High Speed Camera: Drive

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: High Speed Camera: Drive

Postby JR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:39 am

Repeat of what I wrote earlier and second to what animix wrote. Also you could twist the hips farther to the left in the reach back while reaching the arm farther back. Can you see how the disc gets farther away fro the torso while the elbow chops? When you get the elbow away from the torso more before chopping the elbow the disc won't move as much sideways. More important than that is that keeping a straighter line all the while during the arm pull increases the time window of releasing in the right direction. Adding consistency.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Toomes » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:14 am

Thanks JR. I think that explains why I'm spraying the disc right when I do actually release more out in front of my body. I've got a laundry list of things to work on: more reach back, straighter pull, keeping the disc closer to my body, more elbow chop, later acceleration, more weight forward and releasing more out in front.

The funny thing is I feel like I'm only a little off on a bunch of things. I'll definitely work on these suggestions because I'm ready to get off of this 380-400ft plateau I've been stuck on for the last year or two.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:01 am

Sometimes it's amazing what a few inches can do. And getting the elbow closer to he target far way from the side chest facing 90 degrees left of he target before the elbow chops open should be very high up in the list. Have fun in the field you'll love the results eventually. You're so far along the path already that it may be difficult to push through those changes because they require a good deal of body control which seems to be surprisingly difficult to achieve.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Beetard » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:16 am

I would say reach back a little lower, it will make your pull straighter.

Like everybody else said, get more extension on your reachback. Get to where your upper back is turned 180 degrees and the disc is over 200 degrees.

Looks to me like you're getting into the upper range of what people can do without big snap. Do your throws feel effortless? Only needs a couple minor tweaks before you're ready to learn snap.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby masterbeato » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:17 pm

the more i look at your drive the more i see pulling tight is not really the issue, you do it at the right time but it is wrist extension your clearly not doing. i would work on that man because your not letting your wrist open it is staying closed.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Beetard » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:28 pm

See? look what Dan just said.

Snap = wrist extension.

I wasn't ready for it when I visited Blake, but I'm getting closer. What Blake told me is that the elbow has to stop while the shoulder keeps moving.

I was trying to find a video of a true catapult, [couldn't] but I think the arm of a catapult stops when it lauches its projectile.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Postby masterbeato » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:38 pm

Beetard wrote:
Snap = wrist extension.

wrist extension = snap =P
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:25 pm

A trebuchet IIRC has the arm ht the frame of the device coming to a dead stop and the probably leather sling that holds the shot swing from lagging behind the arm to past the arm releasing the shot. This is similar to what beetard recalls as Blake's words about the elbow stopping (arm of the trebuchet) and the wrist snapping forward in the wrist extension (the sling and shot of the trebuchet).
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:12 am

Beetard wrote:See? look what Dan just said.

Snap = wrist extension.

I wasn't ready for it when I visited Blake, but I'm getting closer. What Blake told me is that the elbow has to stop while the shoulder keeps moving.

I was trying to find a video of a true catapult, [couldn't] but I think the arm of a catapult stops when it lauches its projectile.

Interesting concept. Now is this something you concentrate on, can you practice it, or do does it just happen??
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Beetard » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:03 am

No. You gotta practice it and find the feel for sure.

And this is what all the right pec drill stuff is about. Not many people can feel it before they know what they're looking for on a long reachback throw.

It's a whole new ballgame.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:30 am

Beetard wrote:No. You gotta practice it and find the feel for sure.

And this is what all the right pec drill stuff is about. Not many people can feel it before they know what they're looking for on a long reachback throw.

It's a whole new ballgame.

Hmmm interesting. So you got any drills that you came up with to practice it? So at what point would the elbow stop? Would it be something like this. You lead with the elbow getting it as close to the target as possible, then open up with the shoulders, the elbow moves a little to the right and stops while the lower arm chops out, wrist extension, then boom? I am just trying to visualize it. I am interested on how one would practice it or recognize it.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Beetard » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:43 am

Blake had me trying to snap a towel while while doing the backhand throw motion. I even sucked at that.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Postby black udder » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:58 am

It's one of those "understand the concept and objective, then work on what feels right for you" things. I'll see if I can explain it clearly, then you can work on how the timing works for you to get it.

Stand like you would for a standing throw. Extend your arm toward your target. That's where your elbow stops. Now, you need to work on what comes up to that to put you in the best position there and where to rotate your upper body so you don't lock your elbow at that point.

Blake had said something to me similar to this. You turn away from your target and hold the disc rather loosely. You could pull it right out of my hand. You turn 90 degrees so your right shoulder is facing the target. No arm pull, just guide the disc into around the center of your chest keeping the arm and grip loose. As your arm comes across and starts to go out towards the target (with the wrist bent in a little) you start to pivot your shoulders around. As the disc is going away from you (about a foot or so) you should feel the disc start to move. At that point, your grip should tighten a little automatically. That's when you clamp down and PULL. Your shoulders should come around at about the time you get to an almost full extension of your arm and then pull the elbow off it's line, but the disc should be gone by then. Your forearm continues to speed through the hit and into the finish.

It made an immediate difference in my throwing. Probably 25' of distance with less stress on my body. Discs also reacted quite differently. My 170g SOLS which was not turning over much turned fairly easily, not to a roller, but it really needs 20'+ unless I release it with hyzer.

Edit: If you watch the feldberg video, you can see him IN around his left hip area, then he's away from his body after that, but the elbow stops and it's elbow chop, tendon bounce and the last second grip and pull timing.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:33 am

The snapping of a towel sounds like something I will try when I get home. See if I can do it. I think I have gotten this when throwing the last couple of times but couldn't put it into words. The disc just took off. It is all of these little "tweakings" of my form that are making the difference. I am pretty much still throwing from a standstill but probably will for a while until I feel like I have it and build up more consistency. Anyways thanks for putting things into words. I will see what it gets me tonight and will probably ask more questions tomorrow :wink:
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Rickg » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Yeah, I finally just started getting "it" on Sat. Whipped a few putters with some snap on em that pushed 300. I will still be doing the standstill to get it ingrained before putting in a step or two.

Rick
Rickg
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique