Critique Please

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique Please

Postby Sheen » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Hey, been reading here for a long time, but this is my first post. This site has been absolutely wonderful... very informative! I've been playing for a couple of years now. I play semi-seriously during the summer months but had to take a good break during the school year due to lack of time/transportation. Anyways most of these drives were in the 320-360 range by my best estimate.

Any advice is welcome and wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koy9yyimH9o
Sheen
Noob

Re: Critique Please

Postby black udder » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:21 pm

not bad at all. If you're actually getting that distance, then it would imply that nothing is too terrible and that timing is your biggest challenge.

Looks like you could get betting the shoulders around a little early on some as well as perhaps pulling a little early.

can't see if you have weight forward or not, but you're getting the disc nose down and you're moving in control and throwing pretty smooth.

Looks good.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Welcome.

A good place to continue from form wise. Your fourth drive had a healthy heel pivot that could've been better with less sole to ground area. The first three were taxing your ankle, knee and hip. Were you intentionally trying to anhyzer? Your final step should plant 6+ inches to the right for flat shots. Your arm followed through a couple of degrees lower than the arm pull. That's minor but it still flips the disc bit and especially in the wind consistency might suffer from it. These things cumulate. If you manage to delay the beginning of the quick acceleration with the arm till the disc is by the right pec or the rear of the disc has passed you should see a different flight path and a faster longer flight. Counter intuitive I know. It's also personal because not everyone has the body control or quickness needed initially. A bit more weight forward and if you can manage it a slightly sharper left leg push and hip twit and you'll be set. With practice you should get quite far along this summer from such a good starting position.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:35 pm

my advice has little to do with your form, and more about how you look physically(not being gay).

you look real tense/tight, maybe that is just nerves from the camera. I may be crazy here, and honestly my advice probably is not the best but looking at your off arm it seems like you put a lot of energy into keep that arm stiff, so you are probably doing that in other parts of your body. it makes you look almost robotic/rigid in some of the motions. relax some of those muscles until the moment of the "hit". that way you explode through it, and not before it. idk my advice may be totally crazy, but you just seem real stiff. just doesn't look as "natural" as some throws I have seen here
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Beetard » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:23 pm

Your 4th drive was the best for sure. You had a good tight reachback on all throws.

It looks like you're starting your pull before you plant your foot, an issue I'm also struggling with. The effect of pulling before I plant seems to be making me off-balance, robbing power, and makes me pull my drives to the right.

Try to peak your reachback as you plant your last step see if that helps you at all, and let us know.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Sheen » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Much appreciated!

I have some interesting things to think about next time I go out to the field. I knew I was probably starting my pull to early, but I'm still working on it. All the other stuff is new and I'm going to have to try and work it into my form.
Sheen
Noob

Return to Video Critique