form. I ask my wife to help out and try to pinpoint things, but she just looks at me like I am crazy. Guess that is why I have a video recorder. To do the work that my wife won't.

Yes, I grealtly appreciate it. Without it I don't think I'd have the feeling of what is right. On one hole I threw 5 throws, each time she said, "Your hips didn't open". It was annoying lol, but a must and extremely helpful. I moved onto the next hole because my head was filling up with everything I was supposed to be doing. I was trying to hard, and was tense. In her words I was "just doing the motions".

As always, thanks and all advice is welcome.
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique