High Speed Camera: Drive

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

High Speed Camera: Drive

Postby Toomes » Fri May 29, 2009 7:14 am

I just bought a Casio EX-FC100, which are the new and cheaper Casio Digital Cameras that do high speed video. I don't have much video yet, but here's one of my drives I filmed yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deP-WIMuElQ

It's much easier for me to tell that my body positions are a little off (not turning my shoulder soon enough, weight could be a little more forward) and I'm accelerating too early, which in turn means I'm releasing early.

Anyone see anything else to critique?
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Re: High Speed Camera: Drive

Postby JR » Fri May 29, 2009 7:31 am

I'd like to see less contact between the sole of the plant foot and the ground. You never get the disc close enough to the chest. Try to get your elbow forward about 7-8" while keeping the disc close to the chest and you'll have corrected the timing of the acceleration(start here because the disc will be close to the pec), will add snap and will rotate faster toward the target for added power. More of that will come when you twist harder with the hips. Wait for the beginning of the elbow chop until the disc is close to the pec and the elbow is 8" closer to the target. You were too early in this vid with the beginning of the elbow chop.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rehder » Fri May 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Its hard for me to tell with the slomo drives, but to me it doesnt look like you are accelerating at the hit....
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Toomes » Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah, after watching it several times it looks like I'm accelerating too early, while the disc is first crossing in front of my chest.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby rehder » Fri May 29, 2009 3:47 pm

its cool, its what 95% of golfers struggle with...myself included

BTW check Dan's 'little' upshot at 5:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
thats acceleration
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby masterbeato » Fri May 29, 2009 6:45 pm

acceleration is the least of your problems right now. yes granted that you are not accelerating and you can be working on that, but just try and work on releasing out in front of you. your releasing on the side and not getting that extra extension.

where you are releasing right now is where you should continue to pull tight through your right pec!

plus, your weight shift is just a tad behind your plant foot, try getting a little more over like you said. getting more push from that push off leg will steer your body forward (or should!).
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Toomes » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:01 am

masterbeato wrote:acceleration is the least of your problems right now. yes granted that you are not accelerating and you can be working on that, but just try and work on releasing out in front of you. your releasing on the side and not getting that extra extension.

where you are releasing right now is where you should continue to pull tight through your right pec!

I've have had some drives lately where I feel I've released out in front of my body and the extra extension does add a lot of power. The problem is I tend to spray the disc right, kind of like a grip lock. How do I get the extra extension without releasing late?
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 am

Being in the same boat as you, I can only guess, but my guess is that it's a timing issue. You're rotating too far around prior to the hit.

I've asked for Joe to see if he can't make some slo-mo drives of Dan so we can see where he's positioned at the hit and how he's rotating through. If you have any local folks that can drive well, see if you can film them and see where they are at the hit and as they rotate through.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Toomes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:58 pm

black udder wrote:If you have any local folks that can drive well, see if you can film them and see where they are at the hit and as they rotate through.

I actually got some good video of one my buddies that can throw 500+.

High Speed Drive Chapel Hill Hole #14

He parked this 415ft hole with a pure XCal hyzer. He does a great job of keeping the disc close to his chest, getting his elbow out in front and releasing out in front of his body.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Man, I've obviously got something wrong, because while he pulls that disc in tight at the beginning, it's WAY away from his chest at one point. He's really doing an elbow chop and probably lots of wrist snap/extension. Don't doubt the distance, just would have thought he was closer further through the pull.

Would love to hear some comments from the bombers.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby black udder » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Oh, and since you're in NC, would love to see some other angles and more throws from some other folks. That camera is awesome! Thanks :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Toomes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 pm

I was planning on maybe getting some video of some of the pros around here Schweb, Hofmann, JJ, etc. We shall see.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby sunspot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 pm

DCC wrote:I was planning on maybe getting some video of some of the pros around here Schweb, Hofmann, JJ, etc. We shall see.

Yeah, that would be great.

Maybe you could set up the different angles like Blake has it on the video analysis section.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Toomes » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:08 pm

I messed around with the camera some more yesterday. I got some different angles at a bunch of different speeds (210, 420 and 1000fps plus 720p video). It's just me again, so please critique if you see anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Zo1wXVCVs&feature=channel_page

The drive with the Striker around the 1 min mark went around 415ft using the GPS on my iPhone. It seems like I got the release more out in front, which gave me the extra distance. I don't throw over 400ft very often, so it's a really good throw for me.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby Star Shark » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:55 pm

From that last side angle one thing stood out to me. You don't take a very long reach back at all. Extend that a bit. Get your shoulders and hips turned more away from the target.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Next

Return to Video Critique