Please Dissect My Extremely Beginner Drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Please Dissect My Extremely Beginner Drives

Postby Firios » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:40 pm

The second video is, after my own viewing, better by far. I feel like I am moving my hips too early, and it isn't really giving me any additional power. Anything relevant advice would be great. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCUdRKEvBf4 (worse one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lq27p3MX38 (better one)

The first one ended up slightly high, and the second one had the desired flight path (straight line drive with the usual fade)
Firios
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Re: Please Dissect My Extremely Beginner Drives

Postby Beetard » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:22 pm

I like what I see, you're on the right track.

You do not strong-arm. Kudos. You're turning your shoulders away from and then toward where you are throwing, thus pulling your arm through.

Your back stays very vertical. This means you keep a tight axis, which means your body can spin faster

but

Your weight is not forward. I'm sick of the crappy explanations of what weight forward means, but as soon as I get my video camera back, I'm gonna splain it on youtube. You look similar to Avery Jenkins in this regard of your throw. And it's where most of your nose-up issues are coming from.

You also need to unbend that elbow when you reach back, just like I told mr scoopa on his video. Reach back toward your left shoulder WITH A STRAIGHT ARM.

A couple minor changes and you could be throwing over 300.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Redisculous » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:40 pm

nonsense Beetard, you & MB did a fantastic job of explaining weight forward in this thread :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9116

Helped me a ton and it can help you too.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Firios » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:47 pm

Hmm, weight forward definitely makes sense in terms of what is wrong. I've done my fair share of reading up on this concept, and when I do a single hop, I feel like I end up in a weight forward position. When I'm doing the X-Step, it becomes tougher. Being clumsy, it is enough for me just to focus on the weight shifts from left foot -> right foot. I assumed that by focusing shifting to my other foot it would get my center of balance over the disc, but this video does demonstrate that it is not.

As far as the arm outreach, do I start with my arm straight, or do I pull back early on in my approach steps?

Thanks for the compliments, I avoid overarming, as I have definitely been guilty of this before, of trying to work on my drives the same day as I do something arm intensive. If my arm is sore or tired, it definitely (at this point of my progression) helps me to avoid trying to put too much power on it.

I'm heading on a vacation tomorrow, so I probably won't be able to post another vid any time soon, but hopefully I can push past my plateau.
Firios
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Postby Redisculous » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Check out the driving with Dan Beato vid (stickied in the technique forum) he talks about getting his weight forward too.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby JR » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Before adding more leg speed see what reaching back farther with the arm in the reach back does for you. Then try to really twist hard with the hips and turn the shoulder too. Currently you don't get any power from the second largest muscle group around the torso which hurts both linear speed and spin rate on the disc.

I suggest seeing the difference between turning by your legs only and twisting to the right quick quick quick from the hips and shoulders in a very quick learning curve. But first warming up and stretching thoroughly is gonna help a lot not only for health but actual performance improvements. So you really get and feel the difference never mind possible form deficiencies at high speeds. Starting with what you do now then immediately afterward focus solely on twisting as quickly to the right as you can with the hips. Third throw adding shoulder turn. If that didn't show a difference redoing should help. If there still ain't a revelation then it's a bit slower. Try to repeat the hip twist faster each time until you notice a difference. Then the whole show with the shoulders added. Shoulders may need the added speed training repetitions as well.

Things will get harder when adding speed. Don't mind it we all need to wade through that swamp. Very few get the timing, motions, power generation, body control etc. right in the first day. Especially when trying to combine all the new motions. That usually takes a lot of time even at less than full power. In this point it's more important to get the concept and how it feels and how you need to utilize the body and how to add more speed and effort so that you get goals to strive for in later practicing. Which should be done at a field not on a course.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique